Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery

Posted by vicki z on 1/20/03 at 09:42 (106018)

Please help me decide. I am scheduled to have tts surgery in 2 wks. I have bilateral tts and also have a heel spur on my left ft. I am not sure what foot hurts more. I have been doing alot of research on tts and surgery and not sure if I am ready for it or not. I trust my dr. but the recovery time seems so long. I chose not to go to pt as I thought it wouldn't help. I have been to pt before for other problems and didn't see much difference. My dr. wanted to send me for iontophoresis treatments and also wanted to put me on Neurontin. I was leary of both. A NCT showed tts in both ft. An MRI came back negative. I thought the surgery was my better option but with researching the topic and seeing how painful and how long the recovery is I am second guessing the whole thing. I haven't been able to sleep at night because I can't stop thinking about the surgery. I am really nervous and not sure if it is the right thing to do. The statistics are not very positive with regards to tts surgery. Any feedback you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/20/03 at 16:07 (106053)

Vicki:

It is almost always a good idea to consider non-surgical treatment first. That is very true for plantar fasciitis and often worth a try for TTS. Why were you leary of iontophoresis?

Unfortunately the success rate for non-surgical treatment of TTS is not that high. If a mass pressing up against the nerve can be seen on MRI, then TT surgery has a higher success rate and should be considered sooner.
If not, I would still give conservative treatment a try.
Ed

Re: surgery

Mar on 1/21/03 at 05:32 (106109)

Vicki -

I say listen to Dr. Ed and also respect your fears. Surgery is a huge decision with all kinds of possible outcomes. If you are having these feelings now, I would delay it. I had those fears before bunion surgery and ignored them and I have regretted it ever since. I knew in my heart that this wasn;t the right choice for me and I dismissed those thoughts and feelings as cowardice -- so foolish. Just my experience that I hope can help someone else. You can always decide to have the surgery after trying some more conservative treatments. Mar

Re: surgery

Julie on 1/21/03 at 06:14 (106112)

Vicki, I'd like to add my voice to Dr Ed's and Mar's. If you're feeling this unsure about surgery now, it would be far better to put it off. Think about it, and do lots of research, especially reading people's histories on these message boards.

I hope Sharon will see your post and respond. She is one who finally made the decision for surgery as a last resort, and is happy with the results. She has great knowledge and a good perspective on the issues involved, and 'talking' to her would be helpful to you. You could also do a search on her name to find her past posts.

Wendy, who decided against surgery, is another person who will be helpful. She may respond personally, but she also has put together an informative FAQ which you'll find a link to on the home page.

But the main thing is, don't go into something as major and as risky as surgery until you have explored every other option fully, and feel quite confident that you are doing the right thing. I know you trust your doctor, but a second and even a third opinion would certainly be a good idea before you make your decision.

Re: surgery

wendyn on 1/21/03 at 20:30 (106209)

Vicki - I echo all of the comments so far. If your MRI was normal, then it is by far in your best interests to try all conservative treatments first (especially if that's what your doctor recommended).

How long have you had TTS?

Re: surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/20/03 at 16:07 (106053)

Vicki:

It is almost always a good idea to consider non-surgical treatment first. That is very true for plantar fasciitis and often worth a try for TTS. Why were you leary of iontophoresis?

Unfortunately the success rate for non-surgical treatment of TTS is not that high. If a mass pressing up against the nerve can be seen on MRI, then TT surgery has a higher success rate and should be considered sooner.
If not, I would still give conservative treatment a try.
Ed

Re: surgery

Mar on 1/21/03 at 05:32 (106109)

Vicki -

I say listen to Dr. Ed and also respect your fears. Surgery is a huge decision with all kinds of possible outcomes. If you are having these feelings now, I would delay it. I had those fears before bunion surgery and ignored them and I have regretted it ever since. I knew in my heart that this wasn;t the right choice for me and I dismissed those thoughts and feelings as cowardice -- so foolish. Just my experience that I hope can help someone else. You can always decide to have the surgery after trying some more conservative treatments. Mar

Re: surgery

Julie on 1/21/03 at 06:14 (106112)

Vicki, I'd like to add my voice to Dr Ed's and Mar's. If you're feeling this unsure about surgery now, it would be far better to put it off. Think about it, and do lots of research, especially reading people's histories on these message boards.

I hope Sharon will see your post and respond. She is one who finally made the decision for surgery as a last resort, and is happy with the results. She has great knowledge and a good perspective on the issues involved, and 'talking' to her would be helpful to you. You could also do a search on her name to find her past posts.

Wendy, who decided against surgery, is another person who will be helpful. She may respond personally, but she also has put together an informative FAQ which you'll find a link to on the home page.

But the main thing is, don't go into something as major and as risky as surgery until you have explored every other option fully, and feel quite confident that you are doing the right thing. I know you trust your doctor, but a second and even a third opinion would certainly be a good idea before you make your decision.

Re: surgery

wendyn on 1/21/03 at 20:30 (106209)

Vicki - I echo all of the comments so far. If your MRI was normal, then it is by far in your best interests to try all conservative treatments first (especially if that's what your doctor recommended).

How long have you had TTS?