Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fibromyalgia

Posted by marie e on 1/25/03 at 21:06 (106800)

Well after several friends and some of you guys here have brought up the subject of fibromyalgia I decided to look it up on the internet...just a look see if some of my symptoms correlate. Surprise I have several...including some weird ones that I have been complaining about for several months but didn't see how they fit in with my tts. I haven't seen these symptoms listed anywhere else so it took me by surprise.

1. Many fibro patients have a chronic pain condition
2. Many have IBS...that's me
3. Have problems with names and naming things. Yes I do and it's kinda weird to look at something and know what it is and can't think of the name. I have a hard time with peoples names some I've known for a long time...I look at them and its scary cause I can't think of their name.
4. Tight muscles....I have them yes i do
5. Rubber band sensations...oh yeah.
6. Feels like there is a bruise but there isn't one there. My doctors think I am nuts when I tell them this.
7. Early menopause...sorry ladies and gents but it's my reality
8. chronic headaches...I eat advil like jelly beans
9. dizzy in the car while reading...can't read in the car I'll throw up.
10. TMJ...yes dx along time ago
11. sinus condition
12. sleep disruption and always feeling exhausted even after a good nights sleep.
13. Anxiety and depression....well if this list doesn't stress me out I don't know what will.

Wish me luck! If you can call this lucky.

Re: Fibromyalgia

carynz on 1/26/03 at 10:49 (106839)

hi marie,

fibromyalgia is a condition not a diagnosis because the doctors are unable to determine what it is! There are 18 trigger points used to test for the condition and if you test for 11 out of 18 as positive then they put it down as fibromyalgia. For those who suffer it is painful to say the least and does really affect the quality of life but some medications seem to work for some of the time. Right now I am using a product made by Likota which is all natural and made in Dawson Creek BC Canada. There are no chemicals or additives in this product and it was originally developed for racehorses legs to relieve the stiffness in their joints and muscle spasms. Now it has been marketed to vitamin/health food stores and I have had some relief with the product, not very expensive either.

Have you been tested yet or are you going to be tested to see if you do have fibromyalgia?

take care of yourself,
cheers
caryn

wendyn on 1/26/03 at 13:52 (106859)

Guess that explains why my doctors never checked me for it - despite the fact that I have most of the symptoms.

One of the first questions has always been 'How's your energy level?' - since mind is great, I guess that's why they've never pursued it.

marie e on 1/26/03 at 15:43 (106882)

Well I hav been tested for everything else....MS, Lupus, Lyme Disease, arthritis, etc....and I'm clear of them. All of drs have suggested the possibility of a somatic disorder. I guess it's time. I am going to talk to my gp monday. Something isn't right. And if it's not all of the things I have been tested for and honestly other than the tts blues I don't think I'm crazy. I have had problems with a stiff neck for years....really bad from 1994-97. My neck is great for detecting the weather....this may not be fibro but I think I should check it out. I have come this far with alot of tests and I am still not well...better than last spring but it's not right.

thanks, marie

Re: testings

Marty on 1/26/03 at 15:58 (106888)

Are all those test MS, Lupus, Lyme, arthritis etc..... separate test?

marie e on 1/26/03 at 19:04 (106910)

Lupus, lyme disease, arthritis, anemia, cancer, thyroid, vitamin deficiencies, diabetes, are blood tets. There is no definitive test for MS....it's a process of elimination with a few things present...like lesions on your brain or spine, a lumbar puncture will show the presence of anti-bodies that fight off infection in your spine, and the presence of optic neuritis and symptoms. I have had a cholestoral check, a EKG, EMG, and a TEE all to check my heart. I am in very good health except for my feet, calves, knees and thighs. It's been interesting to say the least.

marie

Marty on 1/26/03 at 20:43 (106923)

Sheesh!

You have been down the road and back gal!

Marty

Margie C on 1/26/03 at 22:27 (106928)

Marie,

I can't believe it! I have Fibromyalgia along with the TTS. I blamed the TTS pain on fibro for a long time, until I finally went to a podiatrist. I've never heard about all of those other symptoms you mentioned being a part of Fibro. I have many of them. I am stunned. I don't really know why I'm stunned, I guess I just feel more validated. The symptoms I have that you mentioned are IBS, severe trouble remembering names and words, muscle tightness, painful spots that, when touched, feel like someone is jamming their fist into a large deep bruise, early menopause (I'm only 35) and TMJ.

What made me finally see the podiatrist was when I went to my regular doctor complaining of severe pain in my feet and she asked me if it was from the fibro and I simply didn't know. Then I realized that the Neurontin had really helped with the rest of my pain, but it hadn't helped the foot pain much at all (before I got permission to increase the dosage).

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Margie

Re: Fibromyalgia - and thanks to Marie

Kathy G on 1/28/03 at 09:26 (107123)

Whoa, I have to tell you guys that I am how relieved I am since reading Marie's first post! I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia quite some time ago but have never really pursued it to any degree. I mean, I take the Amitriptiline (for sleep), Vioxx (for inflammation) and Zoloft (for chronic pain) but I've never really researched it that carefully. I have this theory that it's one of those conditions that could easily lead to neurotic hypochondria and I just didn't want to run the risk. I mean, I've obviously had it for years and years but it has gotten worse in the last couple. This clearly illustrates how dumb it is not to be informed.

For the last couple of years, I frequently can't think of a word. I've never remembered names so that's not new but sometimes I'll be tallking (which I do a lot of), and I'll suddenly go blank and have to wait for a word to come to me. I have seriously thought that I might be suffering from early stages of Alzheimers Disease. I kid you not. I haven't mentioned it to anyone and I haven't allowed myself to dwell on it but the thought is there. I had no idea that was part of the Fibro!

And that part about the bruise. I often get that but again, I don't tell anyone because I decided a long time ago that I just have a weird body and since nothing ever comes of it, why pay any attention to it? I mean, the pain goes away and there's never a bruise. But I experience so many of the symptoms you listed, Marie, that it's unbelievable!

I can't tell you what a relief it is to learn about the memory thing. Where did you find that info? Thank you so much!! You have no idea how relieved I am! I had no idea how worried I was until I just read your post. And to think that I don't always come to the TTS boards! Thank goodness I did today!

Julie on 1/28/03 at 10:35 (107132)

Kathy

I'll bet this will encourage you to read 'All Messages Posted Since Your Last Visit' from now on!

It's definitely the best way to miss no messages! And there is always fascinating information on the TTS board. I'm so glad you got reassurance and relief from Marie's post.

carynz on 1/26/03 at 10:49 (106839)

hi marie,

fibromyalgia is a condition not a diagnosis because the doctors are unable to determine what it is! There are 18 trigger points used to test for the condition and if you test for 11 out of 18 as positive then they put it down as fibromyalgia. For those who suffer it is painful to say the least and does really affect the quality of life but some medications seem to work for some of the time. Right now I am using a product made by Likota which is all natural and made in Dawson Creek BC Canada. There are no chemicals or additives in this product and it was originally developed for racehorses legs to relieve the stiffness in their joints and muscle spasms. Now it has been marketed to vitamin/health food stores and I have had some relief with the product, not very expensive either.

Have you been tested yet or are you going to be tested to see if you do have fibromyalgia?

take care of yourself,
cheers
caryn

wendyn on 1/26/03 at 13:52 (106859)

Guess that explains why my doctors never checked me for it - despite the fact that I have most of the symptoms.

One of the first questions has always been 'How's your energy level?' - since mind is great, I guess that's why they've never pursued it.

marie e on 1/26/03 at 15:43 (106882)

Well I hav been tested for everything else....MS, Lupus, Lyme Disease, arthritis, etc....and I'm clear of them. All of drs have suggested the possibility of a somatic disorder. I guess it's time. I am going to talk to my gp monday. Something isn't right. And if it's not all of the things I have been tested for and honestly other than the tts blues I don't think I'm crazy. I have had problems with a stiff neck for years....really bad from 1994-97. My neck is great for detecting the weather....this may not be fibro but I think I should check it out. I have come this far with alot of tests and I am still not well...better than last spring but it's not right.

thanks, marie

Marty on 1/26/03 at 15:58 (106888)

Are all those test MS, Lupus, Lyme, arthritis etc..... separate test?

marie e on 1/26/03 at 19:04 (106910)

Lupus, lyme disease, arthritis, anemia, cancer, thyroid, vitamin deficiencies, diabetes, are blood tets. There is no definitive test for MS....it's a process of elimination with a few things present...like lesions on your brain or spine, a lumbar puncture will show the presence of anti-bodies that fight off infection in your spine, and the presence of optic neuritis and symptoms. I have had a cholestoral check, a EKG, EMG, and a TEE all to check my heart. I am in very good health except for my feet, calves, knees and thighs. It's been interesting to say the least.

marie

Marty on 1/26/03 at 20:43 (106923)

Sheesh!

You have been down the road and back gal!

Marty

Margie C on 1/26/03 at 22:27 (106928)

Marie,

I can't believe it! I have Fibromyalgia along with the TTS. I blamed the TTS pain on fibro for a long time, until I finally went to a podiatrist. I've never heard about all of those other symptoms you mentioned being a part of Fibro. I have many of them. I am stunned. I don't really know why I'm stunned, I guess I just feel more validated. The symptoms I have that you mentioned are IBS, severe trouble remembering names and words, muscle tightness, painful spots that, when touched, feel like someone is jamming their fist into a large deep bruise, early menopause (I'm only 35) and TMJ.

What made me finally see the podiatrist was when I went to my regular doctor complaining of severe pain in my feet and she asked me if it was from the fibro and I simply didn't know. Then I realized that the Neurontin had really helped with the rest of my pain, but it hadn't helped the foot pain much at all (before I got permission to increase the dosage).

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Margie

Kathy G on 1/28/03 at 09:26 (107123)

Whoa, I have to tell you guys that I am how relieved I am since reading Marie's first post! I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia quite some time ago but have never really pursued it to any degree. I mean, I take the Amitriptiline (for sleep), Vioxx (for inflammation) and Zoloft (for chronic pain) but I've never really researched it that carefully. I have this theory that it's one of those conditions that could easily lead to neurotic hypochondria and I just didn't want to run the risk. I mean, I've obviously had it for years and years but it has gotten worse in the last couple. This clearly illustrates how dumb it is not to be informed.

For the last couple of years, I frequently can't think of a word. I've never remembered names so that's not new but sometimes I'll be tallking (which I do a lot of), and I'll suddenly go blank and have to wait for a word to come to me. I have seriously thought that I might be suffering from early stages of Alzheimers Disease. I kid you not. I haven't mentioned it to anyone and I haven't allowed myself to dwell on it but the thought is there. I had no idea that was part of the Fibro!

And that part about the bruise. I often get that but again, I don't tell anyone because I decided a long time ago that I just have a weird body and since nothing ever comes of it, why pay any attention to it? I mean, the pain goes away and there's never a bruise. But I experience so many of the symptoms you listed, Marie, that it's unbelievable!

I can't tell you what a relief it is to learn about the memory thing. Where did you find that info? Thank you so much!! You have no idea how relieved I am! I had no idea how worried I was until I just read your post. And to think that I don't always come to the TTS boards! Thank goodness I did today!

Julie on 1/28/03 at 10:35 (107132)

Kathy

I'll bet this will encourage you to read 'All Messages Posted Since Your Last Visit' from now on!

It's definitely the best way to miss no messages! And there is always fascinating information on the TTS board. I'm so glad you got reassurance and relief from Marie's post.