Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hallux rigidus

Posted by Sharon F. on 1/21/03 at 05:07 (106108)

Am scheduled for pf release surgery next week; in the 5 wks. since I was last seen by the surgeon, hallux rigidus of the affected foot seems to have set in. In fact, I seem to have decreased dorsiflexion of all those left toes, not just the big toe. But definitely some pain with flexion of big toe joint, and pain if I manipulate it. Should I bring this to the attention of the surgeon before I have pf release next week, or will the 'rest' that the joint will get in the post-op boot be beneficial to it?
Thanks, Sharon F.

Re: hallux rigidus

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/21/03 at 12:32 (106147)

Point this out to your foot surgeon right away. You really don't develop
hallux limitis or decrease of motion in the other toes so quickly. It sounds like you are having problem with the flexor tendons which run underneath the pf. Have you look into ESWT. This is a non-invasive non surgical procedure that has none of the problems that does happen with foot surgery. Read about this on this web site or if you want I can get you our eswt informational packet.

Sharon F. on 1/21/03 at 18:11 (106192)

Dr. Z,
I did not give my full history. I'm 4 post ESWT with this foot; I consider it failed because I got no relief. Have had pf for (years) with surgery being the final choice after many treatments; I really feel the hallux limitus is because my gait is so messed up from walking on a painful heel for so long. You still think the hallux should be brought to the attention of my surgeon before surgery in 9 days? The toe's not hurting when walking now, really just with manipulation. Thanks, Sharon F.

Dr. Z on 1/21/03 at 18:55 (106199)

You probaby are right but let the surgeon know and examine you so that he can determine that it is compensation.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/22/03 at 21:45 (106405)

Sharon:
Your history does not make it completely clear if the hallux limitus was present before the PF started. Hallux limitus or hallux rigidus causes a change in biomechanics that is substantial. What type of surgery are you having in 9 days?
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/21/03 at 12:32 (106147)

Point this out to your foot surgeon right away. You really don't develop
hallux limitis or decrease of motion in the other toes so quickly. It sounds like you are having problem with the flexor tendons which run underneath the pf. Have you look into ESWT. This is a non-invasive non surgical procedure that has none of the problems that does happen with foot surgery. Read about this on this web site or if you want I can get you our eswt informational packet.

Sharon F. on 1/21/03 at 18:11 (106192)

Dr. Z,
I did not give my full history. I'm 4 post ESWT with this foot; I consider it failed because I got no relief. Have had pf for (years) with surgery being the final choice after many treatments; I really feel the hallux limitus is because my gait is so messed up from walking on a painful heel for so long. You still think the hallux should be brought to the attention of my surgeon before surgery in 9 days? The toe's not hurting when walking now, really just with manipulation. Thanks, Sharon F.

Dr. Z on 1/21/03 at 18:55 (106199)

You probaby are right but let the surgeon know and examine you so that he can determine that it is compensation.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/22/03 at 21:45 (106405)

Sharon:
Your history does not make it completely clear if the hallux limitus was present before the PF started. Hallux limitus or hallux rigidus causes a change in biomechanics that is substantial. What type of surgery are you having in 9 days?
Ed