Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post OP TTS

Posted by Terry Z on 1/21/03 at 15:37 (106163)

I had TTS surgery two weeks ago and I had the stitches out today. My injury was caused by a car accident in Oct. 2001. I didn't have surgery at that time but was casted for 5 weeks because of a fracture of the medial malleolus. This is a long story like many of you but I will try to do a short version. Within two months my ortho thought I had RSD which was treated with prednisone and lots of therapy, drugs for pain and sleeping. After eight months of therapy my foot was doing much better but my range of motion was not improving.

I finally had a MRI which showed;
1. a complete tear of superficial and deep portions of the deltoid ligament
2. adnormal soft tissue most suggestiove of scarring encasing the tibialis posterior tendon suggestive of stenosing tenosynovitis
3. 2-3 mm posterolateral talar dome osteochondral defect
4. a parial fibrous coalition of the calcanionavicular joint is suggested
Sounded like a lot of stuff to me but then I'm not a doctor.

Then I started getting tingling which I had with the RSD but not the burning. They did a EMG and nerve test which was done on both legs and feet and she tested my lower back. The EMG showed fourth DIP increased insertional activity and one pocket of complex repetitive discharges and I still don't know what that means. Nerve test suggested focal lateral plantar neuropathy on one side. The results of the lateral plantar nerve were latency of 8 ms and amplitude of 6.3K. The other foot had a latency of 5.9 ms and amplitude of 10K. I don't really understand all of that either but maybe someone here can explain what that all means. I've had 13 months of therapy and now I'm starting all over. Somehow I will find the fight in me to win this battle.

I know I had a chance that the RSD would come back because of surgery but I was so miserable I didn't feel I had a choice. Things are going OK I get those nerve pains and all, however today I had my stitches out and the ruddy color is back. My foot changes warm to cold and I have to touch it most of the time to know because it feels somewhat freezer burned. Queston: Are these normal symtoms for TTS?

My drugs include Oxycodone, Neurontin 1800mgs. daily, Amitriptyline and last week he added Nifedipine 30 mgs. Anyone else taking Nifedipine?

I almost forgot besides the TTS I had arthroscopy surgery on the other three sides of my ankle. Lots of scar tissue, some synovitis and he got one bone chip but not the one from the medial malleolus, I guess he felt it wasn't worth putting me through anymore or it wasn't going to be a problem.

This is the first post for me so I hope this finds the Tarsal Tunnel Category. I'm far from a computer wiz.

Terry

Re: Post OP TTS

lauriel on 1/21/03 at 16:01 (106167)

Sounds like you have a lot going on - I havent needed any drugs so far. My Dr. did prescribe me Nerontin because for 2 weeks after I was given the go ahead to walk, I couldnt put any pressure on my heel, because of nerve sensation. But it went away.
My foot up to midcalf was ice cold - like my circulation was cut off. it was such a wierd sensation, after about 3-4 weeks, I felt a pop in my foot, and there was exreme heat running down to my toes and my foot/calf was normal again. I mentioned this to my Dr and he thought I was crazy. Like I was making it up. I still get my nerve pain do to the swelling. I had my nerve test done and all I know is that it came back back with the TTS, cant help you with that one. good luck!

Terry Z on 1/21/03 at 17:11 (106184)

Lauriel,
You had TTS and you didn't need any drugs and the doctor said you could bear weight in two weeks. WOW that's almost to good to be true. I can't bear weight for four weeks and I think it may be a slow process. I've had a lot of strange things happen because of this accident and I always try to remember to tell my doctor. Sometimes I forget even if I write it down because we end up talking about too much stuff. Some of these things sound like we're crazy but we know it's really happening but you can't see it so it hard for most people to understand or believe.

For me, my doctors have a hard time with when I say I have the tightness (which I forgot to include on my first post) in my good foot. It feels like rubberbands on both feet sometimes(which I also forgot to say). This has improved sence surgery so who knows. The other thing I forgot was that I had six tubes of blood taken and they ruled out everything but Lyme disease because I had a false-positive. Then I had to go to my GP and he told me not to worry I didn't have Lyme disease. I have never had any symtoms so he said just forget about it so I did.

By the way how long ago did you have surgery?
Terry

lauriel on 1/21/03 at 18:22 (106195)

Oops I was actually no weight bearihg for 4 weeks. I had my surgery on Decemeber 6th. I know what that ruberband feeling is like especially when I wake up in the morning, you read more on my post for post op

Henry C on 1/23/03 at 11:00 (106470)

Terry,

I have a similar background to yours and hope you have better success. It is very difficult to get good results from TTS surgery as a result of a previous injury. I fell, broke my ankle and tibia and required surgery. As a result of the surgery, I developed TTS. Since I have has two surgeries by two of the best doctors in the country and still suffer to this day!

Most surgery successes are a result of an object placeing pressure on the nerve. In my case they think the nerve was streched in the operation to repair the bones.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you are one of the few lucky ones who have success!

Henry

Terry Z on 1/24/03 at 16:37 (106674)

I want to thank Lauriel and Henry for responding. The past few days have been really rough. Which I know both of you can relate.
Terry

lauriel on 1/21/03 at 16:01 (106167)

Sounds like you have a lot going on - I havent needed any drugs so far. My Dr. did prescribe me Nerontin because for 2 weeks after I was given the go ahead to walk, I couldnt put any pressure on my heel, because of nerve sensation. But it went away.
My foot up to midcalf was ice cold - like my circulation was cut off. it was such a wierd sensation, after about 3-4 weeks, I felt a pop in my foot, and there was exreme heat running down to my toes and my foot/calf was normal again. I mentioned this to my Dr and he thought I was crazy. Like I was making it up. I still get my nerve pain do to the swelling. I had my nerve test done and all I know is that it came back back with the TTS, cant help you with that one. good luck!

Terry Z on 1/21/03 at 17:11 (106184)

Lauriel,
You had TTS and you didn't need any drugs and the doctor said you could bear weight in two weeks. WOW that's almost to good to be true. I can't bear weight for four weeks and I think it may be a slow process. I've had a lot of strange things happen because of this accident and I always try to remember to tell my doctor. Sometimes I forget even if I write it down because we end up talking about too much stuff. Some of these things sound like we're crazy but we know it's really happening but you can't see it so it hard for most people to understand or believe.

For me, my doctors have a hard time with when I say I have the tightness (which I forgot to include on my first post) in my good foot. It feels like rubberbands on both feet sometimes(which I also forgot to say). This has improved sence surgery so who knows. The other thing I forgot was that I had six tubes of blood taken and they ruled out everything but Lyme disease because I had a false-positive. Then I had to go to my GP and he told me not to worry I didn't have Lyme disease. I have never had any symtoms so he said just forget about it so I did.

By the way how long ago did you have surgery?
Terry

lauriel on 1/21/03 at 18:22 (106195)

Oops I was actually no weight bearihg for 4 weeks. I had my surgery on Decemeber 6th. I know what that ruberband feeling is like especially when I wake up in the morning, you read more on my post for post op

Henry C on 1/23/03 at 11:00 (106470)

Terry,

I have a similar background to yours and hope you have better success. It is very difficult to get good results from TTS surgery as a result of a previous injury. I fell, broke my ankle and tibia and required surgery. As a result of the surgery, I developed TTS. Since I have has two surgeries by two of the best doctors in the country and still suffer to this day!

Most surgery successes are a result of an object placeing pressure on the nerve. In my case they think the nerve was streched in the operation to repair the bones.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you are one of the few lucky ones who have success!

Henry

Terry Z on 1/24/03 at 16:37 (106674)

I want to thank Lauriel and Henry for responding. The past few days have been really rough. Which I know both of you can relate.
Terry