Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

6 months post ESWT and throbbing/tingling feeling

Posted by Lee on 1/19/03 at 19:03 (105972)

Has anyone post-ESWT had any difficulty with tingling/throbbing in the heel area that was treated? I have very little pain now, (I had bad pain with every step before ESWT and am now about 75% better), but often get these episodes of pulsating/throbbing in the heelthat make feel like I am going back to hell again with PF. The episodes usually last a few days, then resolve. Just has me concerned that something that throbs must be injured...it just feels fragile....?Anyone out there experiencing this? thanks

Re: 6 months post ESWT and throbbing/tingling feeling

Dr. Z on 1/19/03 at 19:15 (105974)

some patients will get tingling and throbbing off and on post eswt . What is your activity level. Has your pf thickness and or inflamation gone down yet. If you had treatment with the dornier it can take up to one year for compelte resolution of pain.

Lee on 1/19/03 at 19:37 (105979)

Thank you Dr. Z for your response. I will fully admit that this sensation has furthered my hesitation for regular exercise. Sometimes the simplest of stretches can seemingly provoke the throbbing. I plan to start back this week (despite my fear..I am tired of inactivity)using elliptical equipment. I did have the treatment using Ossatron. I wasn't sure how to answer your question regarding pf thickness and inflammation...how exactly would you determine that? Thank you.

Dr. Z on 1/20/03 at 20:01 (106080)

I have your eswt treating doctor examine you for a stress fracture. An mri may be in order

Lee on 1/25/03 at 11:49 (106748)

Thank you Dr. Z. The throbbing has continued for one week now, and seems a little worse since I worked out on an ellipitical machine Tuesday. No real pain walking, no pain or tenderness in the usual PF area, but I do have tenderness more in the center of the heel and toward the back of the heel on the bottom of my foot. The throbbing happens any time I put weight on the foot and centers around where the PF attaches to the heel area. Can that suggest any particular type of problem?

I have made an appointment with my podiatrist next week. Not overly optimistic he will order an MRI as you suggested, based on the fact that I am not in a lot of pain....just throbbing. Would you suggest anything else.....would physical therapy modalities help? What do you think is going on? Thanks

Dr. Z on 1/25/03 at 12:08 (106750)

It sounds like your achilles tendon. He should be able to determine and or rule out a stress fracture with an examination.
I would use nsaid and start with contrast baths. That's hot for 5 minutes then cold for 5 minutes following up with 5 minutes of hot.
Taping can help. I really think that this would resolve in a few weeks. The constrast baths are really important.

Lee on 1/28/03 at 15:25 (107154)

Dr.Z.,
Saw my podiatrist. He did an x-ray...no stress fracture. He seems to think that my pain in the center/bottom of my heel is the simply the return of PF, only in a different site. I was shocked, not to mention devastated. He said it appears that the ESWT was successful in treating the area that hurt before, but now it has returned. I am so confused....I have no morning pain when first walking...only throbbing in the arch PF area and tenderness on the heel as stated above. I have followed all the rules! He offered the usual cortisone shot (which I refused.. I have had 4 in the past 2 years) taping and anti-inflamatory meds(which I agreed to) and high stability tennis shoes for at least 30 days.

Could these symptoms mean anything else? You had mentioned achilles tendonitis. Also, post taping, I will try your suggestion of contrast baths...I would appreciate your thoughts.

Dr. Z on 1/19/03 at 19:15 (105974)

some patients will get tingling and throbbing off and on post eswt . What is your activity level. Has your pf thickness and or inflamation gone down yet. If you had treatment with the dornier it can take up to one year for compelte resolution of pain.

Lee on 1/19/03 at 19:37 (105979)

Thank you Dr. Z for your response. I will fully admit that this sensation has furthered my hesitation for regular exercise. Sometimes the simplest of stretches can seemingly provoke the throbbing. I plan to start back this week (despite my fear..I am tired of inactivity)using elliptical equipment. I did have the treatment using Ossatron. I wasn't sure how to answer your question regarding pf thickness and inflammation...how exactly would you determine that? Thank you.

Dr. Z on 1/20/03 at 20:01 (106080)

I have your eswt treating doctor examine you for a stress fracture. An mri may be in order

Lee on 1/25/03 at 11:49 (106748)

Thank you Dr. Z. The throbbing has continued for one week now, and seems a little worse since I worked out on an ellipitical machine Tuesday. No real pain walking, no pain or tenderness in the usual PF area, but I do have tenderness more in the center of the heel and toward the back of the heel on the bottom of my foot. The throbbing happens any time I put weight on the foot and centers around where the PF attaches to the heel area. Can that suggest any particular type of problem?

I have made an appointment with my podiatrist next week. Not overly optimistic he will order an MRI as you suggested, based on the fact that I am not in a lot of pain....just throbbing. Would you suggest anything else.....would physical therapy modalities help? What do you think is going on? Thanks

Dr. Z on 1/25/03 at 12:08 (106750)

It sounds like your achilles tendon. He should be able to determine and or rule out a stress fracture with an examination.
I would use nsaid and start with contrast baths. That's hot for 5 minutes then cold for 5 minutes following up with 5 minutes of hot.
Taping can help. I really think that this would resolve in a few weeks. The constrast baths are really important.

Lee on 1/28/03 at 15:25 (107154)

Dr.Z.,
Saw my podiatrist. He did an x-ray...no stress fracture. He seems to think that my pain in the center/bottom of my heel is the simply the return of PF, only in a different site. I was shocked, not to mention devastated. He said it appears that the ESWT was successful in treating the area that hurt before, but now it has returned. I am so confused....I have no morning pain when first walking...only throbbing in the arch PF area and tenderness on the heel as stated above. I have followed all the rules! He offered the usual cortisone shot (which I refused.. I have had 4 in the past 2 years) taping and anti-inflamatory meds(which I agreed to) and high stability tennis shoes for at least 30 days.

Could these symptoms mean anything else? You had mentioned achilles tendonitis. Also, post taping, I will try your suggestion of contrast baths...I would appreciate your thoughts.