Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm back from the neurologist

Posted by Cherie on 1/22/03 at 21:36 (106402)

I finally got to see the neurologist today. I had the complete nerve conduction studies done. The 1st set I had 1 month after the injury and they did not do the needle part. Needless to say, it hurts like hell to have it done. Report states I have a lft posterior tibial nerve injury which involves the medial plantar branch with evidence of denervation and early reinnervation. No conduction block was detected, but I did have no medial plantar sensory response. The doctor said that he thought that I could possibly have a complete recovery, but it will take 8 months-1year due to the amount of damage (repairs only 1mm/day). I still take 400mg Neurontin daily and he started me on Lexapro for depression. He said I did not have RSD. Very nice guy, but he could not tell me whether I can go without this damn boot. It seems to be causing a callous to form beneath my other toes to match the big bump under my big toe, feels like walking on marbles. I guess I'll have to call my orthopedic guy and try to get back into him. What would you guys recommend?? Physical therapy, boot or no boot (if I can walk w/o it), or any ideas??? I also began taking tons of B vitamin complexes, you know when you're desperate anything sounds good. Please let me know how you would advise a pt to proceed after a report like this....Thanks so much....Cherie

Re: I'm back from the neurologist

wendyn on 1/23/03 at 08:52 (106440)

Cherie - along with your 'tons of B vitamins' - you may want to consider going to a health food store for vitamin b12. You can get some lozenges that you disolve under your tongue - the dose is about 1000 mcg (much more than you get in a multivitamin). I've heard positive things about b12 helping with nerve damange and problems (and I'm still using it myself)

From everything I've read - there is no upper safe limit for b12 - so you should be safe taking the lozenges along with a multi

Re: I'm back from the neurologist

wendyn on 1/23/03 at 08:52 (106440)

Cherie - along with your 'tons of B vitamins' - you may want to consider going to a health food store for vitamin b12. You can get some lozenges that you disolve under your tongue - the dose is about 1000 mcg (much more than you get in a multivitamin). I've heard positive things about b12 helping with nerve damange and problems (and I'm still using it myself)

From everything I've read - there is no upper safe limit for b12 - so you should be safe taking the lozenges along with a multi