Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post surgery question is this normal?

Posted by lauriel on 1/24/03 at 11:56 (106631)

on on day 49 post surgery - in my 2nd week of therapy. I feel like I have gone backwards in healing. I have been able to walk around the house for the last week until Tuesday without a crutch. after therapy Wednesday I got home and it felt like someone had put a wedge in my shoe between my heel and arch. and my big toe was numb. the stangest feeling! well I have mild tingling in my foot and cant walk without my crutch now because I get the stabbing electrical pain again in my ankle when I put pressure on my foot, I was having this occasionally when I first started walking and my Dr said that will be normal because of the swelling putting pressure on the nerve. It feels like the more the swelling goes down, the worse the symptons get. I also wore shoes on Monday that made my foot ache tremndously, and since then the area of incision is very sore.

My PT does light massage, electric stim, ultrasound and ice and a few resistive excercises with bands (I go 3 times a week)

So my question is: Did wearing the shoes cause this, physical therapy, or combo or is this just the normal healing process? My next Dr visit isnt until the first week of Feb.
Laurie

Re: post surgery question is this normal?

Sharon W on 1/24/03 at 13:31 (106640)

Laurie,

That's something you do need to ask your doctor.

I don't remember feeling anything quite like that. I DO remember feeling like the area around my incision was 'stuck together,' as if there were a rubber band stretched almost to the breaking point strung between the inside of my heel (just beneath the tarsal tunnel) and my arch. I went to my pod and complained of this, and she injected steroids and ordered therapeutic ultrasound because she said it could be the start of a scar tissue problem next to the nerve. That, plus regularly doing the range of motion ankle exercises I'd learned at physical therapy, seemed to take care of the problem quite nicely, and at this point it pretty much seems to have gone away. But IF THIS scar tissue thing IS NOT TREATED PROMPTLY, it can get worse and cause you to have all those terrible symptoms of TTS again, including those shooting and stabbing and radiating and zapping pains that people with TTS usually hate most!

At that time I noticed that the shooting/stabbing electrical pains had suddenly gotten WORSE again, after having almost disappeared a few weeks after surgery. I think that is probably a bad sign, and somthing it might be worth calling your doctor's office about to let them know you may be having a problem.

Just my opinion, of course; you know that I am not a doctor.

Sharon

lauriel on 1/24/03 at 14:16 (106644)

Sharon, I just noticed the swelling is a lot worse right over the ankle bone which concerns me. THis could be what is causing it. I dont know why it would flare up like that. At first I thoughtit was just more pronounced since the other areas have gone down the down, around the area, but has actually increased right over the ankle bone. I will call the Dr on Monday to move my appt up. Are have read some scary things about scar tissue, so hopefully I can do whatever I can to prevent this
Thanks
Laurie

Sharon W on 1/24/03 at 13:31 (106640)

Laurie,

That's something you do need to ask your doctor.

I don't remember feeling anything quite like that. I DO remember feeling like the area around my incision was 'stuck together,' as if there were a rubber band stretched almost to the breaking point strung between the inside of my heel (just beneath the tarsal tunnel) and my arch. I went to my pod and complained of this, and she injected steroids and ordered therapeutic ultrasound because she said it could be the start of a scar tissue problem next to the nerve. That, plus regularly doing the range of motion ankle exercises I'd learned at physical therapy, seemed to take care of the problem quite nicely, and at this point it pretty much seems to have gone away. But IF THIS scar tissue thing IS NOT TREATED PROMPTLY, it can get worse and cause you to have all those terrible symptoms of TTS again, including those shooting and stabbing and radiating and zapping pains that people with TTS usually hate most!

At that time I noticed that the shooting/stabbing electrical pains had suddenly gotten WORSE again, after having almost disappeared a few weeks after surgery. I think that is probably a bad sign, and somthing it might be worth calling your doctor's office about to let them know you may be having a problem.

Just my opinion, of course; you know that I am not a doctor.

Sharon

lauriel on 1/24/03 at 14:16 (106644)

Sharon, I just noticed the swelling is a lot worse right over the ankle bone which concerns me. THis could be what is causing it. I dont know why it would flare up like that. At first I thoughtit was just more pronounced since the other areas have gone down the down, around the area, but has actually increased right over the ankle bone. I will call the Dr on Monday to move my appt up. Are have read some scary things about scar tissue, so hopefully I can do whatever I can to prevent this
Thanks
Laurie