Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

to julie, our traveler

Posted by nancy s. on 1/16/03 at 13:23 (105613)

Welcome Back, Julie! a big welcome back. the boards seem sporadic to me these days -- but maybe it's just me.

as you know i just had half a major root canal (i mean it's a major root canal and only half done) on an excruciatingly painful tooth (oh boy, i just can't wait till the second half). i can usually forgo the pain meds, but not this time. so i'm behind and out of it and all that, but i was wondering:

could you tell us a bit about your trip here? it would be a nice distraction, and besides, i'm very interested. please?

thank you, glad you're back, love & peace,

nancy

Re: to julie, our traveler

Suzanne D on 1/16/03 at 13:52 (105616)

Yes, welcome back, Julie! I hope it was a very enjoyable trip for you! Please tell us about your adventures when you have time.

Today, I had a much needed 'snow day' without any snow until around 1:00! This was quite unusual and took many of us by surprise. I don't recall school ever being dismissed in my 25 years of teaching before any snow fell! But the forecasts were ominous enough that I'm sure it was decided to not take a risk on trying to get children home on slick hills and curves. It has been snowing since about 12:30, and although that was later than predicted, our roads are covered, and it is quite cold and windy.

Nancy, I'm sorry about your tooth pain and hope it won't be long before your ordeal is over!

Take care, everyone.
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/16/03 at 17:45 (105630)

Suzanne, they must have been expecting a near blizzard to call off school so early! I know that we've been warned for days about the cold weather tonight, below freezing in New Orleans. It was supposed to be cold when I got out of my meeting, but it was still quite balmy. We'll see.

Julie, welcome back! I hope Crete was as delightful as usual. I wish I was there right now.

Nancy, what an awful root canal. I am a root canal veteran, having had about a dozen or so in my life. Back in the 1960's it took many repeat visits every two or three days. In recent years, they've generally been able to do the root canal in one day due to modern new techniques, though I've had to return for the crown. Yours must have been a real 'doozy'.

Carole C

Re: to julie, our traveler / side note: root canal / but julie, where are you

nancy s. on 1/17/03 at 03:06 (105666)

thanks suzanne and carole: yes, this is a nasty one. no one could be interested in the particulars really, but i'm up in the night in pain, and this is the social board, so i'll just ramble a little bit, heh heh. i'm in the middle of having a crown on this tooth. after the temp crown was put on, the trouble started. big pain. oh no. back to dentist for evaluation. sent to endodontist for evaluation. need root canal. OH NO! had first of two rooting out of the tooth, after which the pain was supposed to end. but no, it's worse! endodontist phoned in rx for darvocet, which is helping some. the second round happens in a couple of weeks after healing from the first round has taken place. then after that heals, final crown gets put on. i guess my biggest fear is that something is wrong and maybe i'll lose the tooth after all this.

a dozen root canals, carole? and you're still alive! that gives me hope. these tooth operations are too close to the brain, in my opinion. clear thinking hasn't taken place over here in at least two weeks.

i've had only one before. it was a mess, and it didn't work, and ultimately i lost the tooth (a molar; had to be pulled). the guy doing this one is supposed to be the cream of the crop, and he'd better be, at $1325! and that's just for the root canal, not the crown.

goodnight for now, and to julie, if you're reading at the moment, good morning to you!

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/17/03 at 08:45 (105677)

I haven't lost any of my teeth yet, Nancy, thank goodness. Yes, that price seems awfully high for the root canal, but then everything is going up. My last one was about three years ago so maybe that's the going rate these days, especially in the northeast.

If your tooth still hurts, I'm surprised that he doesn't have you on antibiotics as well as the darvocet. It shouldn't hurt at all now that you are at home, except from having to have your mouth open so long while he worked on it. This sounds like the root canal from h*ll. My sympathies!

So tell us, does the Darvocet do anything for your feet? (grin)

Carole C

Julie on 1/17/03 at 15:28 (105712)

Thank you for the nice welcome, everyone, and I'm sorry not to have responded to it sooner, but I've only just seen it. I've been very busy since I got home on Sunday, and have only quickly checked in to some of the other boards since then. I had a lovely time, thanks for asking - the weather was wonderful, perfect Spring weather, sunny, warm and clear most of the time, thick greenery and flowers everywhere. I did lots of walking (and lots of eating and drinking, but the walking walked off the effects of that, I think - most of them anyway).No problems with the feet, which behaved impeccably. Not a twinge. Winter is a good time to be in Crete, if you're lucky with the weather, which I was - but it can be cold and wet, too.

Nancy, I'm very sorry you've had so much trouble with The Tooth. I know that pain, having had it in the past, and I wish you didn't have it!

nancy s. on 1/17/03 at 15:49 (105715)

so good to hear from you, julie! i've been worrying all day.... i'm so glad you had a great time, with wonderful weather, and yes, with lots of eating and drinking too. and not a twinge with the feet: that continues to be the best news. my tooth is a little better today, thank you -- i'm hanging in there, anyway. i will be alone this weekend and it should be a perfect time to catch up with emails, so, more to come! thanks for your post, and if you ever do get time to catch up here on the social board, you will see that some of us have gone a little nuts since you were here last. heck, i should probably just include myself and not cast doubt on the sanity of anyone else.
nancy

JudyS on 1/17/03 at 16:42 (105719)

NancyS - I had a root canal once - on an emergency basis. The canal had suddenly gotten infected and it was the day before Thanksgiving! It took nearly the entire day, first at the dentist, then with an oral surgeon, to get it drilled out and temporarily capped. Oh my was that some serious pain and it sounds like you know what I mean. At the time I thought it was far worse than giving birth (the age-old barometer of pain!). Then having those cortisone shots for PF, well, let's say the root canal and those shots are pretty equal in my pain book!

Julie on 1/18/03 at 02:36 (105772)

Thanks, Nancy, and I look forward to that email. There was no need to worry: I've just been up to my neck in post-trip chores.

I hope you're feeling a little better today. Like Judy, I remember root canal treatment pain as the worst ever.

Re: My feet

Julie on 1/18/03 at 02:50 (105774)

After this recent trip, I guess I have to say that my feet are a success story. I always do a lot of walking in Crete, but I probably did more this time than ever, and mostly on hard - asphalt - surfaces, not footpaths. On average, I walked ten miles a day (on the days I walked - there were a few days in the 14 when I didn't). At the end of each day my feet (and I!) were tired and ready to stop, but they didn't hurt. And the next morning they were absolutely fine and ready to go again.

It has been two years since I 'got over' my PF, i.e. to be able to say I was 95% better, and a year since I've been able to say 100%, but as most of you know, I have always been reluctant to talk about 'cure', and have felt that I am going to have to remain vigilant forever. I still feel that, and I will remain vigilant - but at this two-year mark it's beginning to feel as though PF is becoming an ever-more-distant memory. It's a wonderful feeling, and I wish you all the same wonderful feeling in the future.

Just thought I'd post this even though it's old news to my old mates: there are always new posters here who might be encouraged by a continuing happy story!

nancy s. on 1/18/03 at 10:44 (105795)

i'm cheering wildly over here on this side of the atlantic, julie. that's wonderful. (can you see me? i'm the one waving both hands and with the palest face on the east coast right now.) now i shall drag my tooth out to the shop and open it up. have a good day all.
nancy

Kathy G on 1/18/03 at 11:14 (105800)

Julie,

Welcome home! I'm so glad you had a good time in Crete! What a conincidence that your friend there had PF. I'm sure you were able to give her some good advice.

To have walked that much and not had pain is just wonderful! I thank you for the inspiration!

By the way, and this has nothing to do with your feet and trip, but are they having peace demonstrations in England today? I read a couple of articles and they mentioned other countries, but not England. It seems, from what I've read, that Tony Blair has an uphill battle facing him if he wants to convince the English people of the need for military action, so I'm assuming there must be some demonstrations going on.

nancy s. on 1/18/03 at 19:13 (105841)

kathy, i just read this at the cnn site:

British Parliament member Jeremy Corbyn traveled to Washington for the rally.

'In Britain there is enormous opposition to this war,' he said. 'This is a war with no support, no public recognition for it, and I think the leaders, particularly President Bush and Prime Minister [Tony] Blair, are going to have to recognize they're on their own on this one.'

Sharon W on 1/19/03 at 00:17 (105882)

Julie,

That's WONDERFUL! I'm so happy for your success! I LOVED the part about PF 'becoming an ever more distant memory...!'

Sharon

Julie on 1/19/03 at 03:30 (105890)

Thanks, Kathy. I've been reading the thread that your other post started, and just want to say that I am very, very sorry that what I said made you feel at all discouraged. I wish now I hadn't made that post! I guess I'm just so used to people saying how useful it is to have encouragement, that I forgot (stupid of me) that it isn't always good news to hear of another's 'success'. Forgive me, please.

There is indeed a lot of opposition to the war here. But as far as I know, there was no big demo in London yesterday. I don't know why!

Re: Julie

Kathy G on 1/19/03 at 10:02 (105913)

Oh my goodness, Julie, please don't feel badly! I'm so happy for you! I thought of you so often when you were away. Crete sounds like a paradise to me. No, no, I don't begrudge anyone their healing! It's wonderful that your feet are better. And your post was the impetus I needed because I'm going to call and make an appointment with a C.Ped tomorrow. I have two names from Richard's site. Please, don't feel as though you discouraged me! If anything, you've encouraged me because I know that I can get better in the future.

It is interesting that there were no large protests planned for London. In the US, people are afraid that if they oppose this war, they are unpatriotic. Ever since 9-ll, the consensus seems to be that to criticize the adminstration is to admit to being unsupportive of America in general.
Many seem to think that any dissention shows that one is not respectful of those who died so tragically on that date, and I think that may be why there has been so few public displays. I don't think that could be the case in London, do you? I wonder what it is?

JudyS on 1/21/03 at 09:44 (106123)

It's never old news, Julie, to hear anyone's success story any number of times. Congratulations on your 'successful' walking vacation.

Suzanne D on 1/16/03 at 13:52 (105616)

Yes, welcome back, Julie! I hope it was a very enjoyable trip for you! Please tell us about your adventures when you have time.

Today, I had a much needed 'snow day' without any snow until around 1:00! This was quite unusual and took many of us by surprise. I don't recall school ever being dismissed in my 25 years of teaching before any snow fell! But the forecasts were ominous enough that I'm sure it was decided to not take a risk on trying to get children home on slick hills and curves. It has been snowing since about 12:30, and although that was later than predicted, our roads are covered, and it is quite cold and windy.

Nancy, I'm sorry about your tooth pain and hope it won't be long before your ordeal is over!

Take care, everyone.
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/16/03 at 17:45 (105630)

Suzanne, they must have been expecting a near blizzard to call off school so early! I know that we've been warned for days about the cold weather tonight, below freezing in New Orleans. It was supposed to be cold when I got out of my meeting, but it was still quite balmy. We'll see.

Julie, welcome back! I hope Crete was as delightful as usual. I wish I was there right now.

Nancy, what an awful root canal. I am a root canal veteran, having had about a dozen or so in my life. Back in the 1960's it took many repeat visits every two or three days. In recent years, they've generally been able to do the root canal in one day due to modern new techniques, though I've had to return for the crown. Yours must have been a real 'doozy'.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/17/03 at 03:06 (105666)

thanks suzanne and carole: yes, this is a nasty one. no one could be interested in the particulars really, but i'm up in the night in pain, and this is the social board, so i'll just ramble a little bit, heh heh. i'm in the middle of having a crown on this tooth. after the temp crown was put on, the trouble started. big pain. oh no. back to dentist for evaluation. sent to endodontist for evaluation. need root canal. OH NO! had first of two rooting out of the tooth, after which the pain was supposed to end. but no, it's worse! endodontist phoned in rx for darvocet, which is helping some. the second round happens in a couple of weeks after healing from the first round has taken place. then after that heals, final crown gets put on. i guess my biggest fear is that something is wrong and maybe i'll lose the tooth after all this.

a dozen root canals, carole? and you're still alive! that gives me hope. these tooth operations are too close to the brain, in my opinion. clear thinking hasn't taken place over here in at least two weeks.

i've had only one before. it was a mess, and it didn't work, and ultimately i lost the tooth (a molar; had to be pulled). the guy doing this one is supposed to be the cream of the crop, and he'd better be, at $1325! and that's just for the root canal, not the crown.

goodnight for now, and to julie, if you're reading at the moment, good morning to you!

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/17/03 at 08:45 (105677)

I haven't lost any of my teeth yet, Nancy, thank goodness. Yes, that price seems awfully high for the root canal, but then everything is going up. My last one was about three years ago so maybe that's the going rate these days, especially in the northeast.

If your tooth still hurts, I'm surprised that he doesn't have you on antibiotics as well as the darvocet. It shouldn't hurt at all now that you are at home, except from having to have your mouth open so long while he worked on it. This sounds like the root canal from h*ll. My sympathies!

So tell us, does the Darvocet do anything for your feet? (grin)

Carole C

Julie on 1/17/03 at 15:28 (105712)

Thank you for the nice welcome, everyone, and I'm sorry not to have responded to it sooner, but I've only just seen it. I've been very busy since I got home on Sunday, and have only quickly checked in to some of the other boards since then. I had a lovely time, thanks for asking - the weather was wonderful, perfect Spring weather, sunny, warm and clear most of the time, thick greenery and flowers everywhere. I did lots of walking (and lots of eating and drinking, but the walking walked off the effects of that, I think - most of them anyway).No problems with the feet, which behaved impeccably. Not a twinge. Winter is a good time to be in Crete, if you're lucky with the weather, which I was - but it can be cold and wet, too.

Nancy, I'm very sorry you've had so much trouble with The Tooth. I know that pain, having had it in the past, and I wish you didn't have it!

nancy s. on 1/17/03 at 15:49 (105715)

so good to hear from you, julie! i've been worrying all day.... i'm so glad you had a great time, with wonderful weather, and yes, with lots of eating and drinking too. and not a twinge with the feet: that continues to be the best news. my tooth is a little better today, thank you -- i'm hanging in there, anyway. i will be alone this weekend and it should be a perfect time to catch up with emails, so, more to come! thanks for your post, and if you ever do get time to catch up here on the social board, you will see that some of us have gone a little nuts since you were here last. heck, i should probably just include myself and not cast doubt on the sanity of anyone else.
nancy

JudyS on 1/17/03 at 16:42 (105719)

NancyS - I had a root canal once - on an emergency basis. The canal had suddenly gotten infected and it was the day before Thanksgiving! It took nearly the entire day, first at the dentist, then with an oral surgeon, to get it drilled out and temporarily capped. Oh my was that some serious pain and it sounds like you know what I mean. At the time I thought it was far worse than giving birth (the age-old barometer of pain!). Then having those cortisone shots for PF, well, let's say the root canal and those shots are pretty equal in my pain book!

Julie on 1/18/03 at 02:36 (105772)

Thanks, Nancy, and I look forward to that email. There was no need to worry: I've just been up to my neck in post-trip chores.

I hope you're feeling a little better today. Like Judy, I remember root canal treatment pain as the worst ever.

Julie on 1/18/03 at 02:50 (105774)

After this recent trip, I guess I have to say that my feet are a success story. I always do a lot of walking in Crete, but I probably did more this time than ever, and mostly on hard - asphalt - surfaces, not footpaths. On average, I walked ten miles a day (on the days I walked - there were a few days in the 14 when I didn't). At the end of each day my feet (and I!) were tired and ready to stop, but they didn't hurt. And the next morning they were absolutely fine and ready to go again.

It has been two years since I 'got over' my PF, i.e. to be able to say I was 95% better, and a year since I've been able to say 100%, but as most of you know, I have always been reluctant to talk about 'cure', and have felt that I am going to have to remain vigilant forever. I still feel that, and I will remain vigilant - but at this two-year mark it's beginning to feel as though PF is becoming an ever-more-distant memory. It's a wonderful feeling, and I wish you all the same wonderful feeling in the future.

Just thought I'd post this even though it's old news to my old mates: there are always new posters here who might be encouraged by a continuing happy story!

nancy s. on 1/18/03 at 10:44 (105795)

i'm cheering wildly over here on this side of the atlantic, julie. that's wonderful. (can you see me? i'm the one waving both hands and with the palest face on the east coast right now.) now i shall drag my tooth out to the shop and open it up. have a good day all.
nancy

Kathy G on 1/18/03 at 11:14 (105800)

Julie,

Welcome home! I'm so glad you had a good time in Crete! What a conincidence that your friend there had PF. I'm sure you were able to give her some good advice.

To have walked that much and not had pain is just wonderful! I thank you for the inspiration!

By the way, and this has nothing to do with your feet and trip, but are they having peace demonstrations in England today? I read a couple of articles and they mentioned other countries, but not England. It seems, from what I've read, that Tony Blair has an uphill battle facing him if he wants to convince the English people of the need for military action, so I'm assuming there must be some demonstrations going on.

nancy s. on 1/18/03 at 19:13 (105841)

kathy, i just read this at the cnn site:

British Parliament member Jeremy Corbyn traveled to Washington for the rally.

'In Britain there is enormous opposition to this war,' he said. 'This is a war with no support, no public recognition for it, and I think the leaders, particularly President Bush and Prime Minister [Tony] Blair, are going to have to recognize they're on their own on this one.'

Sharon W on 1/19/03 at 00:17 (105882)

Julie,

That's WONDERFUL! I'm so happy for your success! I LOVED the part about PF 'becoming an ever more distant memory...!'

Sharon

Julie on 1/19/03 at 03:30 (105890)

Thanks, Kathy. I've been reading the thread that your other post started, and just want to say that I am very, very sorry that what I said made you feel at all discouraged. I wish now I hadn't made that post! I guess I'm just so used to people saying how useful it is to have encouragement, that I forgot (stupid of me) that it isn't always good news to hear of another's 'success'. Forgive me, please.

There is indeed a lot of opposition to the war here. But as far as I know, there was no big demo in London yesterday. I don't know why!

Re: Julie

Kathy G on 1/19/03 at 10:02 (105913)

Oh my goodness, Julie, please don't feel badly! I'm so happy for you! I thought of you so often when you were away. Crete sounds like a paradise to me. No, no, I don't begrudge anyone their healing! It's wonderful that your feet are better. And your post was the impetus I needed because I'm going to call and make an appointment with a C.Ped tomorrow. I have two names from Richard's site. Please, don't feel as though you discouraged me! If anything, you've encouraged me because I know that I can get better in the future.

It is interesting that there were no large protests planned for London. In the US, people are afraid that if they oppose this war, they are unpatriotic. Ever since 9-ll, the consensus seems to be that to criticize the adminstration is to admit to being unsupportive of America in general.
Many seem to think that any dissention shows that one is not respectful of those who died so tragically on that date, and I think that may be why there has been so few public displays. I don't think that could be the case in London, do you? I wonder what it is?

JudyS on 1/21/03 at 09:44 (106123)

It's never old news, Julie, to hear anyone's success story any number of times. Congratulations on your 'successful' walking vacation.