Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For Carmen H...

Posted by Suzanne D on 1/24/03 at 15:19 (106656)

Hi, Carmen! I got behind on some post reading a few days ago and just now read one from you in which you stated, 'AND as a physical 'blah' remedy..when you do something 'good' your body excretes a certain chemical that actually helps relieve pain.' That's so true, and I wanted to thank you for pointing that out.

Also, I realized I never responded to your post in which you said you had been named President, I believe, of the Humane Society. Congratulations! I know you are doing much good in your area there in Tennessee.

Are you in the midst of a deep freeze as we are in KY? It seems strange to think of gettting up in the teens as an improvement in temperature!

Take care, and glad you are getting along well!
Suzanne :-)

Re: For Carmen H... and Suzanne , Richard and all you are in a deep freeze in the South

Kathy G on 1/24/03 at 16:10 (106665)

It's much easier in New England to tolerate the cold and snow. After all, although this cold snap has lasted a long time. it's not unheard of. We live in the North, for heaven's sake. We have the furnaces, insulation, windows, clothes and road equipment to treat and endure these weather conditions. You folks don't. Not to mention how much colder you must feel since your bodies just aren't accustomed to the kind of cold you've been experiencing.

I hope it warms up for you all soon.

Oh, and Carmen, congratulations on being made president. I admire your dedication and kindness!

Re: For Carmen H... and Suzanne , Richard and all you are in a deep freeze in the South

Kathy G on 1/24/03 at 16:12 (106667)

Okay, as you might have guessed, I didn't mean we treat road equipment. We have road equipment to treat the roads. Yes, the cold is to blame for my sluggish brain. Has to be the cold, right?

Suzanne D on 1/24/03 at 21:10 (106695)

Thanks, Kathy! I thought to myself today, 'Now when have I ever been happy to think of the temperature WARMING UP to the TEENS?!' Everything's relative, isn't it?!

So far, we've gone to school 11 days since Christmas break and missed 4 for snow. However, I sort of count these days we've missed as my 'break' since I spent so much of Christmas vacation setting up my classroom in the new school.

You're right: we're definitely not used to this extreme cold or much snow. Makes us realize just how 'tough' you northerners are! :-)

We'll have to remember these days when summer comes with high temperatures and humidity!

Take care,

Kathy G on 1/25/03 at 09:35 (106729)

We northerners aren't tough, Suzanne. We melt when the humidity and temperature reaches the level to which you folks are accustomed. I just think it's easier for us to cool down than it is for you to heat up!

Will your school have to make up the snow days? We have several built right into our school calendar so that unless we get over five, we still get out of school on a reasonable date. A few years, we've gone until the end of June and it made for a short summer!

Suzanne D on 1/26/03 at 16:49 (106900)

Yes, Kathy, we have to make up every missed day. We have missed 7 to date. We had two weeks of spring break scheduled, and one of those weeks will make up the first 5 days missed. The next two will be made up on May 30 and June 2. Any more will be added to the end.

Twenty-five years ago (gosh that makes me sound old!) when I did my student teaching, we missed so many that school was in session a few Saturdays. But there are many years in which we have only missed 2 or 3. There have been some times when ten minutes or so were added to each day for a month to make up days a few minutes at a time. That seemed sort of silly as everyone knows you don't learn more by staying at school for ten extra minutes, but we got the required time in.

Re: Suzanne

Kathy G on 1/27/03 at 09:10 (106948)

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, for the last couple of years, the local school boards have allowed Seniors to go to school on Saturdays so that they could graduate on their scheduled date. Our seniors always graduate a couple of weeks before the regular school year ends. It's very important to them so a couple of years ago, when we had several snow days, a nearby town petititoned the School Board to allow their seniors to go to school on Saturday and they allowed them to do so. Since then a few more towns have done it. But it's only the seniors; the rest of them have to go for the required number of days.

You're right. No one learns anything if you stay for an extra ten minutes to make up the time. By the same token, I don't think our kids learn anything when they're going to school in late June when the temperatures are 90 degrees. Our schools are not set up for hot weather conditions and they become like an oven when it gets that hot. I really wish they'd do away with our February vacation and let school end a week sooner.

Re: one word....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

carmen h on 1/27/03 at 09:18 (106951)

Hello!!!! Suzanne awile ago i had posted that I needed your email again...I had my comptuer rebuilt and didn't get the email addresses backed up. Will you send me an email?
Yes...it is sooo darn cold I can't get my doxies to go outside and use the bathroom unless they are wearing their sweaters!!!!I am staying so busy I can't even think straight....
Thank you for the congratulations....and the nice comments by you and kathy...it truly makes a difference in my life that I am making things better for these animals.
My pain is nothing compared to theirs.
I actually have been doing really well...very little pain if any lately.
The SDO's are still in my shoes and woerking well. I know if I hadn't given them the chance to work though I would have given up and still been in pain. Everything takes time.
:o)

Re: Kathy...

Suzanne D on 1/27/03 at 15:15 (107028)

Hi, Kathy! Yes, you are right: it's really hard to learn in 90+ temperatures. The first 8 years I taught, there was no air-conditioning in our building or any of those in neighboring counties. We had fans which mostly succeeded in just blowing around the hot air. Ours was an old two-story structure made of brick, and I taught upstairs. Needless to say, it could get extremely HOT - especially when we had to shut all the windows every afternoon before we went home. It never had a chance to cool down. I used to keep a little thermometer on my desk given to us by a bank but put it away one day when it read 95. It just made me hotter to look at it!

One year when we had many days of 100+ temperatures in a row, our school opening in August was actually delayed a few days. I remember going back to school to find that all the 'sticky stuff' which I had used to put up my posters on the wall had melted and run down the wall with the posters on the floor.

Those were the days when ladies didn't wear sandals with no hose and longer skirts and jumpers like are often worn today. We wore dresses with hose and dressy shoes and about melted! Today's styles are much easier to work in.

But then I remember my mother's stories of her beginning teaching days in a little two-room schoolhouse. There were outdoor toilets and she and the other teacher had to arrive early enough in the winter to build a fire. So I guess we all have something to tell our children about!

Children are amazingly resiliant given patience and care, and most seem to learn in spite of the conditions. I always think of Abraham Lincoln who taught himself most of what he knew by reading on his own. (I guess he's on my mind because it's almost February, and we always study about him as he was born about 15 miles from here.) That's good because it seems we can't ever find a workable calendar which appeals to everyone. Around here, we can really see a drop in attention once the children begin playing ball in the spring. They have might practices and games and often come to school tired and sleepy.

Well, this has gone on long enough! Sometimes I don't know when to stop!

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 19:05 (107058)

glad to hear your doxies have sweaters, carmen. my neighbor mary, with a yorkie named roscoe, brings him into my store every saturday. roscoe is the cutest thing going. he's almost sharper than people; probably is. i have a supply of dog biscuits under my counter; he gets l, 2, or 3, depending on how long mary talks.

i always sell more antiques when roscoe is in the store because people fall in love with him immediately.

in the summer, mary walks him to the beach twice a day, and he always has a miniature frisbee or soccer ball in his mouth. you'd have to be hercules to get it away from him, even though he pretends he wants you to try.

in the winter (like NOW!), he wears a sweater on cold days. on very cold days, he wears his sweater plus a down jacket velcroed around his little body. at christmas, he visited my shop completely done up in a santa claus suit, including the big black belt around his middle. he made me hysterical.

my sister rescues cats like you do dogs. over the past ten years she has been out thousands of dollars (with no complaint), feeding and tending feral cat colonies every single night. she also traps them in cages and has them neutered and given shots. she can tell the ones who want a human in their life and want a home, and she finds them a home. the others she returns to their colonies and continues to care for them daily.

she does all this after her very long workdays as a nurse in home care and elderly assisted-living facilities. in many ways her work with the cats is a thankless job, but it's well worth it to her and she wouldn't consider stopping.

i'm very grateful for people like you and her, and you have my utmost admiration!

nancy

Kathy G on 1/24/03 at 16:10 (106665)

It's much easier in New England to tolerate the cold and snow. After all, although this cold snap has lasted a long time. it's not unheard of. We live in the North, for heaven's sake. We have the furnaces, insulation, windows, clothes and road equipment to treat and endure these weather conditions. You folks don't. Not to mention how much colder you must feel since your bodies just aren't accustomed to the kind of cold you've been experiencing.

I hope it warms up for you all soon.

Oh, and Carmen, congratulations on being made president. I admire your dedication and kindness!

Kathy G on 1/24/03 at 16:12 (106667)

Okay, as you might have guessed, I didn't mean we treat road equipment. We have road equipment to treat the roads. Yes, the cold is to blame for my sluggish brain. Has to be the cold, right?

Suzanne D on 1/24/03 at 21:10 (106695)

Thanks, Kathy! I thought to myself today, 'Now when have I ever been happy to think of the temperature WARMING UP to the TEENS?!' Everything's relative, isn't it?!

So far, we've gone to school 11 days since Christmas break and missed 4 for snow. However, I sort of count these days we've missed as my 'break' since I spent so much of Christmas vacation setting up my classroom in the new school.

You're right: we're definitely not used to this extreme cold or much snow. Makes us realize just how 'tough' you northerners are! :-)

We'll have to remember these days when summer comes with high temperatures and humidity!

Take care,

Kathy G on 1/25/03 at 09:35 (106729)

We northerners aren't tough, Suzanne. We melt when the humidity and temperature reaches the level to which you folks are accustomed. I just think it's easier for us to cool down than it is for you to heat up!

Will your school have to make up the snow days? We have several built right into our school calendar so that unless we get over five, we still get out of school on a reasonable date. A few years, we've gone until the end of June and it made for a short summer!

Suzanne D on 1/26/03 at 16:49 (106900)

Yes, Kathy, we have to make up every missed day. We have missed 7 to date. We had two weeks of spring break scheduled, and one of those weeks will make up the first 5 days missed. The next two will be made up on May 30 and June 2. Any more will be added to the end.

Twenty-five years ago (gosh that makes me sound old!) when I did my student teaching, we missed so many that school was in session a few Saturdays. But there are many years in which we have only missed 2 or 3. There have been some times when ten minutes or so were added to each day for a month to make up days a few minutes at a time. That seemed sort of silly as everyone knows you don't learn more by staying at school for ten extra minutes, but we got the required time in.

Re: Suzanne

Kathy G on 1/27/03 at 09:10 (106948)

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, for the last couple of years, the local school boards have allowed Seniors to go to school on Saturdays so that they could graduate on their scheduled date. Our seniors always graduate a couple of weeks before the regular school year ends. It's very important to them so a couple of years ago, when we had several snow days, a nearby town petititoned the School Board to allow their seniors to go to school on Saturday and they allowed them to do so. Since then a few more towns have done it. But it's only the seniors; the rest of them have to go for the required number of days.

You're right. No one learns anything if you stay for an extra ten minutes to make up the time. By the same token, I don't think our kids learn anything when they're going to school in late June when the temperatures are 90 degrees. Our schools are not set up for hot weather conditions and they become like an oven when it gets that hot. I really wish they'd do away with our February vacation and let school end a week sooner.

carmen h on 1/27/03 at 09:18 (106951)

Hello!!!! Suzanne awile ago i had posted that I needed your email again...I had my comptuer rebuilt and didn't get the email addresses backed up. Will you send me an email?
Yes...it is sooo darn cold I can't get my doxies to go outside and use the bathroom unless they are wearing their sweaters!!!!I am staying so busy I can't even think straight....
Thank you for the congratulations....and the nice comments by you and kathy...it truly makes a difference in my life that I am making things better for these animals.
My pain is nothing compared to theirs.
I actually have been doing really well...very little pain if any lately.
The SDO's are still in my shoes and woerking well. I know if I hadn't given them the chance to work though I would have given up and still been in pain. Everything takes time.
:o)

Re: Kathy...

Suzanne D on 1/27/03 at 15:15 (107028)

Hi, Kathy! Yes, you are right: it's really hard to learn in 90+ temperatures. The first 8 years I taught, there was no air-conditioning in our building or any of those in neighboring counties. We had fans which mostly succeeded in just blowing around the hot air. Ours was an old two-story structure made of brick, and I taught upstairs. Needless to say, it could get extremely HOT - especially when we had to shut all the windows every afternoon before we went home. It never had a chance to cool down. I used to keep a little thermometer on my desk given to us by a bank but put it away one day when it read 95. It just made me hotter to look at it!

One year when we had many days of 100+ temperatures in a row, our school opening in August was actually delayed a few days. I remember going back to school to find that all the 'sticky stuff' which I had used to put up my posters on the wall had melted and run down the wall with the posters on the floor.

Those were the days when ladies didn't wear sandals with no hose and longer skirts and jumpers like are often worn today. We wore dresses with hose and dressy shoes and about melted! Today's styles are much easier to work in.

But then I remember my mother's stories of her beginning teaching days in a little two-room schoolhouse. There were outdoor toilets and she and the other teacher had to arrive early enough in the winter to build a fire. So I guess we all have something to tell our children about!

Children are amazingly resiliant given patience and care, and most seem to learn in spite of the conditions. I always think of Abraham Lincoln who taught himself most of what he knew by reading on his own. (I guess he's on my mind because it's almost February, and we always study about him as he was born about 15 miles from here.) That's good because it seems we can't ever find a workable calendar which appeals to everyone. Around here, we can really see a drop in attention once the children begin playing ball in the spring. They have might practices and games and often come to school tired and sleepy.

Well, this has gone on long enough! Sometimes I don't know when to stop!

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 19:05 (107058)

glad to hear your doxies have sweaters, carmen. my neighbor mary, with a yorkie named roscoe, brings him into my store every saturday. roscoe is the cutest thing going. he's almost sharper than people; probably is. i have a supply of dog biscuits under my counter; he gets l, 2, or 3, depending on how long mary talks.

i always sell more antiques when roscoe is in the store because people fall in love with him immediately.

in the summer, mary walks him to the beach twice a day, and he always has a miniature frisbee or soccer ball in his mouth. you'd have to be hercules to get it away from him, even though he pretends he wants you to try.

in the winter (like NOW!), he wears a sweater on cold days. on very cold days, he wears his sweater plus a down jacket velcroed around his little body. at christmas, he visited my shop completely done up in a santa claus suit, including the big black belt around his middle. he made me hysterical.

my sister rescues cats like you do dogs. over the past ten years she has been out thousands of dollars (with no complaint), feeding and tending feral cat colonies every single night. she also traps them in cages and has them neutered and given shots. she can tell the ones who want a human in their life and want a home, and she finds them a home. the others she returns to their colonies and continues to care for them daily.

she does all this after her very long workdays as a nurse in home care and elderly assisted-living facilities. in many ways her work with the cats is a thankless job, but it's well worth it to her and she wouldn't consider stopping.

i'm very grateful for people like you and her, and you have my utmost admiration!

nancy