Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SDO's

Posted by Pete on 1/23/03 at 03:40 (106416)

Having just taken delivery of my 6th (i've lost count) pair of orthotics which are far too hard to ever use, I'm at the end of my tether with them.

Note comments on SDO's and many peoples success with them. I live in England so not sure how realistic it is too expect them to be successful. However, may give them a try. Couple of questions.

1. Do they address any biomechanical problems ?

2. How can they be altered etc if I'm several thousand miles away.

Comments please.
Pete

Re: SDO's

PhysicsRon on 1/24/03 at 13:39 (106642)

Hi Pete...You didn't mention what your aliment was...I use them to cure my PF.

SDO's align ones feet by varying the amount of silicon mainly in the arch so it forces one to pass through subtalar neutral position with every gait cycle. They may not be quite as controlling as deep heel cup hard orthtoics but then they feel better too.

As I understand Dr Kiper's proeedure is to determine the adjustment needed after 4 - 6 weeks of wearing, then send you the adjusted SDO immediately. Once you have the correct one you send the old ones back. Nice system but then look at his $$. I think it works because the basic SDO is small & lite & can go by letter packet.

Sounds like you'd be a tough patient...why don't you relay your experience with them to the Board. Good luck.

Julie on 1/24/03 at 14:23 (106646)

Oete

If you think you'd like to try the SDOs, get in touch with Dr Kiper. Several thousand miles is nothing to the post (a parcel I send to Crete two days ago arrived today; letters from Australia take no time at all. I'll bet Dr Kiper will be happy to deal with you. The worst that can happen is that you'll have to pay postage if there is any to-ing and fro-ing.

Have a go.

Mahatmelissama on 1/25/03 at 23:26 (106809)

They helped me. Sometimes I can't stand without them.

Andrue on 1/26/03 at 04:58 (106814)

I emailed him a month back and he says that he already has quite a few customers in the UK. Distance is not an issue these days where the post is concerned. It depends how much he/you spend on shipping costs but you should be able to get them within a few days. I ordered some insoles from this site and got them within a week.

carmen h on 1/28/03 at 12:54 (107148)

Love the sdo's....I was on my fourth pair of orthotics and I stopped at these.
worth the money.

Re: SDO's / to carmen

nancy s. on 1/28/03 at 16:51 (107175)

carmen, i'm still interested in possibly trying the sdo's, and i'll go to dr. kiper with most of my questions. but i just wanted to ask you: when i tried gel heel cushions (long ago! 3 years), and gel otc inserts, my heels/feet always felt unstable, moved up and down and around too much, and my feet felt much worse and more painful. i didn't use them for long; just brief experiments.

are these different? one thing i love about birks is that the support is so firm -- my heels don't move around and feel stabbed. but for my snowboots and athletic walking shoes i'd still love some great inserts/orthotics that don't do that and also don't overdo the arch for my collapsible feet.

do you feel completely stable in the sdo's?

thanks, carmen.

nancy

carmen h on 1/31/03 at 10:14 (107476)

Yes they are different as the gel in them is determined by your foot imprint. It took about a day to get used to them...but now I won't walk without them.
I feel completely stable in them...and I swear it's all those other orthotics that caused my ankle trouble....especially the semi rigids.
Please let me know how it goes.
Do you still have my email?

nancy s. on 1/31/03 at 16:41 (107507)

carmen, i do still have your email. because of finances, i probably won't pursue this until the spring, but when i do, i'll definitely let you know how it goes! many thanks for your input.

nancy

PhysicsRon on 1/24/03 at 13:39 (106642)

Hi Pete...You didn't mention what your aliment was...I use them to cure my PF.

SDO's align ones feet by varying the amount of silicon mainly in the arch so it forces one to pass through subtalar neutral position with every gait cycle. They may not be quite as controlling as deep heel cup hard orthtoics but then they feel better too.

As I understand Dr Kiper's proeedure is to determine the adjustment needed after 4 - 6 weeks of wearing, then send you the adjusted SDO immediately. Once you have the correct one you send the old ones back. Nice system but then look at his $$. I think it works because the basic SDO is small & lite & can go by letter packet.

Sounds like you'd be a tough patient...why don't you relay your experience with them to the Board. Good luck.

Julie on 1/24/03 at 14:23 (106646)

Oete

If you think you'd like to try the SDOs, get in touch with Dr Kiper. Several thousand miles is nothing to the post (a parcel I send to Crete two days ago arrived today; letters from Australia take no time at all. I'll bet Dr Kiper will be happy to deal with you. The worst that can happen is that you'll have to pay postage if there is any to-ing and fro-ing.

Have a go.

Mahatmelissama on 1/25/03 at 23:26 (106809)

They helped me. Sometimes I can't stand without them.

Andrue on 1/26/03 at 04:58 (106814)

I emailed him a month back and he says that he already has quite a few customers in the UK. Distance is not an issue these days where the post is concerned. It depends how much he/you spend on shipping costs but you should be able to get them within a few days. I ordered some insoles from this site and got them within a week.

carmen h on 1/28/03 at 12:54 (107148)

Love the sdo's....I was on my fourth pair of orthotics and I stopped at these.
worth the money.

nancy s. on 1/28/03 at 16:51 (107175)

carmen, i'm still interested in possibly trying the sdo's, and i'll go to dr. kiper with most of my questions. but i just wanted to ask you: when i tried gel heel cushions (long ago! 3 years), and gel otc inserts, my heels/feet always felt unstable, moved up and down and around too much, and my feet felt much worse and more painful. i didn't use them for long; just brief experiments.

are these different? one thing i love about birks is that the support is so firm -- my heels don't move around and feel stabbed. but for my snowboots and athletic walking shoes i'd still love some great inserts/orthotics that don't do that and also don't overdo the arch for my collapsible feet.

do you feel completely stable in the sdo's?

thanks, carmen.

nancy

carmen h on 1/31/03 at 10:14 (107476)

Yes they are different as the gel in them is determined by your foot imprint. It took about a day to get used to them...but now I won't walk without them.
I feel completely stable in them...and I swear it's all those other orthotics that caused my ankle trouble....especially the semi rigids.
Please let me know how it goes.
Do you still have my email?

nancy s. on 1/31/03 at 16:41 (107507)

carmen, i do still have your email. because of finances, i probably won't pursue this until the spring, but when i do, i'll definitely let you know how it goes! many thanks for your input.

nancy