Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstocks and PF

Posted by Shell D on 1/24/03 at 18:35 (106684)

I recently had a 'successful' ESWT treatment in December and like everyone else with PF, have to wear shoes ALL THE TIME! What is everyone's opinion on Birkenstocks? Is there enough arch support? I've heard yes and I've heard no. Any advice would be appreciated.
Shell D.

Re: Birkenstocks and PF

Carole C in NOLA on 1/24/03 at 19:13 (106687)

Birkenstocks (especially Birkenstock Arizonas) are the most popular shoe on this message board for those with PF. They may not be perfect, but they seem to help most people quite a lot. They have a cork footbed that adjusts to the shape of your foot a little bit.

I think they were very helpful to me in the evenings when I was not wearing my custom orthotics.

If you have a Birkenstock store within an hour or two's drive, it's worthwhile going there to be fitted for your first pair. The fit is crucial because they have an orthotic footbed, and feel a lot better if the 'bump' hits your arch, and if your feet don't slop over the edge. Then after you are fitted you can order them online easily enough. Birkenstocks need to be broken in; an hour the first day, two hours the second, and so on.

I have high arches, and so I like the high arched version of the Birkenstock Tatami line (not all Tatamis are high arched, though). Still, whether you have high arches or not, it's best to begin with the so-called 'classic footbed' which can be found in the Arizona, Greneda, Boston, and many other styles. Then if you can adjust to the classic footbed, and want even more arch support you can always get the high arched type.

You can look at the styles on http://www.birkenstockexpress.com or other sites.

rlpd on 1/24/03 at 19:14 (106688)

I'm glad your treatment was successful. Is that what they tell you after treatment - to wear shoes all the time. I thought if it was successful your feet would be like old times. Enlighten me please!

Shell D on 1/24/03 at 22:28 (106698)

Well, from what I understand, to prevent the pain from re-occuring, I still always need to wear good supportive shoes AT ALL TIMES. There's always that chance of re-injuring, I guess. At this point, with my feet feeling about 85% better, I'll do anything they say to keep them feeling good. I have orthotics in my shoes now, which are very comfortable. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much money you spend on tennis shoes, the arch support is JUST NOT THERE!
Shell D.

Julie on 1/25/03 at 01:21 (106710)

RLPD

ESWT isn't a magic bullet cure, it's a treatment that helps injured tissues to heal. It can't change the conditions that predisposed you to PF - for example, faulty biomechanics. If PF has a biomechanical cause, that will continue to need to be addressed. So, yes, shoes all the time, and, usually, custom orthotics.

Mar on 1/25/03 at 07:18 (106715)

Birks are good for me too but they take a long time to get used to. I wore them in the summer and as bedroom slippers. I was without them for 2 1/2 months and now am trying to wear them again, but it will take time to get used to them again. It took me about 2 months to break them in the first time!! I can only wear the soft footbed ones. Mar

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 07:29 (106719)

i am a big birks fan. i think i'd still be crippled if i hadn't found them. apparently they were just right for me, because i needed very little break-in time (but i know many people have to break them in more slowly).

the first ones i tried were the boston birks, and although i have other styles now too (including some tatamis), the bostons remain my favorite. i do have a pair of soft footbeds but wear them only occasionally in the evening after a hard day. most days i wear the classic footbed bostons, all day long.

birks are well worth a try! they've helped many people here, probably more than not.

nancy

john h on 1/25/03 at 11:14 (106739)

Nancy: Are you perhaps inflenced by the name 'Boston' when you select your Birks? hmmmmmmmm!

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 16:51 (106771)

well i do like the name 'boston' better than some of the others (i won't name any in case someone else on here likes the name!).

but i bought them because they're closed in compared to the sandals. my toes get cold very easily. i get cold feet very easily, in every way you can think of!

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/24/03 at 19:13 (106687)

Birkenstocks (especially Birkenstock Arizonas) are the most popular shoe on this message board for those with PF. They may not be perfect, but they seem to help most people quite a lot. They have a cork footbed that adjusts to the shape of your foot a little bit.

I think they were very helpful to me in the evenings when I was not wearing my custom orthotics.

If you have a Birkenstock store within an hour or two's drive, it's worthwhile going there to be fitted for your first pair. The fit is crucial because they have an orthotic footbed, and feel a lot better if the 'bump' hits your arch, and if your feet don't slop over the edge. Then after you are fitted you can order them online easily enough. Birkenstocks need to be broken in; an hour the first day, two hours the second, and so on.

I have high arches, and so I like the high arched version of the Birkenstock Tatami line (not all Tatamis are high arched, though). Still, whether you have high arches or not, it's best to begin with the so-called 'classic footbed' which can be found in the Arizona, Greneda, Boston, and many other styles. Then if you can adjust to the classic footbed, and want even more arch support you can always get the high arched type.

You can look at the styles on http://www.birkenstockexpress.com or other sites.

rlpd on 1/24/03 at 19:14 (106688)

I'm glad your treatment was successful. Is that what they tell you after treatment - to wear shoes all the time. I thought if it was successful your feet would be like old times. Enlighten me please!

Shell D on 1/24/03 at 22:28 (106698)

Well, from what I understand, to prevent the pain from re-occuring, I still always need to wear good supportive shoes AT ALL TIMES. There's always that chance of re-injuring, I guess. At this point, with my feet feeling about 85% better, I'll do anything they say to keep them feeling good. I have orthotics in my shoes now, which are very comfortable. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much money you spend on tennis shoes, the arch support is JUST NOT THERE!
Shell D.

Julie on 1/25/03 at 01:21 (106710)

RLPD

ESWT isn't a magic bullet cure, it's a treatment that helps injured tissues to heal. It can't change the conditions that predisposed you to PF - for example, faulty biomechanics. If PF has a biomechanical cause, that will continue to need to be addressed. So, yes, shoes all the time, and, usually, custom orthotics.

Mar on 1/25/03 at 07:18 (106715)

Birks are good for me too but they take a long time to get used to. I wore them in the summer and as bedroom slippers. I was without them for 2 1/2 months and now am trying to wear them again, but it will take time to get used to them again. It took me about 2 months to break them in the first time!! I can only wear the soft footbed ones. Mar

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 07:29 (106719)

i am a big birks fan. i think i'd still be crippled if i hadn't found them. apparently they were just right for me, because i needed very little break-in time (but i know many people have to break them in more slowly).

the first ones i tried were the boston birks, and although i have other styles now too (including some tatamis), the bostons remain my favorite. i do have a pair of soft footbeds but wear them only occasionally in the evening after a hard day. most days i wear the classic footbed bostons, all day long.

birks are well worth a try! they've helped many people here, probably more than not.

nancy

john h on 1/25/03 at 11:14 (106739)

Nancy: Are you perhaps inflenced by the name 'Boston' when you select your Birks? hmmmmmmmm!

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 16:51 (106771)

well i do like the name 'boston' better than some of the others (i won't name any in case someone else on here likes the name!).

but i bought them because they're closed in compared to the sandals. my toes get cold very easily. i get cold feet very easily, in every way you can think of!

nancy