Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Treatment of heal spurs

Posted by Mark M on 1/23/03 at 09:11 (106442)

I was recently diagnosed to have a bone spur in my heel which is causing me some pain. I just had an injection in my foot without asking what I was being given. The doctor said it was to dissolve the bone spur and would act within a couple of weeks. If problems still existed then I could get a second injection. If I still needed help he would recommend a foot doctor.

I am trying to figure out what I was given. The main type of injection mentioned is cortisone, but I thought cortisone was just to help relieve the swelling and not to help dissolve the spur. Am I wrong on this? The needle was quick and involved momentary pain, but I have read about severe pain from injections in the foot and my experience wasn't like that.

So, I am wondering what I was likely given. Thanks for the help!

Mark M

Re: Treatment of heal spurs

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/23/03 at 15:31 (106497)

It sounds like you had a local steriod injections. You are correct in stating that the steriod doesn't dissolve any boney spurs but does relieve
swellling pains. I would see a podiatrist because you need other types of treatment in conjunction with the local steriod injections.

Re: Treatment of heal spurs

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/23/03 at 15:31 (106497)

It sounds like you had a local steriod injections. You are correct in stating that the steriod doesn't dissolve any boney spurs but does relieve
swellling pains. I would see a podiatrist because you need other types of treatment in conjunction with the local steriod injections.