Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nerve damage from tibial block....Dr. Z.

Posted by Cherie on 1/16/03 at 22:48 (105660)

Dr. Z, I'm still going from doctor to doctor trying to get someone to help me. My current orthopod has decided to turn the case over to a neurologist since I am not getting well as fast as he thought I would. What will a neurologist do?? I have numbness and swelling around my big toe and have been in a boot for weeks. My Ossatron was done 11-8-02. This one day simple procedure has left me crippled and wondering if I am going to recover enough to support my family. Have you ever seen a tibial nerve injury last this long. I do not have that much pain, mainly just discomfort on walking due to the swelling and a few hypersensitive places, but I cannot be on my feet very long. Any thoughts that might ease my nerves until my appt with the neurologist on Wednesday??? Cherie

Re: Nerve damage from tibial block....Dr. Z.

Dr. Z on 1/16/03 at 23:20 (105663)

The neurologist will order an EMG to see exactly what nerves are damaged if in fact they are. Injecting the posterior nerve can cause permanant nerve damaged if the needle goes into the nerve. It does state that nerve damage can happen if the ossatron hits a nerve. I doubt that is what happen because the nerve is on the inside of the ankle and the head of the ossatron can't reach this area. Let see what the neurologist comes up with.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/17/03 at 10:41 (105682)

Cherie:
The nerve can get 'bruised' by the needle used in the block. This is usually self resolving. Just curious-- who did the block? An anesthesiologist?
It is possible to more than just bruise the nerve but I have never seen that happen. Would like to see what the neurologist says.
Ed

Cherie on 1/17/03 at 15:06 (105706)

This procedure was done on Oct 8, 2002. I had the nerve conduction studies done about a month ago and everything was normal. They did not do the part where they insert needles into your muscles. My doctor is sending me to a different neurologist and I guess he is going to repeat the testing. My podiatrist did the block and I'm so amazed that he did not realize what had happened. I immediately told him the next day of the numbness, shocking, swelling and he kept telling me that I could not be hurting. I kept asking for a boot because it was so hard to walk and he told me I did not need one. After a month, a pain mgmt doctor put me in a boot and ordered bone scans and MRI which were both normal. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who told me to come back in 3 wks, which I did last week and he told me he thought I should go on to the neurologist because it is not getting better as fast as he would like. If this is can be permanent, I cannot imagine walking on this foot permanently. The joint below my big toe is swollen and painful to walk on. They said they did not think I was developing the wildfire type of RSD because my pain level is not that high and does not seem to be getting worse. The numbness does seem to have spread a little bit in the last couple wks. Tell me something good please. Can this resolve so that I can have a normal foot??? I go to the neurologist on Wednesday...Thanks...Cherie

Dr. Z on 1/18/03 at 17:31 (105833)

It can resolve. Let us know about the new testing

Dr. Z on 1/16/03 at 23:20 (105663)

The neurologist will order an EMG to see exactly what nerves are damaged if in fact they are. Injecting the posterior nerve can cause permanant nerve damaged if the needle goes into the nerve. It does state that nerve damage can happen if the ossatron hits a nerve. I doubt that is what happen because the nerve is on the inside of the ankle and the head of the ossatron can't reach this area. Let see what the neurologist comes up with.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/17/03 at 10:41 (105682)

Cherie:
The nerve can get 'bruised' by the needle used in the block. This is usually self resolving. Just curious-- who did the block? An anesthesiologist?
It is possible to more than just bruise the nerve but I have never seen that happen. Would like to see what the neurologist says.
Ed

Cherie on 1/17/03 at 15:06 (105706)

This procedure was done on Oct 8, 2002. I had the nerve conduction studies done about a month ago and everything was normal. They did not do the part where they insert needles into your muscles. My doctor is sending me to a different neurologist and I guess he is going to repeat the testing. My podiatrist did the block and I'm so amazed that he did not realize what had happened. I immediately told him the next day of the numbness, shocking, swelling and he kept telling me that I could not be hurting. I kept asking for a boot because it was so hard to walk and he told me I did not need one. After a month, a pain mgmt doctor put me in a boot and ordered bone scans and MRI which were both normal. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who told me to come back in 3 wks, which I did last week and he told me he thought I should go on to the neurologist because it is not getting better as fast as he would like. If this is can be permanent, I cannot imagine walking on this foot permanently. The joint below my big toe is swollen and painful to walk on. They said they did not think I was developing the wildfire type of RSD because my pain level is not that high and does not seem to be getting worse. The numbness does seem to have spread a little bit in the last couple wks. Tell me something good please. Can this resolve so that I can have a normal foot??? I go to the neurologist on Wednesday...Thanks...Cherie

Dr. Z on 1/18/03 at 17:31 (105833)

It can resolve. Let us know about the new testing