Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

this is messed up

Posted by pala on 1/25/03 at 10:02 (106730)

when i return here the old messages are still here.

Re: this is messed up

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 10:11 (106731)

that sounds like a new problem, paula. i guess you mean you can't see any new messages? actually, this one of yours is the only new one i've seen for about an hour. i don't know if no one else has posted or i'm going blind.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 11:03 (106738)

Yesterday it seemed to me like the titles of the messages I read (which turn from blue to green when I read them), were blue again when I came back.

I thought maybe I had got mixed up since I read them on two computers, but it seemed like that was happening no matter which computer I was using.

They are behaving now, I think.

Carole C

pala on 1/25/03 at 15:22 (106761)

i'm seeing new messages but then i'm also seeing the old ones. and the messages i post are not in the right order. and if you didn't see the others then that's weird. i once read a sci fi story that all human contact and every need was met by an electronic system. when it all broke down the people in their little cubicles started praying and screaming 'oh machine, oh machine.' i think i'll try that.

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 17:35 (106776)

no no, don't cry out to the machine -- they're just electronics, they do not listen and you'll only be greatly disappointed. i can't figure out what's happening with your viewing of messages -- it's a totally new problem as far as i know. you mean you get the new messages, and then at the bottom of the list older ones appear, and you could keep scrolling and reading older messages? this is bizarre.

according to MY machine, ever since kathy posted and then i answered her on the separate heelspurs.com board, the 'since your last visit' option for each individual board has disappeared! but people are talking about it like it's still there! (carole?). i no longer have it, and that's fine with me because i don't use it, but i'm wondering at all these different experiences we're having. maybe it's the FBI.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 17:38 (106777)

Nancy, it's still there on the page that lists all the message boards. At least, it's there for me. I still don't use it. Maybe my antique dealer kidnapped the 'since your last visit' option and is laboriously covering it with layers of unwanted lacquer. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 18:06 (106779)

carole, you mean on the message boards home page, you still see 'since your last visit' to the right of each separate board listed?

i still have my dearly beloved 'messages posted since your last visit' at the top, which is the one i always use.

but ever since i answered kathy this morning, and asked scott to confirm what i told her, those 'since your list visit' options to the right of each board listed have disappeared! it's downright spooky, as if scott is trying to punish me for never using them! (scottr, tsk tsk, did you do this just to me?) (this is no punishment, because i don't use them, but i'm a little paranoid if it's happened only to me!)

yes, in fact maybe your dealer, now that we're discussing and suspecting him here, is planning to dismember the board and lacquer it limb by limb. maybe he'll make money. those of us over 30, in some antiquing circles, are officially antiques now, so our posts may be worth a FORTUNE. imagine.

nancy

pala on 1/25/03 at 18:35 (106782)

no no no. it is obvious that all machines are rebelling. everyone must start yelling 'oh machine' repeatedly now. nancy this is obviously not the time for calm logic. oh machine!, oh machine!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 18:37 (106783)

No, I don't see it to the right of each separate board. You're right. I was looking at the top.

Just think! our antique posts are growing in value each day as they get older.

My dealer can keep anything he lacquers to himself. He probably goes home to a little lacquered room, with lacquered floors, lacquered paneled walls, lacquered furniture and eats his lacquered dinner while watching his TV through the 17 lacquered coats over the screen. Then he probably brushes his teeth with a lacquered toothbrush, lays his head down on his hard lacquered pillow and dreams about lacquering more tables.

Carole C

pala on 1/25/03 at 19:22 (106790)

i can't tell where old messages begin and new ones end. can someone say something absolutely outlandish from time to time so i can use it as a marker?

Re: this is messed up -- oh machine!

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 20:12 (106792)

well i think 'oh machine, oh machine' is pretty outlandish, so here you are for starters:
oh machine
oh machine
oh machine
oh machine
oh machine
oh machine
oh machine
thank you for telling me this is not the time for calm logic. i can't always tell the difference. usually i err on the other side!
nancy

pala on 1/25/03 at 21:47 (106804)

that helped. thanks. should i tell scott about this/ can he fix stuff like this? what happens when i get a million messages here and they never go away. this is like cyber ground hog day.

Re: this is messed up -- oh machine! & some outrageous message

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 06:34 (106815)

lol paula, cyber groundhog day. like we need it in cyberspace when we wake up to it in reality many mornings, eh?

yes, i'd tell scott about it. doesn't sound like it's happening to anyone else, so i don't know if he can do anything, but you never know -- maybe there's some kink in the system affecting the minority. it wouldn't be the first time.

post to scottr on the heelspurs.com board or email him. maybe he'll know what to do. in case not,

some outrageous message
some outrageous message
some outrageous message

nancy

pala on 1/26/03 at 09:22 (106825)

excellent. you are so kind.

Re: this is messed up -- oh machine! & some outrageous message: Number 3

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 14:47 (106865)

'Sweet Dreams, Baby.' that's roy orbison on the radio at the moment.

i read today in the newspaper, paula, that some computer illness is going around this weekend. i wonder if that's causing your problem.

nancy

john h on 1/26/03 at 15:06 (106870)

You need not worry Nancy. Us Mac people are sort of immune to these virus attacks although this one was attacking Servers that serve us so it could effect your service but not your computer.

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 15:21 (106877)

yes, and thank god for that, john, because i'm somewhat an insomniac and a technophobe as it is; if i had to worry about Viruses Attacking My Computer i would never sleep again.

i don't know if paula has a mac or one of those inferior machines. paula?

pala on 1/26/03 at 17:44 (106901)

hmmm. i have a mac. i thought i was immune.

pala on 1/26/03 at 17:50 (106904)

is nancy s the only one here who can come up with outrageous markers for me? come on gang i know you can be silly if you try. like the roy orbitson song nancy.,

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 19:11 (106912)

you shouldn't be affected, at least not your computer. but john said our servers could be affected, and i think mine must be, because all day today i'm getting spontaneous boxed messages, out of the blue, that say 'error: a disconnection has occurred.' only no disconnection is actually occurring.

this has never happened before.

glad you appreciated roy's message. i don't have another good one from the radio right now, because i hear superbowl sounds coming from it. yuck. he doesn't even like football very much, i don't know why he's listening. maybe it's because he considers it an improvement over the movie we just saw, 'Confessions of a Dangerous Mind,' and on that he would be right. the mind of chuck barris. it's on the empty side. i would like my $5 back.

nancy

pala on 1/27/03 at 16:07 (107033)

macular degeneratio, anitiques, photo fixed. i don't know where old messges start and new ones stop. i'm reading same messages over and over. i'm going insane. help help. oh machine oh machine. i just wrote this as a marker for myself. some wierd short sentences from time to time would help me mark my place. but if it's just me and nancy so be it. new catchy strange headings would help more.

Re: number 4? help for poor pala!

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 19:23 (107063)

strange strange strange -- will you be losing your place forever? strange strange strange.

now i'm SURE that more people could help, come on all you nice folks.

this will probably not be up your alley, paula, but i just thought i'd mention the following. i've never read kerouac, believe it or not, but 'on the road' was my brothers' favorite book for many years. and after i graduated, apparently there was a little difficulty adjusting to real life after school life. i made my family write book reviews every time they read something, and pass them around via u.s. mail. (no internet then.)

my mother, the utmost un-crude, unpretentious, and most modest woman alive, decided to read 'on the road' in 1974 because 'it's jeff's favorite book.' she sent around her typed review afterward, and the first paragraph always sticks in my mind:

'this is the boring chronicle of two pathetic bums criss-crossing the country trying desperately to have fun.' she then mentioned something about their 'sexless sex lives.' by the time i received her review, my brother jeff had already read it, and he marked on it 'D+! Mary Jane, please see me after class!'

this has no particular meaning, but i thought you might get a kick out of it.

nancy

pala on 1/27/03 at 19:55 (107069)

that is a hilarious review. kerouac is one of my favourite writers . if you can get over the sexism (sign of the times i guess) and the fact that he was in desperate need of heavy editing which he would not allow. he always claimed he was a genius and a great innovator. and i think he was right. until he got so debilitated by alcahol that his writing lost it's muscle. who are some of your favourite writers nancy and the question goes out to the rest of the group here too.

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 21:23 (107077)

oh i'm glad you thought it was hilarious. i did too (that's why i remember the opening, verbatim), and i would've whether it was about my favorite writer or one i'd never heard of.

let's see, my favorite writers . . . i read them all before i started book-editing for work, after which i could no longer read for pleasure. but some favorites before that were rilke, virginia woolf, joyce, wilde, george eliot. no one too contemporary, as you can see! since then i like true things, especially biographies, and especially biographies about my favorite artists, such as georgia o'keeffe and rothko. lately, since i've stopped doing much editing, i like reading true books about things i'd NEVER do -- i think it's warped of me -- but books like 'into thin air,' 'endurance: shackleton's incredible voyage,' 'the johnstown flood,' 'alive,' that sort of thing. they just grip me, safe here in my little house.

there's a big bio of ben franklin on my nightstand, waiting to be read. but it's too heavy to hold while i'm in bed, so i'll have to figure out other times to read it.

i'm sure i'm leaving out about 54 writers. who else for you?

nancy

pala on 1/27/03 at 21:49 (107078)

jejune jesuits, joyce is heavy man. who is rilke what did he write that you like? i like bios too. especially about writers and poets. to loosely quote hemingway when they asked him to write something to free ezra pound from the loony bin ' pound is not a traitor. the is crazy. all poets are insane. either let him out or put all poets in .' their lives are wild. some of my fave writers are yeats ( why the muse so blessed such a fascist pig and general piece of crap i do not know) , allen ginsberg ( why the muse only blessed him for a few years and then inspired him to publish for forty more years i'll never know) . rimbaud. sartre (well his writing about genet. everything else is beyond me. i can't ever even remember the definition of existentialism, let alone read about it. genet. (is that how to spell it?) oscar wilde huh? i never read him. suggest something , i'll try it. suggest something by rilke too.

pala on 1/27/03 at 22:00 (107079)

p.s. i forgot dostoevsky and nabakov.

Re: number 5 / help for poor pala!

nancy s. on 1/28/03 at 01:47 (107095)

yah, joyce can be heavy, but i'm talking only 'dubliners,' 'portrait of the artist as a young man,' and 'ulysses.' no 'finnegans wake'! rainer marie rilke is heavy too, i'm afraid -- AND a poet! i did my senior thesis on his 'duino elegies' and i highly recommend them -- actually quite buddhist in outlook, i realized much later, although most buddhist treatises i've read are a lot easier to get through; by that i guess i mean they get to the point sooner and with far fewer (let's say 'no') romantic hallucinations. he didn't even know he had a buddhist outlook.

i love your hemingway quote, very funny! i liked yeats too but found him hard to stick with, and if he was a fascist pig i guess that's just as well, eh? i got something out of some of the existentialists (like sartre and camus), although they were too depressing for me to keep around the house for long. ginsberg did a reading at bard when i was there; he borrowed my boyfriend's soap in the shower the next morning. anais nin read another time; she was surreal. oh, i liked a lot of sylvia plath; my favorite poem of hers (can't remember the title) said 'perfection is boring / it cannot have children.'

oscar wilde (yet another irishman) was pretty outrageous. the main one that stuck with me was his novel 'the picture of dorian gray,' which wasn't all that outrageous but still different. i'd suggest you try that, and rilke's 'duino elegies,' although you might hate rilke, i'm not sure.

i forgot to mention knut hamsen's 'pan' and 'hunger,' both worth reading. have you read beckett's 'waiting for godot'? i loved that. i've seen it performed too, but i can't absorb literature in performance; i'd rather read it. if you never read it, i think you'd like it.

g'night now.

nancy

nancy s. on 1/28/03 at 01:54 (107096)

oops, typo: it's rainer mariA rilke.

nancy s. on 1/28/03 at 01:55 (107097)

maybe check out his 'letters to a young poet' also.

pala on 1/28/03 at 09:31 (107125)

will check out suggestions. you are lucky ginsberg borrowed your boyfreind's soap and not your boyfriend . he was quite the masher well into old age. i read a bio of beckett. some of the dialogue and much of the tone of godot came from his and his significant other's style of interacting. i meant to read it. thanks for reminding me. how did i miss rilke. i love poetry.

Re: pala: couples who fight over having corners of sheets in their faces while sleeping should have round sheets

nancy s. on 1/28/03 at 17:33 (107185)

that's true, paula! i tend not to notice sociological differences among people -- i'm the last one in the room or the last one in town to notice. so i had no idea i was in danger of losing my boyfriend to ginsberg at the time. he DID seem kind of thrilled that ginsberg used his soap, so now i wonder if i misread the thrill. no matter! he's long gone, was a nice guy, though.

well let me know what you think of rilke, then! it's obvious when you read him that he's not a poet from our generation -- i don't know if that's important to you -- but he's kind of other-worldly and therefore timeless. in real time, he was writing end-of-1800s/early-1900s.

i loved poetry for many years, and wrote some bad poetry myself, and now haven't read any for a very long time. do you have someone to suggest for an old lit major who is a bit jaded (but only a bit) compared to when i was in school? (it took me four long years to learn to read at least somewhat analytically and not judge everything based on my subjective reactions. i consider my college years a success based solely on this development.)

nancy

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 10:11 (106731)

that sounds like a new problem, paula. i guess you mean you can't see any new messages? actually, this one of yours is the only new one i've seen for about an hour. i don't know if no one else has posted or i'm going blind.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 11:03 (106738)

Yesterday it seemed to me like the titles of the messages I read (which turn from blue to green when I read them), were blue again when I came back.

I thought maybe I had got mixed up since I read them on two computers, but it seemed like that was happening no matter which computer I was using.

They are behaving now, I think.

Carole C

pala on 1/25/03 at 15:22 (106761)

i'm seeing new messages but then i'm also seeing the old ones. and the messages i post are not in the right order. and if you didn't see the others then that's weird. i once read a sci fi story that all human contact and every need was met by an electronic system. when it all broke down the people in their little cubicles started praying and screaming 'oh machine, oh machine.' i think i'll try that.

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 17:35 (106776)

no no, don't cry out to the machine -- they're just electronics, they do not listen and you'll only be greatly disappointed. i can't figure out what's happening with your viewing of messages -- it's a totally new problem as far as i know. you mean you get the new messages, and then at the bottom of the list older ones appear, and you could keep scrolling and reading older messages? this is bizarre.

according to MY machine, ever since kathy posted and then i answered her on the separate heelspurs.com board, the 'since your last visit' option for each individual board has disappeared! but people are talking about it like it's still there! (carole?). i no longer have it, and that's fine with me because i don't use it, but i'm wondering at all these different experiences we're having. maybe it's the FBI.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 17:38 (106777)

Nancy, it's still there on the page that lists all the message boards. At least, it's there for me. I still don't use it. Maybe my antique dealer kidnapped the 'since your last visit' option and is laboriously covering it with layers of unwanted lacquer. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 18:06 (106779)

carole, you mean on the message boards home page, you still see 'since your last visit' to the right of each separate board listed?

i still have my dearly beloved 'messages posted since your last visit' at the top, which is the one i always use.

but ever since i answered kathy this morning, and asked scott to confirm what i told her, those 'since your list visit' options to the right of each board listed have disappeared! it's downright spooky, as if scott is trying to punish me for never using them! (scottr, tsk tsk, did you do this just to me?) (this is no punishment, because i don't use them, but i'm a little paranoid if it's happened only to me!)

yes, in fact maybe your dealer, now that we're discussing and suspecting him here, is planning to dismember the board and lacquer it limb by limb. maybe he'll make money. those of us over 30, in some antiquing circles, are officially antiques now, so our posts may be worth a FORTUNE. imagine.

nancy

pala on 1/25/03 at 18:35 (106782)

no no no. it is obvious that all machines are rebelling. everyone must start yelling 'oh machine' repeatedly now. nancy this is obviously not the time for calm logic. oh machine!, oh machine!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 18:37 (106783)

No, I don't see it to the right of each separate board. You're right. I was looking at the top.

Just think! our antique posts are growing in value each day as they get older.

My dealer can keep anything he lacquers to himself. He probably goes home to a little lacquered room, with lacquered floors, lacquered paneled walls, lacquered furniture and eats his lacquered dinner while watching his TV through the 17 lacquered coats over the screen. Then he probably brushes his teeth with a lacquered toothbrush, lays his head down on his hard lacquered pillow and dreams about lacquering more tables.

Carole C

pala on 1/25/03 at 19:22 (106790)

i can't tell where old messages begin and new ones end. can someone say something absolutely outlandish from time to time so i can use it as a marker?

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 20:12 (106792)

well i think 'oh machine, oh machine' is pretty outlandish, so here you are for starters:
oh machine
oh machine
oh machine
oh machine
oh machine
oh machine
oh machine
thank you for telling me this is not the time for calm logic. i can't always tell the difference. usually i err on the other side!
nancy

pala on 1/25/03 at 21:47 (106804)

that helped. thanks. should i tell scott about this/ can he fix stuff like this? what happens when i get a million messages here and they never go away. this is like cyber ground hog day.

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 06:34 (106815)

lol paula, cyber groundhog day. like we need it in cyberspace when we wake up to it in reality many mornings, eh?

yes, i'd tell scott about it. doesn't sound like it's happening to anyone else, so i don't know if he can do anything, but you never know -- maybe there's some kink in the system affecting the minority. it wouldn't be the first time.

post to scottr on the heelspurs.com board or email him. maybe he'll know what to do. in case not,

some outrageous message
some outrageous message
some outrageous message

nancy

pala on 1/26/03 at 09:22 (106825)

excellent. you are so kind.

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 14:47 (106865)

'Sweet Dreams, Baby.' that's roy orbison on the radio at the moment.

i read today in the newspaper, paula, that some computer illness is going around this weekend. i wonder if that's causing your problem.

nancy

john h on 1/26/03 at 15:06 (106870)

You need not worry Nancy. Us Mac people are sort of immune to these virus attacks although this one was attacking Servers that serve us so it could effect your service but not your computer.

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 15:21 (106877)

yes, and thank god for that, john, because i'm somewhat an insomniac and a technophobe as it is; if i had to worry about Viruses Attacking My Computer i would never sleep again.

i don't know if paula has a mac or one of those inferior machines. paula?

pala on 1/26/03 at 17:44 (106901)

hmmm. i have a mac. i thought i was immune.

pala on 1/26/03 at 17:50 (106904)

is nancy s the only one here who can come up with outrageous markers for me? come on gang i know you can be silly if you try. like the roy orbitson song nancy.,

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 19:11 (106912)

you shouldn't be affected, at least not your computer. but john said our servers could be affected, and i think mine must be, because all day today i'm getting spontaneous boxed messages, out of the blue, that say 'error: a disconnection has occurred.' only no disconnection is actually occurring.

this has never happened before.

glad you appreciated roy's message. i don't have another good one from the radio right now, because i hear superbowl sounds coming from it. yuck. he doesn't even like football very much, i don't know why he's listening. maybe it's because he considers it an improvement over the movie we just saw, 'Confessions of a Dangerous Mind,' and on that he would be right. the mind of chuck barris. it's on the empty side. i would like my $5 back.

nancy

pala on 1/27/03 at 16:07 (107033)

macular degeneratio, anitiques, photo fixed. i don't know where old messges start and new ones stop. i'm reading same messages over and over. i'm going insane. help help. oh machine oh machine. i just wrote this as a marker for myself. some wierd short sentences from time to time would help me mark my place. but if it's just me and nancy so be it. new catchy strange headings would help more.

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 19:23 (107063)

strange strange strange -- will you be losing your place forever? strange strange strange.

now i'm SURE that more people could help, come on all you nice folks.

this will probably not be up your alley, paula, but i just thought i'd mention the following. i've never read kerouac, believe it or not, but 'on the road' was my brothers' favorite book for many years. and after i graduated, apparently there was a little difficulty adjusting to real life after school life. i made my family write book reviews every time they read something, and pass them around via u.s. mail. (no internet then.)

my mother, the utmost un-crude, unpretentious, and most modest woman alive, decided to read 'on the road' in 1974 because 'it's jeff's favorite book.' she sent around her typed review afterward, and the first paragraph always sticks in my mind:

'this is the boring chronicle of two pathetic bums criss-crossing the country trying desperately to have fun.' she then mentioned something about their 'sexless sex lives.' by the time i received her review, my brother jeff had already read it, and he marked on it 'D+! Mary Jane, please see me after class!'

this has no particular meaning, but i thought you might get a kick out of it.

nancy

pala on 1/27/03 at 19:55 (107069)

that is a hilarious review. kerouac is one of my favourite writers . if you can get over the sexism (sign of the times i guess) and the fact that he was in desperate need of heavy editing which he would not allow. he always claimed he was a genius and a great innovator. and i think he was right. until he got so debilitated by alcahol that his writing lost it's muscle. who are some of your favourite writers nancy and the question goes out to the rest of the group here too.

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 21:23 (107077)

oh i'm glad you thought it was hilarious. i did too (that's why i remember the opening, verbatim), and i would've whether it was about my favorite writer or one i'd never heard of.

let's see, my favorite writers . . . i read them all before i started book-editing for work, after which i could no longer read for pleasure. but some favorites before that were rilke, virginia woolf, joyce, wilde, george eliot. no one too contemporary, as you can see! since then i like true things, especially biographies, and especially biographies about my favorite artists, such as georgia o'keeffe and rothko. lately, since i've stopped doing much editing, i like reading true books about things i'd NEVER do -- i think it's warped of me -- but books like 'into thin air,' 'endurance: shackleton's incredible voyage,' 'the johnstown flood,' 'alive,' that sort of thing. they just grip me, safe here in my little house.

there's a big bio of ben franklin on my nightstand, waiting to be read. but it's too heavy to hold while i'm in bed, so i'll have to figure out other times to read it.

i'm sure i'm leaving out about 54 writers. who else for you?

nancy

pala on 1/27/03 at 21:49 (107078)

jejune jesuits, joyce is heavy man. who is rilke what did he write that you like? i like bios too. especially about writers and poets. to loosely quote hemingway when they asked him to write something to free ezra pound from the loony bin ' pound is not a traitor. the is crazy. all poets are insane. either let him out or put all poets in .' their lives are wild. some of my fave writers are yeats ( why the muse so blessed such a fascist pig and general piece of crap i do not know) , allen ginsberg ( why the muse only blessed him for a few years and then inspired him to publish for forty more years i'll never know) . rimbaud. sartre (well his writing about genet. everything else is beyond me. i can't ever even remember the definition of existentialism, let alone read about it. genet. (is that how to spell it?) oscar wilde huh? i never read him. suggest something , i'll try it. suggest something by rilke too.

pala on 1/27/03 at 22:00 (107079)

p.s. i forgot dostoevsky and nabakov.

nancy s. on 1/28/03 at 01:47 (107095)

yah, joyce can be heavy, but i'm talking only 'dubliners,' 'portrait of the artist as a young man,' and 'ulysses.' no 'finnegans wake'! rainer marie rilke is heavy too, i'm afraid -- AND a poet! i did my senior thesis on his 'duino elegies' and i highly recommend them -- actually quite buddhist in outlook, i realized much later, although most buddhist treatises i've read are a lot easier to get through; by that i guess i mean they get to the point sooner and with far fewer (let's say 'no') romantic hallucinations. he didn't even know he had a buddhist outlook.

i love your hemingway quote, very funny! i liked yeats too but found him hard to stick with, and if he was a fascist pig i guess that's just as well, eh? i got something out of some of the existentialists (like sartre and camus), although they were too depressing for me to keep around the house for long. ginsberg did a reading at bard when i was there; he borrowed my boyfriend's soap in the shower the next morning. anais nin read another time; she was surreal. oh, i liked a lot of sylvia plath; my favorite poem of hers (can't remember the title) said 'perfection is boring / it cannot have children.'

oscar wilde (yet another irishman) was pretty outrageous. the main one that stuck with me was his novel 'the picture of dorian gray,' which wasn't all that outrageous but still different. i'd suggest you try that, and rilke's 'duino elegies,' although you might hate rilke, i'm not sure.

i forgot to mention knut hamsen's 'pan' and 'hunger,' both worth reading. have you read beckett's 'waiting for godot'? i loved that. i've seen it performed too, but i can't absorb literature in performance; i'd rather read it. if you never read it, i think you'd like it.

g'night now.

nancy

nancy s. on 1/28/03 at 01:54 (107096)

oops, typo: it's rainer mariA rilke.

nancy s. on 1/28/03 at 01:55 (107097)

maybe check out his 'letters to a young poet' also.

pala on 1/28/03 at 09:31 (107125)

will check out suggestions. you are lucky ginsberg borrowed your boyfreind's soap and not your boyfriend . he was quite the masher well into old age. i read a bio of beckett. some of the dialogue and much of the tone of godot came from his and his significant other's style of interacting. i meant to read it. thanks for reminding me. how did i miss rilke. i love poetry.

Re: pala: couples who fight over having corners of sheets in their faces while sleeping should have round sheets

nancy s. on 1/28/03 at 17:33 (107185)

that's true, paula! i tend not to notice sociological differences among people -- i'm the last one in the room or the last one in town to notice. so i had no idea i was in danger of losing my boyfriend to ginsberg at the time. he DID seem kind of thrilled that ginsberg used his soap, so now i wonder if i misread the thrill. no matter! he's long gone, was a nice guy, though.

well let me know what you think of rilke, then! it's obvious when you read him that he's not a poet from our generation -- i don't know if that's important to you -- but he's kind of other-worldly and therefore timeless. in real time, he was writing end-of-1800s/early-1900s.

i loved poetry for many years, and wrote some bad poetry myself, and now haven't read any for a very long time. do you have someone to suggest for an old lit major who is a bit jaded (but only a bit) compared to when i was in school? (it took me four long years to learn to read at least somewhat analytically and not judge everything based on my subjective reactions. i consider my college years a success based solely on this development.)

nancy