Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Advice on doctor selection

Posted by Marty on 1/20/03 at 11:58 (106034)

I have been able to find to Orthopedic foot and ankle surgeons here in the salt lake city Ut, area. Both seem to have the same experience with TTS as far a I can ascertain from their assistants. Yes both have assistants and I was given their phone numbers and talked with both. Both doctors are board certified and have been practicing for about 20 years.

Here's my question:

1- One doctor practices out of one office about 35 minutes from my home. Thus probably better service from those who support him reseptionist, assistant, billing, etc. Bigger pain for me in travel, time off work etc.

2- The other practices out of 3 different places and one is only 5 minutes from my work! But he's only there every other friday. Close but might lose some service asspects. Assistant, nurses etc. They might not know his style.

Should I loose the extra time,money and travel? What ya all think? Should I do the travelling or go with the doctor that has to do the traveling.

Marty

Re: Never mind this post

Marty on 1/20/03 at 21:39 (106088)

Sorry This was a messup Hee Hee

Re: Appropriate/inappropriate posting

Sharon W on 1/21/03 at 12:17 (106143)

Marty,

There is no problem at all with posting a question like this one here -- and there is certainly no 'rule' or anything that says you shouldn't copy and paste the same post onto other message boards if you want to. But this question about surgeons had already received responses on the 'treatments' message board, and noone answered it here.

Actually, if you look around at all the boards you will notice that it is quite common for posts to go without responses altogether. There are a few of us who do try, if we know anything about the subject in question (and the post HASN'T already received responses on another board), to answer these 'orphan' posts because we know it is disappointing for people to write out their thoughts/concerns and never get a response. But even then it has a lot to do with luck.

There is a division of posts by category (NOT always followed by everyone) that assumes a person should post on a board whose topic is appropriate. In other words: posts about ESWT go on the ESWT board, posts about treating plantar facetis go on the treatments board, questions that you specifically wanted to ask the DOCTORS belong on the doctors' board, posts about TTS or other nerve conditions related to feet go on the TTS board, posts about shoes go on the shoe board, posts that are not about feet at all go on the social board. Questions or comments about surgery are appropriate either on the surgery board or on the board appropriate to the condition being treated ('treatments' or TTS).

Activity on ALL the foot boards tends to be kind of sporadic -- and that is probably even more true of the tarsal tunnel board, since this condition is CONSIDERABLY less common than plantar facaetis and therefore there are fewer people who show an interest in it.

Sharon

Re: just a little confussed Hee Hee

Marty on 1/21/03 at 16:19 (106172)

SSharon,

I noticed that people were responding to this in the other board. I just don't want to be a pest ...... things are really spinning for me right now because my TTS has really flared up in the past week. Not sure if it's the ware and tare from the extra walking standing in doctor offices and or the extra stress level in my life right now. I now we all have our own problems with our elements. The thing in the back of my head is if this gets much worse or degrades at this rate I'm in big trouble. Sorry for the disjointed post and I hope I haven't seemed selfish.

Thanks so much Sharon,

Marty

marie e on 1/21/03 at 20:34 (106210)

Boy it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has made mistakes.
Hope you got some sleep Marty. I know it's hard to think straight when your in the midst of a painful flairup. How much longer do you have to wait to get the results from the neurologist?

Have you been able to keep working? I remember at one point you posted about getting a scooter. Have you gotten one? Before I broke down and got a scooter I bought a used wheel chair. It's kinda hard to accept the fact that you have to use one but it it can really save your feet for better days to come.

If this post is in the wrong place... then I guess I messed up again.

marie

Re: It really WASN'T a mess-up

Sharon W on 1/21/03 at 20:45 (106212)

...Actually, that was my point! Please don't stress out about what you post, where.

There ARE no rigid rules, except for the one about advertising and the general, overall one about not being 'mean' to other posters (and even those two may have been broken with impunity a few times!)

Most people don't strictly stay within those message board categories anyway -- in fact I don't always do so myself, even though I do think the attempt to keep things more or less organized is probably a good thing.

Sharon

marie e on 1/21/03 at 21:01 (106216)

Thanks for clearing that up.

marie

Re: Never mind this post

Marty on 1/20/03 at 21:39 (106088)

Sorry This was a messup Hee Hee

Re: Appropriate/inappropriate posting

Sharon W on 1/21/03 at 12:17 (106143)

Marty,

There is no problem at all with posting a question like this one here -- and there is certainly no 'rule' or anything that says you shouldn't copy and paste the same post onto other message boards if you want to. But this question about surgeons had already received responses on the 'treatments' message board, and noone answered it here.

Actually, if you look around at all the boards you will notice that it is quite common for posts to go without responses altogether. There are a few of us who do try, if we know anything about the subject in question (and the post HASN'T already received responses on another board), to answer these 'orphan' posts because we know it is disappointing for people to write out their thoughts/concerns and never get a response. But even then it has a lot to do with luck.

There is a division of posts by category (NOT always followed by everyone) that assumes a person should post on a board whose topic is appropriate. In other words: posts about ESWT go on the ESWT board, posts about treating plantar facetis go on the treatments board, questions that you specifically wanted to ask the DOCTORS belong on the doctors' board, posts about TTS or other nerve conditions related to feet go on the TTS board, posts about shoes go on the shoe board, posts that are not about feet at all go on the social board. Questions or comments about surgery are appropriate either on the surgery board or on the board appropriate to the condition being treated ('treatments' or TTS).

Activity on ALL the foot boards tends to be kind of sporadic -- and that is probably even more true of the tarsal tunnel board, since this condition is CONSIDERABLY less common than plantar facaetis and therefore there are fewer people who show an interest in it.

Sharon

Marty on 1/21/03 at 16:19 (106172)

SSharon,

I noticed that people were responding to this in the other board. I just don't want to be a pest ...... things are really spinning for me right now because my TTS has really flared up in the past week. Not sure if it's the ware and tare from the extra walking standing in doctor offices and or the extra stress level in my life right now. I now we all have our own problems with our elements. The thing in the back of my head is if this gets much worse or degrades at this rate I'm in big trouble. Sorry for the disjointed post and I hope I haven't seemed selfish.

Thanks so much Sharon,

Marty

marie e on 1/21/03 at 20:34 (106210)

Boy it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has made mistakes.
Hope you got some sleep Marty. I know it's hard to think straight when your in the midst of a painful flairup. How much longer do you have to wait to get the results from the neurologist?

Have you been able to keep working? I remember at one point you posted about getting a scooter. Have you gotten one? Before I broke down and got a scooter I bought a used wheel chair. It's kinda hard to accept the fact that you have to use one but it it can really save your feet for better days to come.

If this post is in the wrong place... then I guess I messed up again.

marie

Sharon W on 1/21/03 at 20:45 (106212)

...Actually, that was my point! Please don't stress out about what you post, where.

There ARE no rigid rules, except for the one about advertising and the general, overall one about not being 'mean' to other posters (and even those two may have been broken with impunity a few times!)

Most people don't strictly stay within those message board categories anyway -- in fact I don't always do so myself, even though I do think the attempt to keep things more or less organized is probably a good thing.

Sharon

marie e on 1/21/03 at 21:01 (106216)

Thanks for clearing that up.

marie