Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

bunions

Posted by Roxie on 1/23/03 at 22:16 (106563)

I have been to a podiatrist with pain in my big toe. I have bunions and he has indicated that is the source of the pain. My question is...is it beneficial for me to bite the bullet and have bunion surgery or should I try othodics? I would like to repair the problem not pasify it. Roxie Tracy

Re: bunions

Dr. Z on 1/23/03 at 22:34 (106569)

The purpose of bunion surgery is rid yourself of foot pain due to not being able to wear most of your shoes. The type of bunion deformity and your activity level is very important when determing if orthosis will help. In most cases of bunion pain the orthosis won't help unles it is for sports and your feet rotate inward

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/24/03 at 08:01 (106600)

If the bunions are painful, surgical correction can be an excellent option. As Dr. Z stated, in some cases biomechanical control with orthoses may decrease abnormal motion that causes pain. However, there are no studies to prove that orthoses will prevent or decrease the rate of bunion formation, though in theory controlling abnormal motion should have a positive effect.

Julie on 1/24/03 at 08:54 (106604)

My first pair of orthotics, years ago, was prescribed to control abnormal motion that was causing bunion pain. They worked. I've never had trouble with my (rather advanced now) bunion since. This is just one person's experience, of course.

That pair of orthotics, which I always wore after that for years, didn't stop me getting PF, though.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/24/03 at 12:44 (106634)

I have seen bunion resolve in some cases of orthosis therapy. Glad your orthosis did the trick

S.A.J, DPM on 1/24/03 at 14:26 (106648)

I believe that Dr. Z means he's seen bunion discomfort resolve with orthotics, because the actual bunion/bony deformity certainly and definitely will not resolve with orthotics. It is a bony deformity that may be made comfortable with orthotics, but it is not possible for orthotics to make the bunion resolve.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/24/03 at 14:44 (106649)

Thanks. What I was referring to was Julie's post where she talks about the pain being resolved. As we all know foot surgery is the only procedure to remove the actual deformity

Mar on 1/25/03 at 07:10 (106712)

Roxie -

The key to deciding about surgery is the pain level. If the pain is so bad that you can't stand it, then go for the surgery. If the pain is an on and off thing, i would try to relieve it. I am speaking from experience. I had bunion surgery almost 2 years ago for pain that was annoying but livable. Now I have cronic pain and inflammation from the surgery, cannot put full weight on the area and developed PF in response to compensation. For me, it was the worst decision of my life. Weigh the options carefully and do a lot of research. Good luck with your decision. Mar

Dr. Z on 1/23/03 at 22:34 (106569)

The purpose of bunion surgery is rid yourself of foot pain due to not being able to wear most of your shoes. The type of bunion deformity and your activity level is very important when determing if orthosis will help. In most cases of bunion pain the orthosis won't help unles it is for sports and your feet rotate inward

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/24/03 at 08:01 (106600)

If the bunions are painful, surgical correction can be an excellent option. As Dr. Z stated, in some cases biomechanical control with orthoses may decrease abnormal motion that causes pain. However, there are no studies to prove that orthoses will prevent or decrease the rate of bunion formation, though in theory controlling abnormal motion should have a positive effect.

Julie on 1/24/03 at 08:54 (106604)

My first pair of orthotics, years ago, was prescribed to control abnormal motion that was causing bunion pain. They worked. I've never had trouble with my (rather advanced now) bunion since. This is just one person's experience, of course.

That pair of orthotics, which I always wore after that for years, didn't stop me getting PF, though.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/24/03 at 12:44 (106634)

I have seen bunion resolve in some cases of orthosis therapy. Glad your orthosis did the trick

S.A.J, DPM on 1/24/03 at 14:26 (106648)

I believe that Dr. Z means he's seen bunion discomfort resolve with orthotics, because the actual bunion/bony deformity certainly and definitely will not resolve with orthotics. It is a bony deformity that may be made comfortable with orthotics, but it is not possible for orthotics to make the bunion resolve.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/24/03 at 14:44 (106649)

Thanks. What I was referring to was Julie's post where she talks about the pain being resolved. As we all know foot surgery is the only procedure to remove the actual deformity

Mar on 1/25/03 at 07:10 (106712)

Roxie -

The key to deciding about surgery is the pain level. If the pain is so bad that you can't stand it, then go for the surgery. If the pain is an on and off thing, i would try to relieve it. I am speaking from experience. I had bunion surgery almost 2 years ago for pain that was annoying but livable. Now I have cronic pain and inflammation from the surgery, cannot put full weight on the area and developed PF in response to compensation. For me, it was the worst decision of my life. Weigh the options carefully and do a lot of research. Good luck with your decision. Mar