Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

brrrr again

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 07:11 (106420)

It was only 36 here this morning, and windy... brrr! My shoulder began to hurt again but I'm going to do some stretches and maybe that will take care of that. Tonight they are predicting a hard freeze again. Here's what the National Weather Service in New Orleans told our local news media about it:

'At the moment, it looks like temperatures could be in the mid- to upper 20s from 3 a.m. until 9 a.m. Friday,' Koziara said. 'It's a red flag for a place like New Orleans, where you have homes all over the city with exposed pipes.'

This has sure been a cold January down here! I am ready for spring. Remember all my complaining about the heat last summer? I take it all back. LOL

Carole C

Re: brrrr again

dave r on 1/23/03 at 07:33 (106421)

30 below at my house this morning!!!!!!!!!!

Suzanne D on 1/23/03 at 08:32 (106433)

Hi, Carole! It's in the single digits here with wind chills at or below zero. It made me think of Wendy this morning! Brrr! We're out of school with about 3 inches of snow. It's been several years since we have missed more than 2 or 3 days a year. But I remember years ago when my daughter was about 3 and we missed 22 days! Of course we make up these missed school days. To date, we have missed 6 so far and one of our two weeks of spring break is gone now.

I hope everyone stays safe and warm!
Suzanne :-)

Re: brrrr again-P.S.

Suzanne D on 1/23/03 at 08:35 (106434)

I don't mean to keep saying the same thing over and over, Carole, but I wish you could find one of those 'bed buddies' or the like with the rice inside which can be heated in the microwave. I just keep thinking that would help your shoulder during this cold weather. Of course your stretching is good, and I know you know how to take care of yourself. If you can't find one in a drug store, I would be glad to get one and mail it to you. I think you have my e-mail address. If not, I'll post it for you.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 09:37 (106449)

Thanks, Suzanne! I appreciate your thoughtfulness and caring. I will go look for one after work if I have the energy, or if not then I'll look this weekend. We have a Bed, Bath, and Beyond here and so I'm sure I can find one there or in a drugstore. If not, I'll let you know. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 09:43 (106450)

Wow! That's a lot of snow days, Suzanne. I'll bet it was kind of nice when your daughter was 3, getting to spend more time at home with her like that. It's probably not as much fun now. We got two or three hurricane days off for Isidore and Lili last fall, and although we needed the time off it wasn't exactly fun. I suppose with the snow days you have to do things like shovel snow or figure out ways to keep your family warmer so that nobody catches cold.

I'm glad you have at least one week of spring break left!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 09:45 (106451)

Dave, that's outrageously cold! You must live up by Hudson Bay or something! I can't imagine temperatures below zero. Even the predicted 25 degrees seems pretty adventurous to us here.

Carole C

dave r on 1/23/03 at 09:58 (106453)

Carole, i live in wisconsin. its so freaken cold here!!!!!!!
30 below this morning. Its suppose to be 20 below tonight again.
i remeber a few years ago it was 80 below with the wind chill for a week straight. that was unbelieveable. I remember i was out ice fishing on green bay.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 10:15 (106457)

I had no idea that the temperature is 30 below zero in Wisconsin! Oh wait... I just looked at a weather site that says that yesterday's minimum for Madison was 2 below zero. I guess you are talking about wind chill, not temperature?

Our wind chill is a lot lower than our temperature too, because we've been having huge gusts! They've quieted down today a little, but our wind chill is 24 with a temperature of 35. It doesn't seem to be getting any warmer than it was at 5:30 when I got up. I don't see how you all manage up there in Wisconsin with temperatures and wind chills like that! It must be hard to do much of anything at all.

Carole C

dave r on 1/23/03 at 10:18 (106458)

I can take my shoes off and freeze my feet when they bother me:))

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 10:22 (106460)

Good idea! No need to go to any trouble to ice your feet. You can just plop them in a snowbank. The snow would probably even conform to the shape of your foot pretty well. (grin)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/23/03 at 10:32 (106461)

Yes, Carole, it was fun when she was little. I remember that particular year (when we missed the 22 days): I made an outfit a day for her Cabbage Patch doll from scraps that I had around the house. She ended up with a whole wardrobe of dollclothes! I imagine your daughter also had a Cabbage Patch doll or two. Do you remember how hard they were to get one Christmas?

I try to relax some when we have snow days and also catch up on things I need to do. Today I'm going to try to help my younger daughter make some bracelets. She wants to sell some at a friend's booth at a flea market as her choir is taking two trips this spring, and she wants to earn some spending money.

john h on 1/23/03 at 11:01 (106471)

'Bed Buddy'? I am afraid to ask what that my be Suzanne. As Brian might say military guys have often heard the phrase 'hey sailor do you need a bed buddy?'

john h on 1/23/03 at 11:09 (106474)

Carole it was below zero with the wind chill factor in Little Rock this morning. Supposed to be colder tomorrow. My feet never do as well in the winter as summer. I think this is because I move out of Birks when it is this cold and my outdoor activities are limited.

Suzanne D on 1/23/03 at 11:43 (106478)

:-) I did think that was a 'funny' title for it myself, John! Actually, I guess it is called that because you can wrap the rice-filled cloth 'contraption', warmed from the microwave, around your neck or wrist or whatever and take it to bed with you. You don't have to worry like you might if it were a heating pad plugged in. I'd say the name has helped the product to get attention!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 12:15 (106480)

BRRRR! John, I don't move out of my Birks when it gets cold like this. I don't wear them outside, but I continue to wear them at home, with thick socks, and I turn the heat up a couple of degrees. Maybe you could bring yourself to wear your Birkenstocks with your Thorlos at home. I'm sure Mary would not tell anyone. LOL

With all the unusually cold weather we've been having all over the country this January, I'm amazed and glad that I haven't read about people freezing to death up north this year.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 12:17 (106481)

Now John, you know I'm single! Obviously a bed buddy is just the thing to warm up my shoulder since I don't have anybody to cuddle with. LOL

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 12:27 (106482)

Yes, I do remember! I think that was 1983. It was so hard to get Cabbage Patch dolls that year in San Diego and I couldn't find one at all. They were being re-sold for hundreds of dollars in the paper and stores were mobbed; the dolls never hit the floor. I bought her another type of doll.

Three months later we moved to Texas, and I went to the mall. Much to my surprise, there were two Cabbage Patch infant dolls just waiting to be bought in a department store there, so I bought one for her. The mother of a little girl in her ballet class bought the other, so they had fun with their babies. The next Christmas Cabbage Patch dolls were easier to find, so I bought her a pretty one with red pigtails, and she was very happy with it. By then I was back in engineering school and I don't recall sewing any clothes for it, though. She might have had some real baby clothes to dress her in.

I admire you for getting so much done on your snow days! I'd be tempted to just watch TV and play games on my Playstation. :)

Carole C

dave r on 1/23/03 at 07:33 (106421)

30 below at my house this morning!!!!!!!!!!

Suzanne D on 1/23/03 at 08:32 (106433)

Hi, Carole! It's in the single digits here with wind chills at or below zero. It made me think of Wendy this morning! Brrr! We're out of school with about 3 inches of snow. It's been several years since we have missed more than 2 or 3 days a year. But I remember years ago when my daughter was about 3 and we missed 22 days! Of course we make up these missed school days. To date, we have missed 6 so far and one of our two weeks of spring break is gone now.

I hope everyone stays safe and warm!

Suzanne D on 1/23/03 at 08:35 (106434)

I don't mean to keep saying the same thing over and over, Carole, but I wish you could find one of those 'bed buddies' or the like with the rice inside which can be heated in the microwave. I just keep thinking that would help your shoulder during this cold weather. Of course your stretching is good, and I know you know how to take care of yourself. If you can't find one in a drug store, I would be glad to get one and mail it to you. I think you have my e-mail address. If not, I'll post it for you.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 09:37 (106449)

Thanks, Suzanne! I appreciate your thoughtfulness and caring. I will go look for one after work if I have the energy, or if not then I'll look this weekend. We have a Bed, Bath, and Beyond here and so I'm sure I can find one there or in a drugstore. If not, I'll let you know. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 09:43 (106450)

Wow! That's a lot of snow days, Suzanne. I'll bet it was kind of nice when your daughter was 3, getting to spend more time at home with her like that. It's probably not as much fun now. We got two or three hurricane days off for Isidore and Lili last fall, and although we needed the time off it wasn't exactly fun. I suppose with the snow days you have to do things like shovel snow or figure out ways to keep your family warmer so that nobody catches cold.

I'm glad you have at least one week of spring break left!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 09:45 (106451)

Dave, that's outrageously cold! You must live up by Hudson Bay or something! I can't imagine temperatures below zero. Even the predicted 25 degrees seems pretty adventurous to us here.

Carole C

dave r on 1/23/03 at 09:58 (106453)

Carole, i live in wisconsin. its so freaken cold here!!!!!!!
30 below this morning. Its suppose to be 20 below tonight again.
i remeber a few years ago it was 80 below with the wind chill for a week straight. that was unbelieveable. I remember i was out ice fishing on green bay.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 10:15 (106457)

I had no idea that the temperature is 30 below zero in Wisconsin! Oh wait... I just looked at a weather site that says that yesterday's minimum for Madison was 2 below zero. I guess you are talking about wind chill, not temperature?

Our wind chill is a lot lower than our temperature too, because we've been having huge gusts! They've quieted down today a little, but our wind chill is 24 with a temperature of 35. It doesn't seem to be getting any warmer than it was at 5:30 when I got up. I don't see how you all manage up there in Wisconsin with temperatures and wind chills like that! It must be hard to do much of anything at all.

Carole C

dave r on 1/23/03 at 10:18 (106458)

I can take my shoes off and freeze my feet when they bother me:))

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 10:22 (106460)

Good idea! No need to go to any trouble to ice your feet. You can just plop them in a snowbank. The snow would probably even conform to the shape of your foot pretty well. (grin)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/23/03 at 10:32 (106461)

Yes, Carole, it was fun when she was little. I remember that particular year (when we missed the 22 days): I made an outfit a day for her Cabbage Patch doll from scraps that I had around the house. She ended up with a whole wardrobe of dollclothes! I imagine your daughter also had a Cabbage Patch doll or two. Do you remember how hard they were to get one Christmas?

I try to relax some when we have snow days and also catch up on things I need to do. Today I'm going to try to help my younger daughter make some bracelets. She wants to sell some at a friend's booth at a flea market as her choir is taking two trips this spring, and she wants to earn some spending money.

john h on 1/23/03 at 11:01 (106471)

'Bed Buddy'? I am afraid to ask what that my be Suzanne. As Brian might say military guys have often heard the phrase 'hey sailor do you need a bed buddy?'

john h on 1/23/03 at 11:09 (106474)

Carole it was below zero with the wind chill factor in Little Rock this morning. Supposed to be colder tomorrow. My feet never do as well in the winter as summer. I think this is because I move out of Birks when it is this cold and my outdoor activities are limited.

Suzanne D on 1/23/03 at 11:43 (106478)

:-) I did think that was a 'funny' title for it myself, John! Actually, I guess it is called that because you can wrap the rice-filled cloth 'contraption', warmed from the microwave, around your neck or wrist or whatever and take it to bed with you. You don't have to worry like you might if it were a heating pad plugged in. I'd say the name has helped the product to get attention!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 12:15 (106480)

BRRRR! John, I don't move out of my Birks when it gets cold like this. I don't wear them outside, but I continue to wear them at home, with thick socks, and I turn the heat up a couple of degrees. Maybe you could bring yourself to wear your Birkenstocks with your Thorlos at home. I'm sure Mary would not tell anyone. LOL

With all the unusually cold weather we've been having all over the country this January, I'm amazed and glad that I haven't read about people freezing to death up north this year.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 12:17 (106481)

Now John, you know I'm single! Obviously a bed buddy is just the thing to warm up my shoulder since I don't have anybody to cuddle with. LOL

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 12:27 (106482)

Yes, I do remember! I think that was 1983. It was so hard to get Cabbage Patch dolls that year in San Diego and I couldn't find one at all. They were being re-sold for hundreds of dollars in the paper and stores were mobbed; the dolls never hit the floor. I bought her another type of doll.

Three months later we moved to Texas, and I went to the mall. Much to my surprise, there were two Cabbage Patch infant dolls just waiting to be bought in a department store there, so I bought one for her. The mother of a little girl in her ballet class bought the other, so they had fun with their babies. The next Christmas Cabbage Patch dolls were easier to find, so I bought her a pretty one with red pigtails, and she was very happy with it. By then I was back in engineering school and I don't recall sewing any clothes for it, though. She might have had some real baby clothes to dress her in.

I admire you for getting so much done on your snow days! I'd be tempted to just watch TV and play games on my Playstation. :)

Carole C