Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Snow in the South

Posted by Richard, C.Ped on 1/23/03 at 07:55 (106426)

I know you Yankees are used to it, but I think it was really cool to wake up to a snow covered lawn this morning in Columbia, SC. I am sitting here at work right now. I know the pedorthics business is going to be slow today...if anything, but good thing we also own a ski shop!! This has been a great season thus far, and I think this will really stir people to want to hit the slopes.

If you think it is weird that we are a ski shop in the south, the largest ski shop in the southeast is in Orlando Floridia. haha.

Richard

Re: Snow in the South

Suzanne D on 1/23/03 at 08:50 (106439)

To me, there's nothing any prettier than a snow-covered lawn. It brings out the child in me! (Well, actually lots of things do that to me as many of you who 'know' me realize! I'm never far from my first graders' viewpoints.)

I have to admit I WAS nervous this morning when my daughter left to drive 15 miles into town as we don't consistently get much snow, so we don't have a lot of driving experience with it. My school is nearly always closed when there is much snow, so I have never learned to be confident driving in it. My daughter is doing her student teaching in a city system, and she had to go on today. It is good, though, for her to learn and not be afraid to drive in it like I am!

Snow-covered lawns bring to mind my childhood: listening to the radio in the kitchen to see if we had school, making snowmen, drinking hot
chocolate, and staying at my great-aunt's on snow days. One year we missed several days in a row (It seemed to snow more then!), and we made
a 'totem pole', making a new face each day. My great-aunt taught school 47 years and retired when I was ten. She always seemed to have great
projects planned for my sister and cousins and I.

Well, just imagine, all this from thinking about a lawn covered with snow! Enjoy your snow, Richard. Don't you have a little girl (or am I mixing that up? If I am, sorry.) If you DO, then I hope she has an exciting day seeing snow.

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 09:47 (106452)

Oh my goodness, Richard! Snow in Columbia? What a beautiful surprise. I hope there are not too many accidents as people try to navigate through the snow.

We haven't had snow in New Orleans since I've been here, and I heard that the last time it snowed here (years ago), the whole city was paralyzed.

Carole C

Julie on 1/23/03 at 10:04 (106454)

Carole, London also gets paralysed whenever there is snow. Cities that tend not to have extreme weather don't seem to know what to do on the rare occasions when it happens.

We're inventive with our excuses for paralysis here. I shall never forget the Autumn, several years ago, when the entire London suburban rail network was brought to a standstill by the leaves that fell on the lines. (Yes, you'd expect that in Autumn, wouldn't you?) The rail authority's excuse was that they were 'the wrong sort of leaves'.

Come to think of it I think we once had a paralysis due to the wrong sort of snow, too.

And while I'm at it I meant to tell you all that I MISSED THE SNOW that fell on London two weeks ago. There I was enjoying Spring in Crete, and it SNOWED here, for the first time in years. It was only two inches, and it only lasted for a day, but I missed it. Serves me right, going away.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 10:07 (106456)

Julie, I'm sorry to hear that you missed the snowfall in London! But take heart. Spring won't be here for a while, and you may see snow yet this year. :)

Carole C

Richard, C.Ped on 1/23/03 at 11:04 (106472)

Yes, my daughter is 18 months old now. She was just waking up when I was leaving this morning. My wife called and told me they were playing in it, then they walked about 1/2 mile to a friends house. I am very jealous right now. That is ok though, I will have fun with her later today.

You would not believe how many accidents there are.......well, maybe you would. The roads are not bad, but you have those that do not know how to drive that usually end up in the ditches. We even had one school bus accident, but from what I heard, everyone is fine.

Richard

Re: **SEND SOME MY WAY RICHARD!!!******* (NM)

Necee on 1/23/03 at 15:33 (106498)

Necee

Julie on 1/23/03 at 16:27 (106509)

Thank you Carole, but please don't feel too sorry for me. I was having a thoroughly wonderful time where I was. :)

pala on 1/23/03 at 17:30 (106515)

we have a tom cat who found us and we have been trying to civilize him but he won't stay in the house more than ten minutes at a time. very afraid, came here very abused. am worried about him tonite. am going to lock him in the bathroom with the window open so he can come and go. getting him in there should be quite a battle. his name is ernie. if the slightest sound is made in the house when he is in it he hurls himself at closed windows. slides to the floor like a cartoon animal and just keeps hurling till we open the door and let him out.

nancy s. on 1/23/03 at 17:38 (106517)

julie, thanks for my laugh of the day: 'the wrong sort of leaves' stopped the trains. that is kind of a sad excuse, isn't it? i'm trying to imagine what the 'wrong sort of snow' was like that also caused paralysis.

in my opinion, no autumn leaves can be wrong, and most snow can be wrong! but i'm operating under a big bias up here right now!

nancy

nancy s. on 1/23/03 at 17:46 (106519)

paula: did he come with a name tag that said 'ernie'? or did he actually speak and tell you his name is ernie? in either case, he sounds special enough to post his pic in the gallery here along with one of you.

the bathroom window solution sounds ideal, but be careful. someone in my shop today said that georgia is well below freezing today, is that true? i've been handing out advice on here, about leaving the tap running a little bit to avoid freezing pipes, and of course i neglected to do this in my shop. it isn't supposed to go below 45 degrees in there, but today -- no tap water is running. we believe the underground water pipe is now frozen. i guess i won't be washing the dust off of anything out there till late spring.

nancy

pala on 1/23/03 at 19:24 (106532)

ernie came with a badly damaged leg and starved and terrified. it has taken a year to have him come in the house and be able to get near him at all. larry named him. he had no tags. this is a renovating neighborhood with lots of wretched animals. if they make it to my door, theyre in. or as in as i can get them. we have another tom cat named magic. we can't even pet him and he won't come in at all. then we have a girl cat named kitty and she comes and goes as pleases. she was a stray too and bites and scratches us at every opportunity. but is tamer than she was when she came here. our cats have varying degrees of post truamatic stress disorder.

Suzanne D on 1/23/03 at 21:16 (106553)

I think it's kind of you to take care of these poor animals, Pala. We all have our gifts which we can use to help others, I believe.

Sometimes I think I end up with many of the troubled children in first grade because others think I will not be dragging them into the office at every opportunity and will be more patient with them. It can be a hard battle; it's amazing how hurt and confused and angry a 6 year old can become in a few short years.

How did I get from cats to children? Somehow that's always where I end up!

Stay warm,

Julie on 1/24/03 at 02:41 (106581)

Nancy, I'm glad you liked it. It's been a family giggle for us for years and years - one easily applied to all sorts of situations.

The wrong sort of snow? I think it was the heavy, slushy variety and then the temperature dropped and it froze. It was enough to bring the nation to a standstill. I shake my head in disbelief at the chaos a couple of inches of snow causes here. In my Bronx childhood long ago we regularly had at least one or two feet of snow in the winter (I have pictures to prove it) and as I recall, life carried on more or less as usual. I can remember taking my approximately two-feet-tall dog for a walk after a snowfall - he had to take great leaps just to keep his head above the snow line.

I wish you could all have seen the sunrise here this morning - the sky was all streaky pink, where it wasn't astonishingly navy blue and clear.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/24/03 at 06:59 (106593)

Suzanne, thank goodness for patient teachers like you who can deal with confuse, angry six year olds. You are probably absolutely right, that you get more of them than the other teachers, but that is a compliment to your abilities as a teacher.

It's a lot harder to provide a good learning experience in first grade for all of your students when you have a few of the difficult ones to cope with at the same time, but I'll bet you do a great job of it.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/23/03 at 08:50 (106439)

To me, there's nothing any prettier than a snow-covered lawn. It brings out the child in me! (Well, actually lots of things do that to me as many of you who 'know' me realize! I'm never far from my first graders' viewpoints.)

I have to admit I WAS nervous this morning when my daughter left to drive 15 miles into town as we don't consistently get much snow, so we don't have a lot of driving experience with it. My school is nearly always closed when there is much snow, so I have never learned to be confident driving in it. My daughter is doing her student teaching in a city system, and she had to go on today. It is good, though, for her to learn and not be afraid to drive in it like I am!

Snow-covered lawns bring to mind my childhood: listening to the radio in the kitchen to see if we had school, making snowmen, drinking hot
chocolate, and staying at my great-aunt's on snow days. One year we missed several days in a row (It seemed to snow more then!), and we made
a 'totem pole', making a new face each day. My great-aunt taught school 47 years and retired when I was ten. She always seemed to have great
projects planned for my sister and cousins and I.

Well, just imagine, all this from thinking about a lawn covered with snow! Enjoy your snow, Richard. Don't you have a little girl (or am I mixing that up? If I am, sorry.) If you DO, then I hope she has an exciting day seeing snow.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 09:47 (106452)

Oh my goodness, Richard! Snow in Columbia? What a beautiful surprise. I hope there are not too many accidents as people try to navigate through the snow.

We haven't had snow in New Orleans since I've been here, and I heard that the last time it snowed here (years ago), the whole city was paralyzed.

Carole C

Julie on 1/23/03 at 10:04 (106454)

Carole, London also gets paralysed whenever there is snow. Cities that tend not to have extreme weather don't seem to know what to do on the rare occasions when it happens.

We're inventive with our excuses for paralysis here. I shall never forget the Autumn, several years ago, when the entire London suburban rail network was brought to a standstill by the leaves that fell on the lines. (Yes, you'd expect that in Autumn, wouldn't you?) The rail authority's excuse was that they were 'the wrong sort of leaves'.

Come to think of it I think we once had a paralysis due to the wrong sort of snow, too.

And while I'm at it I meant to tell you all that I MISSED THE SNOW that fell on London two weeks ago. There I was enjoying Spring in Crete, and it SNOWED here, for the first time in years. It was only two inches, and it only lasted for a day, but I missed it. Serves me right, going away.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/23/03 at 10:07 (106456)

Julie, I'm sorry to hear that you missed the snowfall in London! But take heart. Spring won't be here for a while, and you may see snow yet this year. :)

Carole C

Richard, C.Ped on 1/23/03 at 11:04 (106472)

Yes, my daughter is 18 months old now. She was just waking up when I was leaving this morning. My wife called and told me they were playing in it, then they walked about 1/2 mile to a friends house. I am very jealous right now. That is ok though, I will have fun with her later today.

You would not believe how many accidents there are.......well, maybe you would. The roads are not bad, but you have those that do not know how to drive that usually end up in the ditches. We even had one school bus accident, but from what I heard, everyone is fine.

Richard

Re: **SEND SOME MY WAY RICHARD!!!******* (NM)

Necee on 1/23/03 at 15:33 (106498)

Necee

Julie on 1/23/03 at 16:27 (106509)

Thank you Carole, but please don't feel too sorry for me. I was having a thoroughly wonderful time where I was. :)

pala on 1/23/03 at 17:30 (106515)

we have a tom cat who found us and we have been trying to civilize him but he won't stay in the house more than ten minutes at a time. very afraid, came here very abused. am worried about him tonite. am going to lock him in the bathroom with the window open so he can come and go. getting him in there should be quite a battle. his name is ernie. if the slightest sound is made in the house when he is in it he hurls himself at closed windows. slides to the floor like a cartoon animal and just keeps hurling till we open the door and let him out.

nancy s. on 1/23/03 at 17:38 (106517)

julie, thanks for my laugh of the day: 'the wrong sort of leaves' stopped the trains. that is kind of a sad excuse, isn't it? i'm trying to imagine what the 'wrong sort of snow' was like that also caused paralysis.

in my opinion, no autumn leaves can be wrong, and most snow can be wrong! but i'm operating under a big bias up here right now!

nancy

nancy s. on 1/23/03 at 17:46 (106519)

paula: did he come with a name tag that said 'ernie'? or did he actually speak and tell you his name is ernie? in either case, he sounds special enough to post his pic in the gallery here along with one of you.

the bathroom window solution sounds ideal, but be careful. someone in my shop today said that georgia is well below freezing today, is that true? i've been handing out advice on here, about leaving the tap running a little bit to avoid freezing pipes, and of course i neglected to do this in my shop. it isn't supposed to go below 45 degrees in there, but today -- no tap water is running. we believe the underground water pipe is now frozen. i guess i won't be washing the dust off of anything out there till late spring.

nancy

pala on 1/23/03 at 19:24 (106532)

ernie came with a badly damaged leg and starved and terrified. it has taken a year to have him come in the house and be able to get near him at all. larry named him. he had no tags. this is a renovating neighborhood with lots of wretched animals. if they make it to my door, theyre in. or as in as i can get them. we have another tom cat named magic. we can't even pet him and he won't come in at all. then we have a girl cat named kitty and she comes and goes as pleases. she was a stray too and bites and scratches us at every opportunity. but is tamer than she was when she came here. our cats have varying degrees of post truamatic stress disorder.

Suzanne D on 1/23/03 at 21:16 (106553)

I think it's kind of you to take care of these poor animals, Pala. We all have our gifts which we can use to help others, I believe.

Sometimes I think I end up with many of the troubled children in first grade because others think I will not be dragging them into the office at every opportunity and will be more patient with them. It can be a hard battle; it's amazing how hurt and confused and angry a 6 year old can become in a few short years.

How did I get from cats to children? Somehow that's always where I end up!

Stay warm,

Julie on 1/24/03 at 02:41 (106581)

Nancy, I'm glad you liked it. It's been a family giggle for us for years and years - one easily applied to all sorts of situations.

The wrong sort of snow? I think it was the heavy, slushy variety and then the temperature dropped and it froze. It was enough to bring the nation to a standstill. I shake my head in disbelief at the chaos a couple of inches of snow causes here. In my Bronx childhood long ago we regularly had at least one or two feet of snow in the winter (I have pictures to prove it) and as I recall, life carried on more or less as usual. I can remember taking my approximately two-feet-tall dog for a walk after a snowfall - he had to take great leaps just to keep his head above the snow line.

I wish you could all have seen the sunrise here this morning - the sky was all streaky pink, where it wasn't astonishingly navy blue and clear.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/24/03 at 06:59 (106593)

Suzanne, thank goodness for patient teachers like you who can deal with confuse, angry six year olds. You are probably absolutely right, that you get more of them than the other teachers, but that is a compliment to your abilities as a teacher.

It's a lot harder to provide a good learning experience in first grade for all of your students when you have a few of the difficult ones to cope with at the same time, but I'll bet you do a great job of it.

Carole C