Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Accute Peroneal tendonitis - Healing time

Posted by Norbert K on 1/22/03 at 02:01 (106234)

About 6 weeks ago I got off an aircraft with a minor pain in my left ankle. 24 hours later this turned into severe pain with accute swelling in the entire foot. The pain was intense and I couldn't even put a blanket on my foot. They first worried about DVT but riled that out quickly.

The Doctors then diagnosed Gout and put me on gout treatment. It wasn't gout. I had an X-ray and bone scan and then an MRI!. The latter two confirmed peroneal tendonitis. Everyone was very surprised at the swelling.

I then started intense physio therapy and now I have no pain and I can put probably 90% of my weight on my foot. I am still using one crutch so not to over load the foot.

My concern however is the swelling. My entire foot swells up if it is not elevated, then my ankle swells. No pain just swelling.

Should I be concerned about this swelling? Given the rate of improvement in the last few weeks I would have thought the swelling would go away.

Finally, what is the recovery time. I'm excercising it gently every day, putting some weight on it. It's been 6 weeks plus now, how much longer?

Thanks
Norbert

Re: Accute Peroneal tendonitis - Healing time

Dr. Z on 1/22/03 at 15:40 (106351)

Do you have a history of venous insufficieny or in plain english poor return of fluids from your foot. Any viens sticking out is something to look at if you don't know the answer. It good that the foot is feeling and oding better. This swelling is strange but they did check for DVT. Stress could be a stress fracture or injury to a joint surface. My quesss is a vien return problem. Have your doctor check it out. Wear compression stockings and or ace bandages

nancy s. on 1/22/03 at 16:05 (106358)

dr z, not to be picky, but what did you mean by 'the foot is feeling and oding better'?
nancy

Leon S. on 1/22/03 at 18:45 (106377)

Judging by some of his other typos, I think the good Doc meant 'doing better'

nancy s. on 1/22/03 at 18:48 (106379)

that's it! usually -- not always, but usually --i can decipher, but for some reason that one had me stumped.

Dr. Z on 1/22/03 at 19:06 (106384)

My problem tonite is that I have my new 16 week yorky sleeping on my typing arm. Her nam is Josi. She is a real sweet heart. She is now on my lap. What I meant is since the foot is feeling and getting better I am not that concerned. It still is possible that there is a stress fracture. So its time for the doctor to examine and press on all the joints and ligaments to determine it everything is going in the right direction

Norbert K on 1/22/03 at 20:24 (106395)

Thanks Dr. Z.

Would the MRI and bone scan show up some sort of stress fracture?

Also, I still have some slight discoloration around the tendon area which is worse with swelling.

On your advice I have put a stocking on which seems to help a lot actually to keep the swelling down.

I have had no medical history at all, I'm quite young and in pretty good health. My Physio has been working on it daily and has been poking and proding and doesn't seem too concerned.

Thanks
Norbert.

Dr. Z on 1/22/03 at 20:45 (106396)

An Mri would show a stress fracture. It will also show the condition of the peroneal tendon, ligaments. joint surface. Lets see how the stocking works for the next week or two. Your physio person is really on top of this. Glad you are getting better. Wear the stocking

Re: dogs name

carmen h on 1/24/03 at 08:27 (106601)

My doxie's name is Josie.

Dr. Z on 1/22/03 at 15:40 (106351)

Do you have a history of venous insufficieny or in plain english poor return of fluids from your foot. Any viens sticking out is something to look at if you don't know the answer. It good that the foot is feeling and oding better. This swelling is strange but they did check for DVT. Stress could be a stress fracture or injury to a joint surface. My quesss is a vien return problem. Have your doctor check it out. Wear compression stockings and or ace bandages

nancy s. on 1/22/03 at 16:05 (106358)

dr z, not to be picky, but what did you mean by 'the foot is feeling and oding better'?
nancy

Leon S. on 1/22/03 at 18:45 (106377)

Judging by some of his other typos, I think the good Doc meant 'doing better'

nancy s. on 1/22/03 at 18:48 (106379)

that's it! usually -- not always, but usually --i can decipher, but for some reason that one had me stumped.

Dr. Z on 1/22/03 at 19:06 (106384)

My problem tonite is that I have my new 16 week yorky sleeping on my typing arm. Her nam is Josi. She is a real sweet heart. She is now on my lap. What I meant is since the foot is feeling and getting better I am not that concerned. It still is possible that there is a stress fracture. So its time for the doctor to examine and press on all the joints and ligaments to determine it everything is going in the right direction

Norbert K on 1/22/03 at 20:24 (106395)

Thanks Dr. Z.

Would the MRI and bone scan show up some sort of stress fracture?

Also, I still have some slight discoloration around the tendon area which is worse with swelling.

On your advice I have put a stocking on which seems to help a lot actually to keep the swelling down.

I have had no medical history at all, I'm quite young and in pretty good health. My Physio has been working on it daily and has been poking and proding and doesn't seem too concerned.

Thanks
Norbert.

Dr. Z on 1/22/03 at 20:45 (106396)

An Mri would show a stress fracture. It will also show the condition of the peroneal tendon, ligaments. joint surface. Lets see how the stocking works for the next week or two. Your physio person is really on top of this. Glad you are getting better. Wear the stocking

Re: dogs name

carmen h on 1/24/03 at 08:27 (106601)

My doxie's name is Josie.