Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Arch, ankle and other pain

Posted by Becky R on 1/24/03 at 10:54 (106626)

I am a 47-year-old woman who needs to lose some weight (5'5', 180 pounds). I walk frequently and briskly for exercise, and wear New Balance 841 walking shoes. Recently I have developed pain in the arch of my right foot, along with pain just below the ankle bone on the outside of my right foot, and pain in the general vicinity of the area below my 4th and 5th toes. I have also had right knee pain for years. Some points to note: My walking shoes have a lot of miles on them, and I replaced the insoles with over-the-counter 'Triad' arch supports, which made a huge difference in my knee pain, but now I'm wondering if they have caused this new pain. I should also mention that I am a diabetic (I have no foot ulcers, but injuries to my feet and legs do seem to take a long time to heal). Can you give me an idea of what kind of problem I'm dealing with here? Do I need new walking shoes? Custom orthotics? Different over-the-counter orthotics? Thank you.

Re: Arch, ankle and other pain

Becky R on 1/24/03 at 11:07 (106628)

Me again...I should add that the pain I mentioned behind my toes is actually more toward the outside of the top of the foot, and runs along the outside of the foot back to the area of pain below the ankle bone. All of this only happens with weight-bearing.

carmen h on 1/27/03 at 09:25 (106953)

Probably Plantar Fasciitis.....replace the actual SHOES not the inserts and see a podiatrist.
good luck and keep us posted.

Becky R on 1/24/03 at 11:07 (106628)

Me again...I should add that the pain I mentioned behind my toes is actually more toward the outside of the top of the foot, and runs along the outside of the foot back to the area of pain below the ankle bone. All of this only happens with weight-bearing.

carmen h on 1/27/03 at 09:25 (106953)

Probably Plantar Fasciitis.....replace the actual SHOES not the inserts and see a podiatrist.
good luck and keep us posted.