Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

protest -- i lost the thread as usual

Posted by pala on 1/20/03 at 18:38 (106073)

just because i percieve apologizing for saying interesting things does not necessarily mean it's happening. but if it is i think it's because folks have been jumped on for opinions here. if this is the case the solution in my mind is not to curb opinions but curb jumpers. that is all i was saying. but hey, i'm from brooklyn and some could argue mine is an abrupt and less than sensitive sensibility. hail ozzy. i rest my case. did you have a mcgovern flower on your car? do you remember shirlely chisolm. i supported her too. i was amazed i supported clinton and he won. i was quite worried about my intellect and character when that happened having never been on a winning side before or since. but things are back to normal now. i pick the losers and preen about my genuis.

Re: protest -- i lost the thread as usual

Carole C in NOLA on 1/20/03 at 19:08 (106077)

That's ok, pala... some of us here are staunch conservatives that are behind the Bush administration 150%, but we don't really talk about it here. When I read the anti-war posts I giggle because I think of at least two of my friends here who might be fuming and biting their tongue. I don't take it that seriously myself. I just sigh and figure that the Clinton contingent are probably going to come full circle one of these days. Either that, or I will. :)

Carole C

pala on 1/20/03 at 20:00 (106079)

that's the spirit carol. can't imagine why anyone would fume or bite tongue. they are welcome to dialogue with me any time. as long as it is non attacking.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/20/03 at 20:19 (106083)

We all have one thing in common here: really sore feet, or feet that used to be really sore. A lot of us don't have much else in common. We have different experiences, temperaments, attitudes, outlook, age, location, and more. So naturally, we respond to things very differently.

All we can do is to try not to set anybody off and hope that they return the favor by trying not to set us off. I am deeply thankful that we are not all little identical robots who think just-the-same and act just-the-same and have just-the-same way of reacting to what other people post. We are not the Stepford heelspurs-sufferers here. We are incredibly unique and utterly cool people. :)

Carole C

pala on 1/20/03 at 21:01 (106085)

well i agree but for this one small difference. in any online community there will probably be a few folks who are set off by oh, say, oxygen in the air. gravity. living room furniture. so while being purposely provocative is uncalled for, being overly self censoring is also a drag. yes we're cool, we're cool. with all the darn ice on our feet in winter we are very cool. i iced yesterday and could not warm up for hours. it was miserable.

Re: martin luther king day

marie e on 1/20/03 at 21:11 (106086)

I think any informed non offensive discussion is ok. Conservative or liberal I think we all want the same basic things. Freedom, the right to pursue the lifestyle of our choice, and a safe place for our children to grow up. Most people around the world want these things. We just have different views on how to achieve those goals. Tolerence for the differences between people is one reason why we celebrate Martin Luther King Day. I grew up in Georgia in the 60s..I have many childhood memories of segregation and the brave people who stood up to take a beating for their beliefs. If it wasn't for those brave social activists we wouldn't be the united country we are today...although we still have a way to go. We need to teach our children tolerence for others....afterall they are our country's future. I treasure the fact that I live in a country were I can sit down at a table with every kind of person or a foot pain message board. I love listening to other peoples point of views...I may not agree with them or like what they say but I will always respect their right to their own belief. It is the true beauty of a democracy. The original discussion began when we were talking about the weather and I wondered how well the peace protests across the country were attended. It's not a political question simply an observation. I respect all those folks who got out there for what the believed in. Thanks. I am not advocate of war and it's ok for me to say that. Our country has never attacked another and I don't know that we will. I am proud of our men and women in uniform. They have given themselves to us to protect our freedom......I just don't want to see them come home in a box. It simply breaks my heart. I pray for a peaceful resolution. I guess I have rambled to much.

Hats off to you all! Happy Martin Luther King Day.
marie

nancy s. on 1/20/03 at 21:49 (106090)

well paula, you have really set me off, mentioning living room furniture. for 15 months we had a living room with furniture that stayed in the same place, and i could count on that living room furniture while the furniture in the rest of the house was turned upside down, shoved into corners, and unlivable. and that was fine -- as long as the living room furniture stayed predictable.

but that's all changed! the living room is now being worked on, and the living room furniture is all mangled and stuck into funny positions in the middle of the room, dripping with joint compound. i am really set off by this mention of living room furniture. i hope no one will mention it again. thank you. it's good you brought this up, paula, so i could talk about how i don't want to talk about living room furniture!

nancy
p.s. nice post up there, marie! happy mlk day to you too.

pala on 1/20/03 at 22:21 (106095)

lol. and i seem to be talking on all the many threads i keep losing. the goddess of chaos reigns. actually i do all this on purpose just in case anyone wants to attack my opinions. i will so addle this discussion that everyone will sit at computer blinking eyes rapidly with splitting headache. it will take mind off feet. my work here is done.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/20/03 at 22:29 (106097)

I must admit that after reading this thread, my mind is definitely not on my feet! Congratulations on a resounding success.

Carole C

Re: furniture and emotions

Carole C in NOLA on 1/20/03 at 23:00 (106102)

There there, Nancy, your living room furniture will be all nice once the joint compound sets, I promise you. It will be sturdier than ever and then it will be back in the very same place, and stay there for at least a century. Just don't think about it for a couple of days and all will be well just like it never happened.

My living room furniture is the same (except it doesn't need joint compound yet). It is DONE. It sits. It will never never ever be moved, thank goodness, unless I change my mind.

The computer room is in flux.

On New Year's Day I bought an antique French writing table made of oak, of the usual beautiful oaken color halfway between dark blond and light tan. It has lovely curved legs and carved feet as you might expect since it's a French table. It was dirt cheap or less, nearly highway robbery. I'm really excited about getting it. It is large for a writing table, and lovely. It is more sturdy than fine or fragile, so that I can use it and enjoy it.

I've had my old ugly metal office desk and hutch for fifteen years and the movers will be taking it away to junk when they bring my table. It's strange, but replacing my 'work desk' with a tastefully aesthetic table feels like a big step towards retirement, even though that's a few years ahead. I'm determined to do it, though. I really don't work at home any more.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/21/03 at 08:49 (106118)

so that's how you do it, paula! you're all over the map here and get away with saying stuff that in the past would have had some posters all over you! but you cannot be located. chaos does come in handy sometimes, doesn't it? i may have to try your method after world war III begins.
nancy

nancy s. on 1/21/03 at 09:03 (106120)

carole, i thought i said living room furniture is a verboten topic here! ;}

lol, my furniture 'will be all nice once the joint compound sets.' maybe you're right! it might be an improvement, now that i think about it.

every day joint compound also appears on my clothes (oh, the biggest tragedy of all); and in phil's beard; and on kitchen dishes, i know not how; and so on.

your computer room in flux, now that's a tough one. i had that twice in the past year. yet you seem to be thinking and typing so clearly in your helpful posts to people on the treatments etc. boards. how do you do it?

you'll love your antique writing table. those metal desks -- even the 'antique' ones! -- are the pits. and i don't care how many drawers they have!

anything that feels like a step toward retirement is a good thing at our ages (note the plural 'ages' -- i'm ONLY 53). i can't think of anything that's leading me toward retirement. i keep starting businesses that make less money than the one before. i do notice, though, that pf slowed down a big momentum i'd had going for several years, and i seem to have stayed slowed down. so . . . i think i'll be cheerful and look at that as a step toward retirement. are you going to retire at 62? i am, but then i'll continue to work and have my shop -- only at an even slower pace. maybe it'll become just a neighborhood hang-out. it half is now, which i did want -- winter people here have almost nowhere to go for sociability.

happy writing table to you!

nancy

pala on 1/21/03 at 09:10 (106122)

hail eris (old norse god or goddess - i forget which - of chaos. which is fitting since he or she is scrambling my aging neurons. here is what figures, i am one of the folks here who don't give a rat's tuchus if anyone comes after me and attacks. and so hardly anyone ever does. it is the kind sensitive ones who get attacked. but that is the nature of bullies. they smell who is hurtable even over electronic wires. come and get me darn you . i love ozzy osbourn and think he should be worshipped as a god, , i'm a liberal homosexual who thinks animal rights and ecology are as important as people. i think we should give the country back to the indiginous people we stole it from. i am an agnostic buddhist. well maybe too pugilistic and opinionated to be a buddhist but i like the philosophy, i think hilary clinton should be cloned and there should be millions of her. and they shoiuld all be president. if anyone would like me to inoculate them against being hurt by anything anyone says let me know. i have the magic secret elixer.

nancy s. on 1/21/03 at 11:01 (106132)

i will remember you have the magic secret elixir and will ask for it if i need it, so don't lose it.
nancy

nancy s. on 1/21/03 at 11:11 (106134)

i will remember you have the magic secret elixir and will ask for it if i need it, so don't lose it.
nancy

nancy s. on 1/21/03 at 11:15 (106135)

well here's a new one on me -- a post that gets repeated 10 minutes after originally posted. i wonder how that was done, in case i ever want to do it on purpose.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/21/03 at 11:57 (106138)

Nancy, even though I'm surrounded by stacks of stuff that I took out of my desk and so on, it's not too hard to type because it really doesn't slop over onto my keyboard. My fingers can move just as easily as before. There's a big BOX on that my new monitor came in, on the floor, and I'm thinking of putting stuff in it so that I can just make it all disappear. This whole computer room is only 9x9 (it's the smallest bedroom) so there isn't much room for mess in here.

You are right about my metal desk being the pits. They are practical for geting work done, but incredibly ugly and I need to feed my soul a little! And the antique French writing table will do so much in that direction.

A youngster of 53 like you may find that by the time you are the exalted age of 54 like me, you are making more steps towards retirement. I'd say that starting businesses that progressively make less money than the one before is definitely a good step in that direction.

I'm not sure when I'm going to retire. I can retire as early as 62, and I can keep working for decades past that age if I want to since this is a federal job. I guess a lot depends on when I can afford to retire, interest rates, whether or not I get the promotion of my dreams, and things like that. My goal is to be ready at 62, and I will re-assess at that time.

Part of preparing is to think of what I'll do when I retire. I make out lists of things that I wish I could pursue, but don't have time for right now. I don't want to just do nothing, and travel has no interest for me (except within the U.S., maybe).

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/20/03 at 19:08 (106077)

That's ok, pala... some of us here are staunch conservatives that are behind the Bush administration 150%, but we don't really talk about it here. When I read the anti-war posts I giggle because I think of at least two of my friends here who might be fuming and biting their tongue. I don't take it that seriously myself. I just sigh and figure that the Clinton contingent are probably going to come full circle one of these days. Either that, or I will. :)

Carole C

pala on 1/20/03 at 20:00 (106079)

that's the spirit carol. can't imagine why anyone would fume or bite tongue. they are welcome to dialogue with me any time. as long as it is non attacking.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/20/03 at 20:19 (106083)

We all have one thing in common here: really sore feet, or feet that used to be really sore. A lot of us don't have much else in common. We have different experiences, temperaments, attitudes, outlook, age, location, and more. So naturally, we respond to things very differently.

All we can do is to try not to set anybody off and hope that they return the favor by trying not to set us off. I am deeply thankful that we are not all little identical robots who think just-the-same and act just-the-same and have just-the-same way of reacting to what other people post. We are not the Stepford heelspurs-sufferers here. We are incredibly unique and utterly cool people. :)

Carole C

pala on 1/20/03 at 21:01 (106085)

well i agree but for this one small difference. in any online community there will probably be a few folks who are set off by oh, say, oxygen in the air. gravity. living room furniture. so while being purposely provocative is uncalled for, being overly self censoring is also a drag. yes we're cool, we're cool. with all the darn ice on our feet in winter we are very cool. i iced yesterday and could not warm up for hours. it was miserable.

Re: martin luther king day

marie e on 1/20/03 at 21:11 (106086)

I think any informed non offensive discussion is ok. Conservative or liberal I think we all want the same basic things. Freedom, the right to pursue the lifestyle of our choice, and a safe place for our children to grow up. Most people around the world want these things. We just have different views on how to achieve those goals. Tolerence for the differences between people is one reason why we celebrate Martin Luther King Day. I grew up in Georgia in the 60s..I have many childhood memories of segregation and the brave people who stood up to take a beating for their beliefs. If it wasn't for those brave social activists we wouldn't be the united country we are today...although we still have a way to go. We need to teach our children tolerence for others....afterall they are our country's future. I treasure the fact that I live in a country were I can sit down at a table with every kind of person or a foot pain message board. I love listening to other peoples point of views...I may not agree with them or like what they say but I will always respect their right to their own belief. It is the true beauty of a democracy. The original discussion began when we were talking about the weather and I wondered how well the peace protests across the country were attended. It's not a political question simply an observation. I respect all those folks who got out there for what the believed in. Thanks. I am not advocate of war and it's ok for me to say that. Our country has never attacked another and I don't know that we will. I am proud of our men and women in uniform. They have given themselves to us to protect our freedom......I just don't want to see them come home in a box. It simply breaks my heart. I pray for a peaceful resolution. I guess I have rambled to much.

Hats off to you all! Happy Martin Luther King Day.
marie

nancy s. on 1/20/03 at 21:49 (106090)

well paula, you have really set me off, mentioning living room furniture. for 15 months we had a living room with furniture that stayed in the same place, and i could count on that living room furniture while the furniture in the rest of the house was turned upside down, shoved into corners, and unlivable. and that was fine -- as long as the living room furniture stayed predictable.

but that's all changed! the living room is now being worked on, and the living room furniture is all mangled and stuck into funny positions in the middle of the room, dripping with joint compound. i am really set off by this mention of living room furniture. i hope no one will mention it again. thank you. it's good you brought this up, paula, so i could talk about how i don't want to talk about living room furniture!

nancy
p.s. nice post up there, marie! happy mlk day to you too.

pala on 1/20/03 at 22:21 (106095)

lol. and i seem to be talking on all the many threads i keep losing. the goddess of chaos reigns. actually i do all this on purpose just in case anyone wants to attack my opinions. i will so addle this discussion that everyone will sit at computer blinking eyes rapidly with splitting headache. it will take mind off feet. my work here is done.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/20/03 at 22:29 (106097)

I must admit that after reading this thread, my mind is definitely not on my feet! Congratulations on a resounding success.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/20/03 at 23:00 (106102)

There there, Nancy, your living room furniture will be all nice once the joint compound sets, I promise you. It will be sturdier than ever and then it will be back in the very same place, and stay there for at least a century. Just don't think about it for a couple of days and all will be well just like it never happened.

My living room furniture is the same (except it doesn't need joint compound yet). It is DONE. It sits. It will never never ever be moved, thank goodness, unless I change my mind.

The computer room is in flux.

On New Year's Day I bought an antique French writing table made of oak, of the usual beautiful oaken color halfway between dark blond and light tan. It has lovely curved legs and carved feet as you might expect since it's a French table. It was dirt cheap or less, nearly highway robbery. I'm really excited about getting it. It is large for a writing table, and lovely. It is more sturdy than fine or fragile, so that I can use it and enjoy it.

I've had my old ugly metal office desk and hutch for fifteen years and the movers will be taking it away to junk when they bring my table. It's strange, but replacing my 'work desk' with a tastefully aesthetic table feels like a big step towards retirement, even though that's a few years ahead. I'm determined to do it, though. I really don't work at home any more.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/21/03 at 08:49 (106118)

so that's how you do it, paula! you're all over the map here and get away with saying stuff that in the past would have had some posters all over you! but you cannot be located. chaos does come in handy sometimes, doesn't it? i may have to try your method after world war III begins.
nancy

nancy s. on 1/21/03 at 09:03 (106120)

carole, i thought i said living room furniture is a verboten topic here! ;}

lol, my furniture 'will be all nice once the joint compound sets.' maybe you're right! it might be an improvement, now that i think about it.

every day joint compound also appears on my clothes (oh, the biggest tragedy of all); and in phil's beard; and on kitchen dishes, i know not how; and so on.

your computer room in flux, now that's a tough one. i had that twice in the past year. yet you seem to be thinking and typing so clearly in your helpful posts to people on the treatments etc. boards. how do you do it?

you'll love your antique writing table. those metal desks -- even the 'antique' ones! -- are the pits. and i don't care how many drawers they have!

anything that feels like a step toward retirement is a good thing at our ages (note the plural 'ages' -- i'm ONLY 53). i can't think of anything that's leading me toward retirement. i keep starting businesses that make less money than the one before. i do notice, though, that pf slowed down a big momentum i'd had going for several years, and i seem to have stayed slowed down. so . . . i think i'll be cheerful and look at that as a step toward retirement. are you going to retire at 62? i am, but then i'll continue to work and have my shop -- only at an even slower pace. maybe it'll become just a neighborhood hang-out. it half is now, which i did want -- winter people here have almost nowhere to go for sociability.

happy writing table to you!

nancy

pala on 1/21/03 at 09:10 (106122)

hail eris (old norse god or goddess - i forget which - of chaos. which is fitting since he or she is scrambling my aging neurons. here is what figures, i am one of the folks here who don't give a rat's tuchus if anyone comes after me and attacks. and so hardly anyone ever does. it is the kind sensitive ones who get attacked. but that is the nature of bullies. they smell who is hurtable even over electronic wires. come and get me darn you . i love ozzy osbourn and think he should be worshipped as a god, , i'm a liberal homosexual who thinks animal rights and ecology are as important as people. i think we should give the country back to the indiginous people we stole it from. i am an agnostic buddhist. well maybe too pugilistic and opinionated to be a buddhist but i like the philosophy, i think hilary clinton should be cloned and there should be millions of her. and they shoiuld all be president. if anyone would like me to inoculate them against being hurt by anything anyone says let me know. i have the magic secret elixer.

nancy s. on 1/21/03 at 11:01 (106132)

nancy

nancy s. on 1/21/03 at 11:11 (106134)

nancy

nancy s. on 1/21/03 at 11:15 (106135)

well here's a new one on me -- a post that gets repeated 10 minutes after originally posted. i wonder how that was done, in case i ever want to do it on purpose.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/21/03 at 11:57 (106138)

Nancy, even though I'm surrounded by stacks of stuff that I took out of my desk and so on, it's not too hard to type because it really doesn't slop over onto my keyboard. My fingers can move just as easily as before. There's a big BOX on that my new monitor came in, on the floor, and I'm thinking of putting stuff in it so that I can just make it all disappear. This whole computer room is only 9x9 (it's the smallest bedroom) so there isn't much room for mess in here.

You are right about my metal desk being the pits. They are practical for geting work done, but incredibly ugly and I need to feed my soul a little! And the antique French writing table will do so much in that direction.

A youngster of 53 like you may find that by the time you are the exalted age of 54 like me, you are making more steps towards retirement. I'd say that starting businesses that progressively make less money than the one before is definitely a good step in that direction.

I'm not sure when I'm going to retire. I can retire as early as 62, and I can keep working for decades past that age if I want to since this is a federal job. I guess a lot depends on when I can afford to retire, interest rates, whether or not I get the promotion of my dreams, and things like that. My goal is to be ready at 62, and I will re-assess at that time.

Part of preparing is to think of what I'll do when I retire. I make out lists of things that I wish I could pursue, but don't have time for right now. I don't want to just do nothing, and travel has no interest for me (except within the U.S., maybe).

Carole C