Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Antique refinishing (?)

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 13:45 (106758)

Nancy, Necee, and all you other antique lovers out there... I've got a real puzzle to work out. You know, I bought that antique (1940's) oak French writing table for not very much on New Year's Day. The dealer who sold it to me is supposed to be reputable, but he's been giving me the run-around about delivery. I've called him over a dozen times about it. This last time on Wednesday I asked him when would be convenient for him to deliver (since he wasn't showing up at times I suggested), and he chose 8 AM this morning.

By 10:30 he hadn't arrived or called (even though I had given him my number three times). So, I called him which is not an easy matter. He said they couldn't deliver it because it wouldn't be dry. I said, HUH? And then he told me again what a wonderful and reputable antique dealer he is, and that he always steel wools, lacquers, and waxes tables before delivery, and to trust him, I'd like it (but I couldn't get the table for two more weeks).

First, is that a common practice? My other antique dealer didn't do this. I am upset because I felt like this dealer should have at least told me he was going to refinish it, and he should not have scheduled delivery in just two days if he planned to do a two week refinishing job on it. I am wondering if it got damaged while he was storing it for me.

I told him not to refinish it, which seemed to upset him, but he now says that he can deliver it Monday.

My second question is, if it turns out that it's damaged and I can't get my money back, what is a nice, natural (not shiny lacquered or urethaned) way to refinish oak? I figure that if I end up doing this I'll sand it with that very very fine sandpaper, which has another name that I've forgotten. I'm not sure what else people do with oak. Maybe it doesn't need anything but I don't know.

Any ideas?

Carole C

Re: Antique refinishing (?)

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 16:49 (106770)

carole, i'm amazed by this dealer's behavior.

first and foremost, you NEVER refinish without a request or go-ahead from the buyer. that makes no sense. many people don't even want a refinishing, and if they do, it's usually discussed and a charge is added. i don't touch a piece someone has bought as is, period. i like most everything 'as is' anyway, and that's clear from my shop (!), so i almost never run into this even as a question. but i have to tell you, i've been in the business nine years now, and i never heard of a dealer refinishing something without it being part of the bargain.

second, that he says he'll deliver and chronically never shows up without calling is very unprofessional. i'm sorry to say he sounds unreliable to me.

my suspicion antennae are OUT and SENSING! if i were you, i'd get right over there and examine the table. if he has any business sense at all, and you don't like what he's done (or what has happened) to the table, he'll refund your money. demand that he do so if something has gone wrong.

if the table is all right and he's just negligent in delivering it, at this point i'd tell him if he doesn't deliver it on monday as promised that i'll call the better business bureau and raise whatever other ruckus you can think of.

since tomorrow is sunday, can you go there and look at the table?

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 17:26 (106775)

Nancy, thank you for confirming that I'm not totally insane. I just couldn't believe that he was going to refinish it without even asking me! I was wondering if maybe I was being unreasonable or a raving lunatic but from what you've said, thank goodness I stuck to my guns.

I was really upset with him this morning, especially since I let him choose the time to deliver, he chose 8 AM this morning, and then never showed. I spent Thursday night and last night finishing the long process of emptying out my old desk (which he promised to remove), and putting the contents in drawers and boxes in the closet. Then I moved any furniture that might get in the way of the delivery men and even took down one large oil painting located at a tight corner. I set up my computer on the dining room table. I set my alarm and this morning I got up early, which is not my idea of a fun thing to do on a Saturday. Then I sat by the window for three hours before calling him. Then he gives me this song and dance about refinishing it, which he had never mentioned before. He says it would be free, but honestly I don't want a lacquer finish at all; I like the soft, natural oak finish that was on it when I bought it.

I can't look at the table tomorrow, because he removed it to a storage location (part of the deal was that he'd store it for me for a week or two, until I was ready for it). From something that he said, I think the storage location is in one of his helpers' homes.

If he doesn't deliver on Monday, I think I can bring down plenty of trouble on him and I'm so furious that I sure will. He was recommended by Frank's uncle, who has been a big time antique wholesaler in New Orleans for many years and is quite a rich and powerful man around here. Frank was furious when I e-mailed him about this, and he wants to call his uncle long distance about it. If I want to, I can ensure that this dealer's reputation is badly damaged (which means something in a 'large small town' like New Orleans). Also I'm thinking that maybe Frank's uncle could get my money back or some reparation.

Frank also thinks that the table was probably damaged while being stored in somebody's home, and that that is what this is all about. I think the dealer should come clean, and stop being so deceptive. If there is any damage he could give me an allowance for any damage that occurred or refund my money, at my discretion.

Again, thanks for confirming that I'm not totally nuts. The dealer was acting like this was to be expected. There's even more to the story that I won't go into, in that there have been three delivery dates when he didn't show and came up with excuses. My check cleared on January 2nd, so I'm pretty hot under the collar about it.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 17:52 (106778)

carole, you are definitely not insane -- this is a totally nonstandard way to treat a customer. some people like that lacquered look; many don't. i can't imagine a dealer doing that to a bought piece, unasked, unless he's trying to cover something up, which is what you're suspecting, right? that's what i suspect.

however and whenever and wherever you get a look at the piece again, i'd look it over VERY carefully. i think you may be right, that something got damaged on the way to storage or in storage. i would check for a repaired broken leg, deep scratches that they may have tried to cover up with the lacquer finish, and so on.

you're definitely in luck that frank and his uncle are on the case. his uncle's status should give you a lot of leverage, including a full refund if you're not pleased with the table because of any differences at all since you bought it. i honestly don't know much about refinishing firsthand, because i don't do it (i love old paint). but once something has been lacquered or polyurethaned or whatever they're doing to it, it is a major-major project to undo that, if it can be undone at all. i'm talking days and days of the worst-smelling toxic stripping fluids you can imagine, plus a ton of work.

i have a handwritten sign in my shop for people to check over what they're buying VERY carefully (since i like things that show their age) because 'sales are final.' this is to discourage whimsical buying and returning. but if someone is truly unhappy with something after they get it home, whether it's because of something they failed to notice in the shop or it's because it doesn't go well in their home, i always let them return it. it's good and professional customer relations. needless to say, if something happened to a bought piece before i could deliver it or the customer could pick it up, i would be right upfront about it and offer a full refund, no questions asked, no guilt trip.

stick to your guns, carole, and be sure to look over every inch of that table.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 18:30 (106781)

Thanks, Nancy. I will definitely check it over thoroughly. If I find any deep scratches, broken leg(s), or stains that weren't there before, I'll photograph them and send the photos to Frank to see if he saw anything like that before the purchase since he was with me when I bought it. I know that I sure didn't see any problems with the table, and I remember checking all the legs carefully. The table surface seemed used, but not abused. It was not perfect like a museum piece, but more like something a person could actually use from day to day. I am sure you know what I mean.

If it looks bad, I'll raise Cain and tell Frank to go ahead. He's absolutely livid and 'chomping at the bit' wanting to call his Uncle but I don't think he has yet. I suggested that he wait because this could all turn out perfectly fine on Monday. After we find out, would be a better time to bring in the 'big guns'.

We never told the dealer who Frank's uncle was, and that he had sent us. I'm hoping that we can get this resolved without involving him. With any luck, I won't have to, but I do have that option open to me.

Now that you and I have had this 'little chat', I am thinking more and more that I shouldn't have to fix the table myself. If it's badly damaged, I will ask for a full refund.

Carole C

marie e on 1/25/03 at 20:29 (106796)

I'm not an antique dealer but I do know alot about antiques. It sounds to me that this dealer has something to hide. Nancy's assumptions are probably correct. The piece was more than likely damaged while in storage.
A piece is worth alot more money when it has not been refinished. I would think any antique dealer would know that. Sounds fishy.

I am very active in our historical society and we receive quite a bit of furniture from estates. I have done alot of woodworking and refinishing. I learned about wood and finishing from a Nigerian sculptor so if you need any help with refinishing let me know, Iam not an expert but have had very good success. Good luck...let us know how all this turns out.

marie

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 20:39 (106797)

Thanks for the information, Marie and Nancy. I don't know much of anything about antiques except that they are beautiful. So, it is a big relief to be able to discuss it with people who know something about them.

Marie, your work with the historical society sounds fascinating!

After the discussion with Nancy, I think I won't try to refinish it probably. I haven't refinished anything since the 1960's and I probably should not start on something that cost money, even if it was relatively cheap. I'll try to get my money back if it is really bad. But if I do decide to work on it, I'll let you know, Marie.

I am hoping that on Monday I can post that the table was delivered and is fine. We'll see.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 06:38 (106816)

marie is right.

and if you did want to do any refinishing, it should have been up to you, carole, not to that guy. if he's done anything to make the table a way you don't want it to be, you should not have to be the one to fix it. if you could trust him, i'd say make him fix it, but since he's not trustworthy, i'd simply expect a full refund of the money you paid and find another table.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 08:03 (106820)

I agree. He told me that he hadn't yet started on the refinishing, but then he's told me a lot of stuff that didn't turn out to be quite right. So, if he did start, I'll demand my money back and go to my other antique store which treats me better.

Also, even if he had mentioned refinishing it when I bought it, I would still have asked to see an example of something he had refinished before giving my OK. Since he says he 'does this to everything he sells', it shouldn't be too hard for him to show me an example so that I could see what he had in mind. That's another reason why I'm aggravated with him. I suspect that he wanted to put a lot of lacquer on it which may not be the most desirable thing for a table that one plans to actually use to write on and to do projects on.

Life has enough aggravations built in, to have to make buying a nice antique become another aggravation. That's supposed to be the part of life to bring one some pleasure and happiness.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/26/03 at 16:45 (106899)

Carole, I have no experience with dealing with purchasing antiques, but more than one 'red flag' seemed to go off when reading your posts. One time of not showing up when promised could be overlooked, but a pattern really seems suspicious.

I wouldn't hesitate to involve Frank's uncle if necessary for this to be taken care of promptly.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 18:11 (106906)

Thanks, I will post about what happens! I am hoping that tomorrow night the table will arrive in good shape, and I'm trying to keep a positive outlook.

Frank may or may not have contacted his uncle already. His e-mail was ambiguous. I answered it saying that I didn't think it was his uncle's fault, and suggesting that he wait, but he didn't say anything else about it. He insisted that I should e-mail him immediately tomorrow evening as soon as I can let him know what happened.

He also said that he understands how I feel. Between him and all of you here, it is so helpful to get this much support. I've got to say that I'm sick of typing on the dining table, with my printers and half a dozen other computer devices scattered all over the bed in my guest bedroom, and the contents of my desk in numerous shoeboxes, piled in the closet, and my furniture moved out of the way of the movers, and even an oil painting taken down to protect it. It's bad enough to have one's furniture disrupted (right, Nancy?) but it didn't really have to be this way all weekend.

Who but this group would understand why I have PLENTY of shoeboxes in which to put my desk contents!! ROFL I could never run out any more. Now, if I'd had any sense, I'd put the pencils and pens in the New Balance box, the paperclips and rubberbands in the Tatami box, and so on! :)

Carole C

Necee on 1/27/03 at 08:00 (106937)

Hi Carole,
I was away for the weekend and just now read your message about your desk.
Like the others have mentioned, I would be very suspecious of this dealer.
His actions are not at all in line with what a reputable dealer would do.
I would suggest that you march right over there and demand to see your desk, and if he refuses, then ask for your money back. It is not at all normal for a dealer to refinish a piece of sold furniture without the buyers ok, I've never in my life heard of such a thing, this just sounds so bizarre!
Now, in case you do have to refinish it, I can give you my advice on that. I've refinished many pieces myself, and believe me, you don't want to use sandpaper. If you want I'll email you the process we use.
Good luck, and please keep us posted on what this guy says and does.
Just raise a rukus if you have to, thats probably what it's going to take in order to get him to respond.

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 11:22 (106981)

Thanks, Necee! I appreciate the feedback and support.

The desk isn't in the store now; it's in storage, so I can't go to see it. However, he's supposed to deliver it tonight at 7 PM. That's less than 8 hours so I guess I will wait.

If he doesn't deliver it tonight in reasonably good shape, I may ask for my money back. I'm not sure. I'm counting on the possibility that he will bring it and that it will turn out to be fine.

The more I think about it, the more I think I probably have no business even trying to refinish it since I don't know what I'm doing. So thanks for the offer, but I am rapidly becoming too chicken to take you up on it.

If I ever buy another piece of furniture from him, which is not likely, I won't pay a cent until it's been delivered and I've determined that it is as I expect.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 16:49 (106770)

carole, i'm amazed by this dealer's behavior.

first and foremost, you NEVER refinish without a request or go-ahead from the buyer. that makes no sense. many people don't even want a refinishing, and if they do, it's usually discussed and a charge is added. i don't touch a piece someone has bought as is, period. i like most everything 'as is' anyway, and that's clear from my shop (!), so i almost never run into this even as a question. but i have to tell you, i've been in the business nine years now, and i never heard of a dealer refinishing something without it being part of the bargain.

second, that he says he'll deliver and chronically never shows up without calling is very unprofessional. i'm sorry to say he sounds unreliable to me.

my suspicion antennae are OUT and SENSING! if i were you, i'd get right over there and examine the table. if he has any business sense at all, and you don't like what he's done (or what has happened) to the table, he'll refund your money. demand that he do so if something has gone wrong.

if the table is all right and he's just negligent in delivering it, at this point i'd tell him if he doesn't deliver it on monday as promised that i'll call the better business bureau and raise whatever other ruckus you can think of.

since tomorrow is sunday, can you go there and look at the table?

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 17:26 (106775)

Nancy, thank you for confirming that I'm not totally insane. I just couldn't believe that he was going to refinish it without even asking me! I was wondering if maybe I was being unreasonable or a raving lunatic but from what you've said, thank goodness I stuck to my guns.

I was really upset with him this morning, especially since I let him choose the time to deliver, he chose 8 AM this morning, and then never showed. I spent Thursday night and last night finishing the long process of emptying out my old desk (which he promised to remove), and putting the contents in drawers and boxes in the closet. Then I moved any furniture that might get in the way of the delivery men and even took down one large oil painting located at a tight corner. I set up my computer on the dining room table. I set my alarm and this morning I got up early, which is not my idea of a fun thing to do on a Saturday. Then I sat by the window for three hours before calling him. Then he gives me this song and dance about refinishing it, which he had never mentioned before. He says it would be free, but honestly I don't want a lacquer finish at all; I like the soft, natural oak finish that was on it when I bought it.

I can't look at the table tomorrow, because he removed it to a storage location (part of the deal was that he'd store it for me for a week or two, until I was ready for it). From something that he said, I think the storage location is in one of his helpers' homes.

If he doesn't deliver on Monday, I think I can bring down plenty of trouble on him and I'm so furious that I sure will. He was recommended by Frank's uncle, who has been a big time antique wholesaler in New Orleans for many years and is quite a rich and powerful man around here. Frank was furious when I e-mailed him about this, and he wants to call his uncle long distance about it. If I want to, I can ensure that this dealer's reputation is badly damaged (which means something in a 'large small town' like New Orleans). Also I'm thinking that maybe Frank's uncle could get my money back or some reparation.

Frank also thinks that the table was probably damaged while being stored in somebody's home, and that that is what this is all about. I think the dealer should come clean, and stop being so deceptive. If there is any damage he could give me an allowance for any damage that occurred or refund my money, at my discretion.

Again, thanks for confirming that I'm not totally nuts. The dealer was acting like this was to be expected. There's even more to the story that I won't go into, in that there have been three delivery dates when he didn't show and came up with excuses. My check cleared on January 2nd, so I'm pretty hot under the collar about it.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/25/03 at 17:52 (106778)

carole, you are definitely not insane -- this is a totally nonstandard way to treat a customer. some people like that lacquered look; many don't. i can't imagine a dealer doing that to a bought piece, unasked, unless he's trying to cover something up, which is what you're suspecting, right? that's what i suspect.

however and whenever and wherever you get a look at the piece again, i'd look it over VERY carefully. i think you may be right, that something got damaged on the way to storage or in storage. i would check for a repaired broken leg, deep scratches that they may have tried to cover up with the lacquer finish, and so on.

you're definitely in luck that frank and his uncle are on the case. his uncle's status should give you a lot of leverage, including a full refund if you're not pleased with the table because of any differences at all since you bought it. i honestly don't know much about refinishing firsthand, because i don't do it (i love old paint). but once something has been lacquered or polyurethaned or whatever they're doing to it, it is a major-major project to undo that, if it can be undone at all. i'm talking days and days of the worst-smelling toxic stripping fluids you can imagine, plus a ton of work.

i have a handwritten sign in my shop for people to check over what they're buying VERY carefully (since i like things that show their age) because 'sales are final.' this is to discourage whimsical buying and returning. but if someone is truly unhappy with something after they get it home, whether it's because of something they failed to notice in the shop or it's because it doesn't go well in their home, i always let them return it. it's good and professional customer relations. needless to say, if something happened to a bought piece before i could deliver it or the customer could pick it up, i would be right upfront about it and offer a full refund, no questions asked, no guilt trip.

stick to your guns, carole, and be sure to look over every inch of that table.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 18:30 (106781)

Thanks, Nancy. I will definitely check it over thoroughly. If I find any deep scratches, broken leg(s), or stains that weren't there before, I'll photograph them and send the photos to Frank to see if he saw anything like that before the purchase since he was with me when I bought it. I know that I sure didn't see any problems with the table, and I remember checking all the legs carefully. The table surface seemed used, but not abused. It was not perfect like a museum piece, but more like something a person could actually use from day to day. I am sure you know what I mean.

If it looks bad, I'll raise Cain and tell Frank to go ahead. He's absolutely livid and 'chomping at the bit' wanting to call his Uncle but I don't think he has yet. I suggested that he wait because this could all turn out perfectly fine on Monday. After we find out, would be a better time to bring in the 'big guns'.

We never told the dealer who Frank's uncle was, and that he had sent us. I'm hoping that we can get this resolved without involving him. With any luck, I won't have to, but I do have that option open to me.

Now that you and I have had this 'little chat', I am thinking more and more that I shouldn't have to fix the table myself. If it's badly damaged, I will ask for a full refund.

Carole C

marie e on 1/25/03 at 20:29 (106796)

I'm not an antique dealer but I do know alot about antiques. It sounds to me that this dealer has something to hide. Nancy's assumptions are probably correct. The piece was more than likely damaged while in storage.
A piece is worth alot more money when it has not been refinished. I would think any antique dealer would know that. Sounds fishy.

I am very active in our historical society and we receive quite a bit of furniture from estates. I have done alot of woodworking and refinishing. I learned about wood and finishing from a Nigerian sculptor so if you need any help with refinishing let me know, Iam not an expert but have had very good success. Good luck...let us know how all this turns out.

marie

Carole C in NOLA on 1/25/03 at 20:39 (106797)

Thanks for the information, Marie and Nancy. I don't know much of anything about antiques except that they are beautiful. So, it is a big relief to be able to discuss it with people who know something about them.

Marie, your work with the historical society sounds fascinating!

After the discussion with Nancy, I think I won't try to refinish it probably. I haven't refinished anything since the 1960's and I probably should not start on something that cost money, even if it was relatively cheap. I'll try to get my money back if it is really bad. But if I do decide to work on it, I'll let you know, Marie.

I am hoping that on Monday I can post that the table was delivered and is fine. We'll see.

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 06:38 (106816)

marie is right.

and if you did want to do any refinishing, it should have been up to you, carole, not to that guy. if he's done anything to make the table a way you don't want it to be, you should not have to be the one to fix it. if you could trust him, i'd say make him fix it, but since he's not trustworthy, i'd simply expect a full refund of the money you paid and find another table.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 08:03 (106820)

I agree. He told me that he hadn't yet started on the refinishing, but then he's told me a lot of stuff that didn't turn out to be quite right. So, if he did start, I'll demand my money back and go to my other antique store which treats me better.

Also, even if he had mentioned refinishing it when I bought it, I would still have asked to see an example of something he had refinished before giving my OK. Since he says he 'does this to everything he sells', it shouldn't be too hard for him to show me an example so that I could see what he had in mind. That's another reason why I'm aggravated with him. I suspect that he wanted to put a lot of lacquer on it which may not be the most desirable thing for a table that one plans to actually use to write on and to do projects on.

Life has enough aggravations built in, to have to make buying a nice antique become another aggravation. That's supposed to be the part of life to bring one some pleasure and happiness.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/26/03 at 16:45 (106899)

Carole, I have no experience with dealing with purchasing antiques, but more than one 'red flag' seemed to go off when reading your posts. One time of not showing up when promised could be overlooked, but a pattern really seems suspicious.

I wouldn't hesitate to involve Frank's uncle if necessary for this to be taken care of promptly.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 18:11 (106906)

Thanks, I will post about what happens! I am hoping that tomorrow night the table will arrive in good shape, and I'm trying to keep a positive outlook.

Frank may or may not have contacted his uncle already. His e-mail was ambiguous. I answered it saying that I didn't think it was his uncle's fault, and suggesting that he wait, but he didn't say anything else about it. He insisted that I should e-mail him immediately tomorrow evening as soon as I can let him know what happened.

He also said that he understands how I feel. Between him and all of you here, it is so helpful to get this much support. I've got to say that I'm sick of typing on the dining table, with my printers and half a dozen other computer devices scattered all over the bed in my guest bedroom, and the contents of my desk in numerous shoeboxes, piled in the closet, and my furniture moved out of the way of the movers, and even an oil painting taken down to protect it. It's bad enough to have one's furniture disrupted (right, Nancy?) but it didn't really have to be this way all weekend.

Who but this group would understand why I have PLENTY of shoeboxes in which to put my desk contents!! ROFL I could never run out any more. Now, if I'd had any sense, I'd put the pencils and pens in the New Balance box, the paperclips and rubberbands in the Tatami box, and so on! :)

Carole C

Necee on 1/27/03 at 08:00 (106937)

Hi Carole,
I was away for the weekend and just now read your message about your desk.
Like the others have mentioned, I would be very suspecious of this dealer.
His actions are not at all in line with what a reputable dealer would do.
I would suggest that you march right over there and demand to see your desk, and if he refuses, then ask for your money back. It is not at all normal for a dealer to refinish a piece of sold furniture without the buyers ok, I've never in my life heard of such a thing, this just sounds so bizarre!
Now, in case you do have to refinish it, I can give you my advice on that. I've refinished many pieces myself, and believe me, you don't want to use sandpaper. If you want I'll email you the process we use.
Good luck, and please keep us posted on what this guy says and does.
Just raise a rukus if you have to, thats probably what it's going to take in order to get him to respond.

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 11:22 (106981)

Thanks, Necee! I appreciate the feedback and support.

The desk isn't in the store now; it's in storage, so I can't go to see it. However, he's supposed to deliver it tonight at 7 PM. That's less than 8 hours so I guess I will wait.

If he doesn't deliver it tonight in reasonably good shape, I may ask for my money back. I'm not sure. I'm counting on the possibility that he will bring it and that it will turn out to be fine.

The more I think about it, the more I think I probably have no business even trying to refinish it since I don't know what I'm doing. So thanks for the offer, but I am rapidly becoming too chicken to take you up on it.

If I ever buy another piece of furniture from him, which is not likely, I won't pay a cent until it's been delivered and I've determined that it is as I expect.

Carole C