Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what is ruptures of the plantar fascia

Posted by georgette on 1/23/03 at 23:19 (106572)

In reading i have ran accross this term ruptured plantar fascia
what is it and what are the treatments?

Re: what is ruptures of the plantar fascia

Bob B on 1/24/03 at 11:01 (106627)

Georgette,
I am not an expert but I will share with you what I THINK I know about this. I was diagnosed as having a ruptured plantar fascia in my right foot last December. The plantar fascia is the membrane that exists between your heel and the ball of your foot. It is thin and unlike tendons, muscle and ligaments. It's purpose is to help support your arch. If you curl your toes up and resist this movement with one hand, you can use the other hand to feel this tissue go 'tight' under your arch. A rupture is a break or tearing of the tissue. I understand there is another similar ailment called a 'release' of the fascia. The symptoms would be the same. I can not feel the plantar fascia in my right foot as I described above. It seems to be 'gone'. I am told it can not be repaired. I am told it will 'settle down' and be less painful in the future. My therapy has been good shoes, orthotics, ice and rest, rest, rest. I hope this helps. Maybe you will get a post from an expert.
Bob B

john h on 1/25/03 at 11:40 (106747)

One of my Orthopedic Surgeons (a lady) is very much an athlete. She had PF. She explained to me how one day while perform some athletic event she completely tore the fascia loose from the heel. She said he did resolve her PF insantly and as of yet has suffered no effects from the event other than a long recovery. She still goes to South America to swim with the sharks and down the Amazon and other crazy things. It is not an uncommon inury in football. I am amazed that a Pro Football player can come back the next year and continue to play. It is more common among down lineman as they are pushing off with great force in an instant with their feet and most of them weigh in excess of 300lb. Another common way to tear the fascia is pushing a car. Somewhat like what a down lineman is doing.

Bob B on 1/25/03 at 12:55 (106754)

John H - You said she 'did resolve her pf instantly'. What do you mean by that. And when you say 'long recovery', how long was it?
Thanks - Bob B

john h on 1/26/03 at 15:25 (106878)

Bob as she did not go into detail I can only assume since her fascia was completely torn from her heel there was not more tension on it, no more inlfamation, and in the end no more PF pain. Sort of like a PF release only more traumatic. Since PF surgery actually does cure a lot of PF cases it would not be supprising that her PF pain went away.

Bob B on 1/26/03 at 15:59 (106889)

Thanks, John. All this info I am gathering is great. I can't say my surgeon gave me very much info. Bob

john h on 1/27/03 at 10:20 (106964)

I read about a number of ruptures in the NFL Bob. I even knew their names and in all cases the articles indicated the player would be back and ready to go in less than a year. Of course, we do not read about what long term effect these players may suffer some years later. My doctor who had the rupture was probably 10 years post injury and was just fine. I suspect all are required to wear orthotics for ever for support. I think the doctors can report on this but i believe in the early days of PF releases they did a complete release of the PF. I know one orthopedic surgeon I talked with just a couple of years ago still does a complete release of the PF. Most of our doctors will clearly tell you when they cut the PF they do it mostly by 'feel' and are not actually visually seeing the fascia so they cannot be precise in how much they release.

Bob B on 1/27/03 at 11:00 (106977)

John - I thought pf release was a CONDITION where the fascia released from the heel. You are saying it is a PROCEEDURE to release the fascia and I assume this is done because the fascia is too tight and causing pain? I don't think my pf is intact, that it is broken somewhere. So people have surgery to get to where I'm at?
Bob

Bob B on 1/24/03 at 11:01 (106627)

Georgette,
I am not an expert but I will share with you what I THINK I know about this. I was diagnosed as having a ruptured plantar fascia in my right foot last December. The plantar fascia is the membrane that exists between your heel and the ball of your foot. It is thin and unlike tendons, muscle and ligaments. It's purpose is to help support your arch. If you curl your toes up and resist this movement with one hand, you can use the other hand to feel this tissue go 'tight' under your arch. A rupture is a break or tearing of the tissue. I understand there is another similar ailment called a 'release' of the fascia. The symptoms would be the same. I can not feel the plantar fascia in my right foot as I described above. It seems to be 'gone'. I am told it can not be repaired. I am told it will 'settle down' and be less painful in the future. My therapy has been good shoes, orthotics, ice and rest, rest, rest. I hope this helps. Maybe you will get a post from an expert.
Bob B

john h on 1/25/03 at 11:40 (106747)

One of my Orthopedic Surgeons (a lady) is very much an athlete. She had PF. She explained to me how one day while perform some athletic event she completely tore the fascia loose from the heel. She said he did resolve her PF insantly and as of yet has suffered no effects from the event other than a long recovery. She still goes to South America to swim with the sharks and down the Amazon and other crazy things. It is not an uncommon inury in football. I am amazed that a Pro Football player can come back the next year and continue to play. It is more common among down lineman as they are pushing off with great force in an instant with their feet and most of them weigh in excess of 300lb. Another common way to tear the fascia is pushing a car. Somewhat like what a down lineman is doing.

Bob B on 1/25/03 at 12:55 (106754)

John H - You said she 'did resolve her pf instantly'. What do you mean by that. And when you say 'long recovery', how long was it?
Thanks - Bob B

john h on 1/26/03 at 15:25 (106878)

Bob as she did not go into detail I can only assume since her fascia was completely torn from her heel there was not more tension on it, no more inlfamation, and in the end no more PF pain. Sort of like a PF release only more traumatic. Since PF surgery actually does cure a lot of PF cases it would not be supprising that her PF pain went away.

Bob B on 1/26/03 at 15:59 (106889)

Thanks, John. All this info I am gathering is great. I can't say my surgeon gave me very much info. Bob

john h on 1/27/03 at 10:20 (106964)

I read about a number of ruptures in the NFL Bob. I even knew their names and in all cases the articles indicated the player would be back and ready to go in less than a year. Of course, we do not read about what long term effect these players may suffer some years later. My doctor who had the rupture was probably 10 years post injury and was just fine. I suspect all are required to wear orthotics for ever for support. I think the doctors can report on this but i believe in the early days of PF releases they did a complete release of the PF. I know one orthopedic surgeon I talked with just a couple of years ago still does a complete release of the PF. Most of our doctors will clearly tell you when they cut the PF they do it mostly by 'feel' and are not actually visually seeing the fascia so they cannot be precise in how much they release.

Bob B on 1/27/03 at 11:00 (106977)

John - I thought pf release was a CONDITION where the fascia released from the heel. You are saying it is a PROCEEDURE to release the fascia and I assume this is done because the fascia is too tight and causing pain? I don't think my pf is intact, that it is broken somewhere. So people have surgery to get to where I'm at?
Bob