Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cold affectIng PF

Posted by Sandra G. on 1/24/03 at 07:49 (106598)

I live in upstate New York and we have seen temperatures from 10 below to 10 above during this past week. My feet, which are extremely narrow and thin, are always cold. In addition, the cold weather seems to have caused a flare-up of the PF, and my arch is hurting. Does the cold or extreme weather affect PF or am I just imagining it?

Re: Cold affectIng PF

Kathy G on 1/24/03 at 08:47 (106602)

Hi Sandra,

It probably varies from person to person, but I definitely think my PF is worse when it's this cold. (I'm in NH.) John mentioned, on the Social Board, that he wonders if it's because we aren't able to do as much outdoors so our activity level is decreased. I wonder, too, if the fact that the cold temperatures just naturally makes our muscles contract, doesn't contribute to it. I've had a muscle spasm in my calf for the last week and I haven't had that in quite a while.

Hang in there! This can't last forever!

Julie on 1/24/03 at 08:51 (106603)

Cold will usually affect circulation to the extremities, and restricted blood flow to the area of the injured PF could certainly result in increased pain. If you use ice to control inflammation, you've probably noticed it hurts a lot, especially immediately afterwards.

john h on 1/24/03 at 09:49 (106614)

No question in my mind Kathy about the cold weather affecting my feet. I never have cold feet so that is not the problem. I do tend to wear Birks all summer (without socks) but when it gets down into the single digits I do not want to look like a lost fool from the 60's with my birks. I spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer but not in this frigid weather. Could be you just have more time to think about your feet when you are confined.

nancy s. on 1/24/03 at 15:09 (106653)

yes over here, too, on cold affecting the feet (or anything else that hurts with inflammation).

john, as i've told you time and again, if you'd just wear socks with your birks, you would not look like a fool from the sixties. as we fashion plates already know, socks with birks are cutting-edge, 21st century.

nancy

Kathy G on 1/24/03 at 15:51 (106663)

I just went over to my sister's house and I am frozen! She keeps her house way down below 70, which is where I keep mine. And my dumb shoulder, which is so much better, is killing me. It had to be the cold. Over the years, one bit of advice that every single doctor I ever saw for muscle/ligament problems has been to stay warm so it stands to reason that our feet would be worse when it's cold.

Oh, and Nancy and John, I cut a spiffy figure in my running shoes that I wear no matter the temperature or whatever else I happen to be wearing! We PFers have our own unique sense of style!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/24/03 at 19:16 (106689)

I think mature men in Thorlos with Birkenstocks on look really sexy. But then, if John only wants Mary to see him looking sexy, he could just wear them at home when the two of them are alone. :)

Carole C

Barb C on 1/24/03 at 19:34 (106690)

Hi everyone,
In case you have'nt read my prior posts - I am 3 and 6 months post op (open release for PF). I have been virtually pain free since the 2 month mark on each foot. However, Wednesday I spent the majority of the day in new construction houses prior to insulation, sheetrock etc. It was about 10 below here in Minnesota..so pretty darn cold. That night my feet really REALLY ached. It scared the heck out of me. That night I kept my rear on the couch, took 3 Advil and wore my bloody night splints to bed. By morning I was just fine. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure that the cold is what made them 'flare up'. You can be sure I will wear about 14 pair of socks under my Sorrels from now on!

Mar on 1/25/03 at 07:21 (106716)

I too have thin feet and I notice in summer when it is hot, the feet swell a little which cushions them and there is less pain. So, yes, cold makes the pain worse for me too. When I come out of the hot tub, the feet are swollen and there is no pain for about an hour!! Mar

john h on 1/25/03 at 11:19 (106740)

Mature men in Thorlos with Birkenstocks! ouch! has it all come down to this? Once a proud fighter pilot, runner, basketball player and now I am reduuced to a mature man in Thorlos and Birkenstocks. I guess to really look the sexy part my bermuda shorts should be wll below my knees. My image has gone to pot. Where is the xnax?.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 11:28 (106743)

John, John... anybody buck-toothed yahoo can run around in low quality shoes and look young and goofy.

A mature man in Thorlos with Birkenstocks, looks wise and sexy and probably does macho things like climb on his roof now and then too. The Birkenstocks make him look like he's resting his feet for the next 10K run of the day, or shooting fifty baskets in a row.

Carole C

john h on 1/25/03 at 11:30 (106744)

Kathy I hang out in Barnes and Noble because it seems all the would be 60's crowd is there in their birk sandals regardless of the weather. In my town Barnes & Noble is like being on a college campus. Lots of young folks in college seem to do all their studying there. Everyone sitting around with laptops and lattes. I happened to graduate from college when I was 35 at the U.of Nebraska. The Air Force gave me a year off and what a deal to go back to college with money,a car and sense enough to use your time wisely. I could barely get C's my first two years and all I could get was A's the last two years. Did not even require that much work. Just go to class all the time and do a reasonable amount of studing. Watching all the young kids drinking, going crazy, partying and studing ever once in a while made me realize why I was such a goof off the first time around. I must admit it was fun in both eras..

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 11:30 (106745)

Well, that was not phrased quite right! I didn't mean that YOU are a buck-toothed yahoo, but simply that they exist and wear low quality shoes.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 11:33 (106746)

John, the Barnes and Noble is kind of a pick-up place here in Metairie. All those people who look like they are studying with their laptops and lattes, are just studying the opposite sex. The young men are wearing their Birks and trying to act mature because it drives the girls wild.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 16:54 (106772)

it's sad, isn't it, john? reduced to thorlos and birks. still, i think you could look sexy in them as long as you leave the bermuda shorts at home, i don't care how long they are!

i have no xanax for you, but i do have the next strongest med! how many do you need? (i can only spare half of one pill; otherwise i'd have a panic attack, and you DON'T want to see that, on the message board or anywhere else!)

nancy

Kathy G on 1/24/03 at 08:47 (106602)

Hi Sandra,

It probably varies from person to person, but I definitely think my PF is worse when it's this cold. (I'm in NH.) John mentioned, on the Social Board, that he wonders if it's because we aren't able to do as much outdoors so our activity level is decreased. I wonder, too, if the fact that the cold temperatures just naturally makes our muscles contract, doesn't contribute to it. I've had a muscle spasm in my calf for the last week and I haven't had that in quite a while.

Hang in there! This can't last forever!

Julie on 1/24/03 at 08:51 (106603)

Cold will usually affect circulation to the extremities, and restricted blood flow to the area of the injured PF could certainly result in increased pain. If you use ice to control inflammation, you've probably noticed it hurts a lot, especially immediately afterwards.

john h on 1/24/03 at 09:49 (106614)

No question in my mind Kathy about the cold weather affecting my feet. I never have cold feet so that is not the problem. I do tend to wear Birks all summer (without socks) but when it gets down into the single digits I do not want to look like a lost fool from the 60's with my birks. I spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer but not in this frigid weather. Could be you just have more time to think about your feet when you are confined.

nancy s. on 1/24/03 at 15:09 (106653)

yes over here, too, on cold affecting the feet (or anything else that hurts with inflammation).

john, as i've told you time and again, if you'd just wear socks with your birks, you would not look like a fool from the sixties. as we fashion plates already know, socks with birks are cutting-edge, 21st century.

nancy

Kathy G on 1/24/03 at 15:51 (106663)

I just went over to my sister's house and I am frozen! She keeps her house way down below 70, which is where I keep mine. And my dumb shoulder, which is so much better, is killing me. It had to be the cold. Over the years, one bit of advice that every single doctor I ever saw for muscle/ligament problems has been to stay warm so it stands to reason that our feet would be worse when it's cold.

Oh, and Nancy and John, I cut a spiffy figure in my running shoes that I wear no matter the temperature or whatever else I happen to be wearing! We PFers have our own unique sense of style!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/24/03 at 19:16 (106689)

I think mature men in Thorlos with Birkenstocks on look really sexy. But then, if John only wants Mary to see him looking sexy, he could just wear them at home when the two of them are alone. :)

Carole C

Barb C on 1/24/03 at 19:34 (106690)

Hi everyone,
In case you have'nt read my prior posts - I am 3 and 6 months post op (open release for PF). I have been virtually pain free since the 2 month mark on each foot. However, Wednesday I spent the majority of the day in new construction houses prior to insulation, sheetrock etc. It was about 10 below here in Minnesota..so pretty darn cold. That night my feet really REALLY ached. It scared the heck out of me. That night I kept my rear on the couch, took 3 Advil and wore my bloody night splints to bed. By morning I was just fine. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure that the cold is what made them 'flare up'. You can be sure I will wear about 14 pair of socks under my Sorrels from now on!

Mar on 1/25/03 at 07:21 (106716)

I too have thin feet and I notice in summer when it is hot, the feet swell a little which cushions them and there is less pain. So, yes, cold makes the pain worse for me too. When I come out of the hot tub, the feet are swollen and there is no pain for about an hour!! Mar

john h on 1/25/03 at 11:19 (106740)

Mature men in Thorlos with Birkenstocks! ouch! has it all come down to this? Once a proud fighter pilot, runner, basketball player and now I am reduuced to a mature man in Thorlos and Birkenstocks. I guess to really look the sexy part my bermuda shorts should be wll below my knees. My image has gone to pot. Where is the xnax?.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 11:28 (106743)

John, John... anybody buck-toothed yahoo can run around in low quality shoes and look young and goofy.

A mature man in Thorlos with Birkenstocks, looks wise and sexy and probably does macho things like climb on his roof now and then too. The Birkenstocks make him look like he's resting his feet for the next 10K run of the day, or shooting fifty baskets in a row.

Carole C

john h on 1/25/03 at 11:30 (106744)

Kathy I hang out in Barnes and Noble because it seems all the would be 60's crowd is there in their birk sandals regardless of the weather. In my town Barnes & Noble is like being on a college campus. Lots of young folks in college seem to do all their studying there. Everyone sitting around with laptops and lattes. I happened to graduate from college when I was 35 at the U.of Nebraska. The Air Force gave me a year off and what a deal to go back to college with money,a car and sense enough to use your time wisely. I could barely get C's my first two years and all I could get was A's the last two years. Did not even require that much work. Just go to class all the time and do a reasonable amount of studing. Watching all the young kids drinking, going crazy, partying and studing ever once in a while made me realize why I was such a goof off the first time around. I must admit it was fun in both eras..

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 11:30 (106745)

Well, that was not phrased quite right! I didn't mean that YOU are a buck-toothed yahoo, but simply that they exist and wear low quality shoes.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 11:33 (106746)

John, the Barnes and Noble is kind of a pick-up place here in Metairie. All those people who look like they are studying with their laptops and lattes, are just studying the opposite sex. The young men are wearing their Birks and trying to act mature because it drives the girls wild.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 16:54 (106772)

it's sad, isn't it, john? reduced to thorlos and birks. still, i think you could look sexy in them as long as you leave the bermuda shorts at home, i don't care how long they are!

i have no xanax for you, but i do have the next strongest med! how many do you need? (i can only spare half of one pill; otherwise i'd have a panic attack, and you DON'T want to see that, on the message board or anywhere else!)

nancy