Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

achilles tendinitis from too much stretching-help!

Posted by peter f on 1/23/03 at 16:41 (106511)

I had eswt 2 weeks ago and typically have gone to excess with my stretches(the wall stretches and heel lifts on the stairs-you know the ones!) and now have a severe tender spot at the back of the heel on the lateral aspect where the achilles tendon inserts.Dont know what to do-I have read that stretching helps achilles tendinitis or is that the chronic form only-want to start anti-inflammatories but I think I have read to avoid them after eswt-Im sure the eswt is helping my heel already-Any Advice?

Re: achilles tendinitis from too much stretching-help!

Mike W on 1/23/03 at 19:13 (106528)

Hello Peter,

The stretches that you are performing are poor choices and may do more harm than good.

Any stretch performed in a weight bearing position is physiologically incorrect because the muscles will be automatically contracted. This will cause excessive traction on the related tendon where it attaches to your heel bone. Muscles should always be relaxed before stretching.

Instead of those poor stretches you should concentrate on strengthening the opposing anterior and extensor foot and lower leg muscles in a non weight bearing position.

For information on this you should check out http://www.foottrainer.com .

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike W

Julie on 1/24/03 at 02:05 (106578)

Peter, I can't believe you're doing these stretches after all you've read here, and especially so soon after ESWT.

Shame on you! Please stop it!

Do look at Mike's website and consider investing in the Foot Trainer, or at least understand better why these exercises are so diabolical.

And/or click on the word yoga here and be taken to the simple foot exercises that will do your achilles tendon no harm. As you say you 'typically go to excess', I have to remind you to go gently even with these if your AT is inflamed.

Peter F on 1/24/03 at 02:54 (106582)

sorry Julie just got excited after2.5 yrs and decided to really go for it-I'll be a good lad from now on!

Peter F on 1/24/03 at 02:58 (106583)

Thanks I'll check the site but so many people recommend the wall stretches that its always tempting to do them-fact is nobody really knows how to treat PF-except that eswt def has a role-mine has not been a placebo response (infact I think it can be patronising of the medical profession of which I am a member to tell people they are having placebo responses when they have never experienced the pain)

Julie on 1/24/03 at 03:23 (106585)

Good on you, Peter. I think you realised I was chastising good-humouredly, didn't you?

Peter F on 1/24/03 at 12:01 (106632)

absolutely-the women on this site are there to make us behave ourselves and think in a rational way!

Julie on 1/24/03 at 14:19 (106645)

We aim to please!

:o)

Mike W on 1/23/03 at 19:13 (106528)

Hello Peter,

The stretches that you are performing are poor choices and may do more harm than good.

Any stretch performed in a weight bearing position is physiologically incorrect because the muscles will be automatically contracted. This will cause excessive traction on the related tendon where it attaches to your heel bone. Muscles should always be relaxed before stretching.

Instead of those poor stretches you should concentrate on strengthening the opposing anterior and extensor foot and lower leg muscles in a non weight bearing position.

For information on this you should check out http://www.foottrainer.com .

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike W

Julie on 1/24/03 at 02:05 (106578)

Peter, I can't believe you're doing these stretches after all you've read here, and especially so soon after ESWT.

Shame on you! Please stop it!

Do look at Mike's website and consider investing in the Foot Trainer, or at least understand better why these exercises are so diabolical.

And/or click on the word yoga here and be taken to the simple foot exercises that will do your achilles tendon no harm. As you say you 'typically go to excess', I have to remind you to go gently even with these if your AT is inflamed.

Peter F on 1/24/03 at 02:54 (106582)

sorry Julie just got excited after2.5 yrs and decided to really go for it-I'll be a good lad from now on!

Peter F on 1/24/03 at 02:58 (106583)

Thanks I'll check the site but so many people recommend the wall stretches that its always tempting to do them-fact is nobody really knows how to treat PF-except that eswt def has a role-mine has not been a placebo response (infact I think it can be patronising of the medical profession of which I am a member to tell people they are having placebo responses when they have never experienced the pain)

Julie on 1/24/03 at 03:23 (106585)

Good on you, Peter. I think you realised I was chastising good-humouredly, didn't you?

Peter F on 1/24/03 at 12:01 (106632)

absolutely-the women on this site are there to make us behave ourselves and think in a rational way!

Julie on 1/24/03 at 14:19 (106645)

We aim to please!

:o)