Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stabbing pains

Posted by Terry Z on 1/24/03 at 09:16 (106609)

What has anyone found to help stabbing pains in the arch? I woke up with them at 4:30AM and they just won't stop.
Terry

Re: Stabbing pains

Sharon W on 1/24/03 at 18:59 (106685)

SLEEP is incredibly important. Explain this problem to your Dr. and ask him/her to prescribe something to help you sleep. (Ambien works very well.) Not getting enough sleep, night after night, makes ANY health problem worse because your body depends on that rest for healing.

For the stabbing pains themselves, Ultram works pretty well as a rescue or 'breakthrough' medication for nerve pain.

You may also need to take Neurontin, or increase it if you are already taking it. Some people take Elavil, which not only helps with nerve pain, it also helps you sleep.

Sharon

Terry Z on 1/24/03 at 19:53 (106691)

I'm already on 1800 Neurontin which the doctor just doubled and I'm on Elavil which is amitriptyline (I think). Nifedipine was for the nerve pain which has helped but these stabbing pains,....I could of pulled my hair out earlier today and Percocet. It's calmed down for the moment and it's funny you mentioned that about sleep. I was at the pain management doctor yesterday and told him I wasn't sleeping very well but he didn't want to increase the amitriptyline because I'm on crutches. I had a hard time getting used to this drug in the beginning so I had to start 5mgs at a time. He was afraid I'd get dizzy and fall. I called him back today and he said the pain was normal and I should use heat and if isn't better by next week I should come in and see him. I have never called a doctor for pain since this has happened to me (I probably should of)but I just couldn't stand it any longer. I was wondering if anyone here has takin Nifedipine for TTS.

Sharon, I was wondering being that you seem to know your way around this site if there was a way to read whats posted in the post the doctor section. I thought it would be full a information and I wouldn't have to ask people stuff that's been asked fifty times already. Besides it would be plain interesting. Thanks for responding.
Terry

Re: Doctors' board

Sharon W on 1/24/03 at 23:16 (106707)

I'm not quite clear on whether you just want to read old posts from the doctors' board, or whether you wanted to SEARCH only the doctors' board.

To read old posts, just go down to the bottom of the page and click for the next set of messages. Keep on doing that until you find what you want.

To do a search of ONLY the doctors' board, I have no idea how to go about that. You might try posting on the 'Heelspurs' board and ask ScottR. In fact, IF I just did it right, he should get a copy of this message.

Sharon

Re: searching specific boards

Scott R on 1/24/03 at 23:35 (106708)

To search a specific board, type the phrase you wish to search and then follow it with the following: '(search phrase).+(board code)-'
For example listed below are the ways to search on 'plantar' in some of the specific boards. Dr Z has the honor of the doctor's board code being named after him because i needed to make a doctors board when he start answering so many questions.

Add a minus sign '-' to the end of each of the following. A minus sign isn't added below because it would play havoch with how this message gets displayed.
plantar.+drz (ask the doctor's)
plantar.+ss (social support)
plantar.+ts (treatments, symptoms, products)
plantar.+eswt (ESWT)
plantar.+surg (surgergy)
plantar.+tts (tarsal tunnel syndrome)

Terry Z on 1/25/03 at 07:28 (106718)

Thanks Scott this actually worked. I must say this is one of the nicest group of people and this site is so full of information. I want to thank Sharon for getting this message to you. The small things in life can sure make a person happy when their sunk in a wheelchair recovering.
Terry

Dr. Z on 1/25/03 at 09:16 (106727)

Did I hear my name. Anyone have any doctor questions. Thanks Scott. For some reason I am touched by that honor. I am serious. Thank you

Terry Z on 1/25/03 at 12:21 (106753)

Well Dr. Z seeing that you asked, I do have two questions that you could possibly answer. I had TTS three weeks ago and my foot turns red every time I keep it down, is that normal just because I of surgery? I'm taking Nifedipine and I was wondering if that's odd, I haven't seen anyone who has posted using this drug?
Terry

Dr. Z on 1/25/03 at 12:59 (106755)

Hello,

Keeping the foot down will increase blood flow to the entire lower extremity. It is called the dependant position. You need to be wearing support stockings to control the edema. Resting the foot in an elevated position a few times a day is helpful. I am not sure about Nifedipine. I looked it up. Not in my home prd. So why are you using this medication.?
So long as there isn't severe pain in the calf muscle, or redness all the time then your don't have an infection , DVT . Sounds like normal post TTS surgery I do want to know why the nifedipine is being used

Terry Z on 1/25/03 at 15:30 (106763)

The surgeon said nifedipine would help with the nerve pain, I call them shockers or electric shock pain. I'm sure you know the correct term. I'm a little paranoid about the red plotchy color because I had a problem with RSD which my PM thought resolved. Being that I had TTS and arthroscopy on the other three sides of my ankle I figure it's just recovering. I was at the PM this week and it was red he just said your foot is really pissed off today isn't it, the day before I got my stitches out and it looked worse. He told me to cross my fingers and come back in a month.
Terry

Sharon W on 1/24/03 at 18:59 (106685)

SLEEP is incredibly important. Explain this problem to your Dr. and ask him/her to prescribe something to help you sleep. (Ambien works very well.) Not getting enough sleep, night after night, makes ANY health problem worse because your body depends on that rest for healing.

For the stabbing pains themselves, Ultram works pretty well as a rescue or 'breakthrough' medication for nerve pain.

You may also need to take Neurontin, or increase it if you are already taking it. Some people take Elavil, which not only helps with nerve pain, it also helps you sleep.

Sharon

Terry Z on 1/24/03 at 19:53 (106691)

I'm already on 1800 Neurontin which the doctor just doubled and I'm on Elavil which is amitriptyline (I think). Nifedipine was for the nerve pain which has helped but these stabbing pains,....I could of pulled my hair out earlier today and Percocet. It's calmed down for the moment and it's funny you mentioned that about sleep. I was at the pain management doctor yesterday and told him I wasn't sleeping very well but he didn't want to increase the amitriptyline because I'm on crutches. I had a hard time getting used to this drug in the beginning so I had to start 5mgs at a time. He was afraid I'd get dizzy and fall. I called him back today and he said the pain was normal and I should use heat and if isn't better by next week I should come in and see him. I have never called a doctor for pain since this has happened to me (I probably should of)but I just couldn't stand it any longer. I was wondering if anyone here has takin Nifedipine for TTS.

Sharon, I was wondering being that you seem to know your way around this site if there was a way to read whats posted in the post the doctor section. I thought it would be full a information and I wouldn't have to ask people stuff that's been asked fifty times already. Besides it would be plain interesting. Thanks for responding.
Terry

Re: Doctors' board

Sharon W on 1/24/03 at 23:16 (106707)

I'm not quite clear on whether you just want to read old posts from the doctors' board, or whether you wanted to SEARCH only the doctors' board.

To read old posts, just go down to the bottom of the page and click for the next set of messages. Keep on doing that until you find what you want.

To do a search of ONLY the doctors' board, I have no idea how to go about that. You might try posting on the 'Heelspurs' board and ask ScottR. In fact, IF I just did it right, he should get a copy of this message.

Sharon

Scott R on 1/24/03 at 23:35 (106708)

To search a specific board, type the phrase you wish to search and then follow it with the following: '(search phrase).+(board code)-'
For example listed below are the ways to search on 'plantar' in some of the specific boards. Dr Z has the honor of the doctor's board code being named after him because i needed to make a doctors board when he start answering so many questions.

Add a minus sign '-' to the end of each of the following. A minus sign isn't added below because it would play havoch with how this message gets displayed.
plantar.+drz (ask the doctor's)
plantar.+ss (social support)
plantar.+ts (treatments, symptoms, products)
plantar.+eswt (ESWT)
plantar.+surg (surgergy)
plantar.+tts (tarsal tunnel syndrome)

Terry Z on 1/25/03 at 07:28 (106718)

Thanks Scott this actually worked. I must say this is one of the nicest group of people and this site is so full of information. I want to thank Sharon for getting this message to you. The small things in life can sure make a person happy when their sunk in a wheelchair recovering.
Terry

Dr. Z on 1/25/03 at 09:16 (106727)

Did I hear my name. Anyone have any doctor questions. Thanks Scott. For some reason I am touched by that honor. I am serious. Thank you

Terry Z on 1/25/03 at 12:21 (106753)

Well Dr. Z seeing that you asked, I do have two questions that you could possibly answer. I had TTS three weeks ago and my foot turns red every time I keep it down, is that normal just because I of surgery? I'm taking Nifedipine and I was wondering if that's odd, I haven't seen anyone who has posted using this drug?
Terry

Dr. Z on 1/25/03 at 12:59 (106755)

Hello,

Keeping the foot down will increase blood flow to the entire lower extremity. It is called the dependant position. You need to be wearing support stockings to control the edema. Resting the foot in an elevated position a few times a day is helpful. I am not sure about Nifedipine. I looked it up. Not in my home prd. So why are you using this medication.?
So long as there isn't severe pain in the calf muscle, or redness all the time then your don't have an infection , DVT . Sounds like normal post TTS surgery I do want to know why the nifedipine is being used

Terry Z on 1/25/03 at 15:30 (106763)

The surgeon said nifedipine would help with the nerve pain, I call them shockers or electric shock pain. I'm sure you know the correct term. I'm a little paranoid about the red plotchy color because I had a problem with RSD which my PM thought resolved. Being that I had TTS and arthroscopy on the other three sides of my ankle I figure it's just recovering. I was at the PM this week and it was red he just said your foot is really pissed off today isn't it, the day before I got my stitches out and it looked worse. He told me to cross my fingers and come back in a month.
Terry