Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A question for Scott or anyone else about "since your last visit"

Posted by Kathy G on 1/24/03 at 16:47 (106675)

When I click on 'Since your last visit' under any category, my computer tries to load for a long period of time and then I finally get a 'timed out' mesage. You know, one of those Gateway 504 messages. This has always happened so I never use that function. I just assumed it didn't work but I see from below, that Nancy, for example uses it, so it must be my computer. Actually, this is the second computer I've used since coming to these boards. I use a DSL connection. So does it have something to do with using AOL or what?

It sure would be nice if I could use that function. I sometimes miss messages on account of it, and my brain, not working.

Thanks,

Kathy

Re: I am So

Kathy G on 1/24/03 at 16:56 (106679)

I have no idea what happened! I really don't! It has to be my computer because earlier today, it just started typing zeroes and threes in the Comment section. This is a message from above that I should just get off the computer and I will do so, but I am sorry

Re: KATHY / Re: A question for Scott or anyone else about "since your last visit"

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 07:22 (106717)

kathy, i always click on the main 'Messages Posted Since Your Last Visit,' which is *above* the list of boards. it gives you all the messages posted since your last visit in every category, not just one particular category. i've never clicked on the separate ones for each board.

i just now tried clicking on the separate one for the 'treatments' board, and it went on and on forever, just like it sounds you experienced. so i think you have to use them regularly -- otherwise the list is way too long for some computers to handle.

if you want to start using the main one at the top, which will show you all new messages every time you visit, the first time you try it should say something like 'this does not work the first time you click on it. it will work for you the next time you click on it.' that's what it used to say, anyway, when i first started out. now i simply click on it and all the new messages appear in a long list (including text) in chronological order.

scottr, will that work for kathy as i described? and do the separate 'since your last visit' links for each board act as though you've just signed on for the first time, even if you use the 'Messages Posted Since Your Last Visit' at the top?

nancy

Re: KATHY / Re: A question for Scott or anyone else about "since your last visit"

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 11:19 (106741)

LOL!! Kathy and Nancy S., you two sure read this board differently from me!

What I've always done is to click on the individual boards, like 'social/support' or whatever, for my favorite boards. Then, when I'm done I look at the 'Reverse', in case there's something interesting to me that's posted on a board I don't usually read, like ESWT or Tarsal Tunnel.

I've never liked 'Messages posted since your last visit', because I might have become distracted and not read all the ones last time. I might have come here by mistake when I intended to go somewhere else, and then left without reading anything. At least this way I know I have seen the most recent stuff, and I usually scan the messages back to the last one I answered.

I haven't had any trouble at all with the individual boards or the Reverse, but then I use a PC instead of a Mac so maybe that makes a difference.

Carole C

Julie on 1/25/03 at 15:25 (106762)

I read Messages Posted Since Your Last Visit (on all the boards) like Nancy, and for me it's the best way of keeping track of everything that's going on. But the thing about it (or about reading MPSYLV on individual boards) is that if you don't do it every day, the number of messages quickly becomes unwieldy. If you haven't clicked on MPSYLV for a week or a month, there will be 100s or even 1000s of messages, which may be, Kathy, why your computer 'Times Out'.

If it's still your choice to read MPSYLV on individual boards, I would suggest that you click on each one of them in turn. That will count as a 'visit'. Then the next time you click, there will only be a few messages - and perhaps your computer will let you access them.

I don't know if that's your solution, but it might be worth a try.

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 16:57 (106773)

wow carole, to me it sounds like a lot of work, the way you read the boards. and i thought wendy was the only weird one.

i'm not even sure i understand your method, but it sounds like a lot of hopping around, and like you must miss some posts. however, i will not try to change your method, because i learned from wendy that we are each very attached to how we read the boards.

if you ever want to learn the *right* way, though, let me or julie or surely some other people know, and we'll teach you, heh heh.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 08:18 (106821)

It's really easy to do it my way.

There are 3-4 boards that I usually look at, so I go straight to them and read the new messages on them. I like that because sometimes I want to re-read an older message to get the context of a new message, and everything is all nicely arranged in threads so that I can do that. After I post on one particular board all that I want, I just hit 'message boards' at the top of the page to get out of that board and back to the list of all message boards.

'Reverse' helps me to make sure I didn't miss something interesting in other forums. Also I sometimes catch a post in 'reverse' that I might not have seen when I went to one of my favorite boards, so it's like a double check. I can read back to the last message I posted, and I know that when I posted it I had done the same, so I've scanned them all. If I find something I missed, I go back to the individual board to read it so that I can read it in context.

Yes, it IS amazing how differently we read these boards!

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 14:50 (106866)

caaarrrooolllle: your way sounds infinitely harder to me than any other way i can think of, including wendy's. wendy is now officially off the hook with me and i will no longer make fun of her reading backwards. you are my new favorite!

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 19:24 (106918)

ROFL!! It's not hard for me, though each to his/her own. As for me, I like to read things in threads. :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 19:43 (106920)

do you think you need to read things in threads because you're a whole year older than i am, and so you have lost a few more brain cells than i have and thus have more difficulty retaining the history behind a post? ;}
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 20:07 (106921)

That must be what it is, Nancy. :)

Carole C

Julie on 1/27/03 at 05:44 (106930)

Carole, as another inveterate 'All Messages' reader, I should like to point out that reading them doesn't obviate the possibility of reading threads! All you need to do if you don't remember the context/past history of a post (but I'll bet you do remember most) is click on 'View Thread', and hey, presto, there is the thread! This is really a quicker method of getting through a hefty day's posts, because you don't HAVE to read again the ones you do remember.

I am 13 years older than you and have lost a good many more brain cells, and this technique works well for me. It's quick and simple, and probably the best way not to miss anything.

But of course we're not trying to 'persuade you'... :)

The only time I don't use it is after I've been away for awhile and know that I can't possibly catch up with 2,000-odd posts, so I just log on to the home page, quickly log off, and log on again the next day.

Re: Thank you all!

Kathy G on 1/27/03 at 09:14 (106949)

Thank you all for the information. Now I will post a query to Scott to see where those MPSYLV links have gone for the individual boards! I have tried using it for all the boards and I'll have to give it some time because it seems kind of confusing for me. I usually just click on the individual boards and peruse the messages, but as I've said, I miss some doing it that way.

Now let's hope no computer demons post this message forty times!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 11:39 (106986)

Julie, I will try that some day. Of course, that assumes that I will remember to do so. At my advanced age of 54 I might not. Of course, you might not remember that I was trying to remember it! (grin)

Carole C

Re: Carole? What was that you were trying to remember?

Julie on 1/28/03 at 01:14 (107093)

:)

Re: I am So

Kathy G on 1/24/03 at 16:56 (106679)

I have no idea what happened! I really don't! It has to be my computer because earlier today, it just started typing zeroes and threes in the Comment section. This is a message from above that I should just get off the computer and I will do so, but I am sorry

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 07:22 (106717)

kathy, i always click on the main 'Messages Posted Since Your Last Visit,' which is *above* the list of boards. it gives you all the messages posted since your last visit in every category, not just one particular category. i've never clicked on the separate ones for each board.

i just now tried clicking on the separate one for the 'treatments' board, and it went on and on forever, just like it sounds you experienced. so i think you have to use them regularly -- otherwise the list is way too long for some computers to handle.

if you want to start using the main one at the top, which will show you all new messages every time you visit, the first time you try it should say something like 'this does not work the first time you click on it. it will work for you the next time you click on it.' that's what it used to say, anyway, when i first started out. now i simply click on it and all the new messages appear in a long list (including text) in chronological order.

scottr, will that work for kathy as i described? and do the separate 'since your last visit' links for each board act as though you've just signed on for the first time, even if you use the 'Messages Posted Since Your Last Visit' at the top?

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 11:19 (106741)

LOL!! Kathy and Nancy S., you two sure read this board differently from me!

What I've always done is to click on the individual boards, like 'social/support' or whatever, for my favorite boards. Then, when I'm done I look at the 'Reverse', in case there's something interesting to me that's posted on a board I don't usually read, like ESWT or Tarsal Tunnel.

I've never liked 'Messages posted since your last visit', because I might have become distracted and not read all the ones last time. I might have come here by mistake when I intended to go somewhere else, and then left without reading anything. At least this way I know I have seen the most recent stuff, and I usually scan the messages back to the last one I answered.

I haven't had any trouble at all with the individual boards or the Reverse, but then I use a PC instead of a Mac so maybe that makes a difference.

Carole C

Julie on 1/25/03 at 15:25 (106762)

I read Messages Posted Since Your Last Visit (on all the boards) like Nancy, and for me it's the best way of keeping track of everything that's going on. But the thing about it (or about reading MPSYLV on individual boards) is that if you don't do it every day, the number of messages quickly becomes unwieldy. If you haven't clicked on MPSYLV for a week or a month, there will be 100s or even 1000s of messages, which may be, Kathy, why your computer 'Times Out'.

If it's still your choice to read MPSYLV on individual boards, I would suggest that you click on each one of them in turn. That will count as a 'visit'. Then the next time you click, there will only be a few messages - and perhaps your computer will let you access them.

I don't know if that's your solution, but it might be worth a try.

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 16:57 (106773)

wow carole, to me it sounds like a lot of work, the way you read the boards. and i thought wendy was the only weird one.

i'm not even sure i understand your method, but it sounds like a lot of hopping around, and like you must miss some posts. however, i will not try to change your method, because i learned from wendy that we are each very attached to how we read the boards.

if you ever want to learn the *right* way, though, let me or julie or surely some other people know, and we'll teach you, heh heh.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 08:18 (106821)

It's really easy to do it my way.

There are 3-4 boards that I usually look at, so I go straight to them and read the new messages on them. I like that because sometimes I want to re-read an older message to get the context of a new message, and everything is all nicely arranged in threads so that I can do that. After I post on one particular board all that I want, I just hit 'message boards' at the top of the page to get out of that board and back to the list of all message boards.

'Reverse' helps me to make sure I didn't miss something interesting in other forums. Also I sometimes catch a post in 'reverse' that I might not have seen when I went to one of my favorite boards, so it's like a double check. I can read back to the last message I posted, and I know that when I posted it I had done the same, so I've scanned them all. If I find something I missed, I go back to the individual board to read it so that I can read it in context.

Yes, it IS amazing how differently we read these boards!

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 14:50 (106866)

caaarrrooolllle: your way sounds infinitely harder to me than any other way i can think of, including wendy's. wendy is now officially off the hook with me and i will no longer make fun of her reading backwards. you are my new favorite!

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 19:24 (106918)

ROFL!! It's not hard for me, though each to his/her own. As for me, I like to read things in threads. :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 19:43 (106920)

do you think you need to read things in threads because you're a whole year older than i am, and so you have lost a few more brain cells than i have and thus have more difficulty retaining the history behind a post? ;}
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 20:07 (106921)

That must be what it is, Nancy. :)

Carole C

Julie on 1/27/03 at 05:44 (106930)

Carole, as another inveterate 'All Messages' reader, I should like to point out that reading them doesn't obviate the possibility of reading threads! All you need to do if you don't remember the context/past history of a post (but I'll bet you do remember most) is click on 'View Thread', and hey, presto, there is the thread! This is really a quicker method of getting through a hefty day's posts, because you don't HAVE to read again the ones you do remember.

I am 13 years older than you and have lost a good many more brain cells, and this technique works well for me. It's quick and simple, and probably the best way not to miss anything.

But of course we're not trying to 'persuade you'... :)

The only time I don't use it is after I've been away for awhile and know that I can't possibly catch up with 2,000-odd posts, so I just log on to the home page, quickly log off, and log on again the next day.

Re: Thank you all!

Kathy G on 1/27/03 at 09:14 (106949)

Thank you all for the information. Now I will post a query to Scott to see where those MPSYLV links have gone for the individual boards! I have tried using it for all the boards and I'll have to give it some time because it seems kind of confusing for me. I usually just click on the individual boards and peruse the messages, but as I've said, I miss some doing it that way.

Now let's hope no computer demons post this message forty times!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 11:39 (106986)

Julie, I will try that some day. Of course, that assumes that I will remember to do so. At my advanced age of 54 I might not. Of course, you might not remember that I was trying to remember it! (grin)

Carole C

Re: Carole? What was that you were trying to remember?

Julie on 1/28/03 at 01:14 (107093)

:)