Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My poor frozen garden - - question for gardeners too

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 12:34 (106844)

The freezing temperatures are gone, but my poor yard! I didn't know what to cover or not, since this is my first yard in New Orleans and it has a lot of unusual and beautiful plantings.

The banana trees were TOTALED... brown and a big mess. So, I headed out with my good ol' box cutter and started chopping the rest of them completely off at 3 feet high. The box cutter, plus tugging, seemed to work for those up to 4-6' trunk diameter. I also did a half dozen or so that are 6-8' trunk diameter, but this required diligently carving a wedge on the side where I wanted it to fall. One that was 8' required carving a wedge all around, and then carving deeper inside the wedge, but I eventually got it to topple.

I took down 30-40 banana trees. I have more than I thought! And I quit when only about 2/3 finished with the yard, to rest for a while. I left the largest banana tree which is about 10' in diameter I think. I may have to buy a saw for that one (I doubt they really sell machetes in our local garden shops, though that would be ideal). I'm not sure if I have to bag them up for the trash people or not. Some of those trunks are really heavy, so maybe I'll bag up the leaves and stack the trunks like cordwood for the trash men.

Also, some of my beautiful foliage in the bed outside the living room window has turned half brown, though it was fine right before the freeze. I should have covered it up but I didn't know that. It's the green and yellow foliage in the foreground of this photo: http://www.geocities.com/clcinnola/frontplantings.jpg

Anybody have an idea of what I should do about the plant in that photo? (or what it is? LOL) Thanks.

Carole C

Re: My poor frozen garden - - question for gardeners too

wendyn on 1/26/03 at 13:50 (106857)

Can't access that page Carole....?

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 14:43 (106864)

i can't access your photo either, carole. i think you haven't paid your yahoo dues or something.

now, my bigger problem is this: i'm trying to imagine the size of a yard that has had 30-40 banana trees cut down, and the cutter isn't even done yet. plus i'm assuming that some banana trees are left uncut. is your house on 450 acres or what? you neglected to tell us when you bought this house that you were buying a ranch or plantation or whatever it is you've got there!

but it sounds like you're having fun and getting a good workout, so more power to you! i still think you should order that machete brian found for you, though.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 15:31 (106879)

Drat! Sorry about the photo. I don't pay dues to yahoo since it's a free account, but I know what's wrong now that I'm thinking. They don't let people go to graphics there. I'll put it on an html page as soon as I finish this post, and that should cure the problem.

My yard is really not very big! My lot is a regular 50x100 city lot, and my house and front yard take up a lot of that. The prior owner just had beautiful banana trees all along the fence in the back yard, and a lot of them had babies and so on. I didn't think there were as many as there were. The smaller ones, with 2' trunks, are only about 5' tall and only took one or two swipes with the box-cutter. Lots of times the small ones grow pretty close to one another, too, just a foot or so apart and sometimes less. The larger ones are harder to chop off. It only took me an hour, but it's definitely a good work-out! I stopped when my heart was 'pitty-pat'-ing hard enough to tell me it was time. No need to over-do.

People in this area say that you can't be too 'mean' to banana trees, because they always come back and are kind of a pest. I like the foliage, so I hope they're right because I just chopped 'em off mercilessly at a yard high! lol

I just went to Home Depot and got a box of 50 trash bags. I also got a small handsaw, thinking that I might have other uses for it (besides sawing down banana trees), and that it might possibly work. We'll see. :)

Rather than ordering the machete, I think that next year if/when the tree trimming service comes to the door I'll hire them. This year they said they were already in the area, and would give me a discount, but I sent them away. How foolish of me! LOL

Carole C

Re: PHOTO FIXED... this link should work (sorry!)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 15:40 (106881)

http://www.geocities.com/clcinnola/frontplantings.html

marie e on 1/26/03 at 15:55 (106887)

Cut it back. Cut all of the brown foilage off. and give it a good trim. Is it mushy? Is there anything healthy and green looking left? Don't know the name of the plant...loooks like it has waxy leaves. Aeriate the soil about a foot around. Wait for it to heel a little bit before you fertilize it. Wait for spring....or you can yank it now and replace with a new plant. Me I'd yank it...sorry I'm a ruthless gardner. If it didn't withstand this cold...what will happen the next you guys get cold? And there will be cold...mabie a few years but it will happen. I prefer hardy step on, cold and drought tolerant plants.

marie

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 16:09 (106892)

It's not mushy, but then the freeze was only during the past two nights. The leaves are about half brown. How does one aeriate the soil? It's heavily and deeply mulched with a wood chip type mulch.

If I'm going to yank it and replace it, I'll wait for a few weeks until I'm sure the weather is going to stay about 50 or above.

A lot of plants seem to have been hurt by this hard freeze, that haven't had problems every year. I am not sure how many years or decades it's been since New Orleans saw such a freeze. Probably if I had been aware that it needed to be covered during the freeze, it would be fine. I feel like I'm learning about gardening here the hard way!

Carole C

Re: Carole, photo...

Suzanne D on 1/26/03 at 16:39 (106896)

Carole, I really don't know much about plants and am not very good with them. But I just wanted to tell you how pretty the front of your house is! I love the combination of the brick color and the shutters. Do you know what the color name is for the shutters? 'Seafoam green' or 'willow green' come to mind. I love colors and their names.

Good luck with bringing your plants around. I wish I had better luck with them. My grandmother would stick every little twig or start of a plant she found in an old washtub or pot that was cracked or had the handle missing. And they would all grow and be beautiful! I should have paid more attention to what she did!

I just wanted to tell you how pretty your photo was.

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 18:00 (106905)

Thank you, Suzanne! I think the previous owner did a wonderful job of the colors. The side door has New Orleans style iron grill work that's painted the same seafoam green color as the shutters, though I don't know the actual name of that color. Inside, the den is basically taupe but I added a carpet and sofa that use much of the seafoam green color too. I love the taupe, too, though I may someday paint the crown molding and elaborate framework around the French doors a slightly lighter or somehow different color, so that it shows up more.

You can see the entry to the front door area in the photo, beyond the gas lamp, but you can't see the cute little 'jumping frog' bronze doorbell. The previous owner was a widow my age who lived there alone, and who sadly was killed by a drunk driver. I think I would have liked her a lot. I constantly enjoy finding new details and such things about the house, that I like. I hope I didn't butcher the banana trees that she had in the back. LOL

Carole C

marie e on 1/26/03 at 18:50 (106908)

Hey that's the only way to learn how to garden. To aeriate the soil pull back the mulch and take a hand rake...or small garden shovel, or weed puller...stab the soil about 1-2 inches deep aaaall around. Don't use the machette or the box cutter. Rake lightly. Replace the mulch.

How long have you lived in New Oreleans? It seems they are getting this type of crazy weather more often. Cover your plants with a thick sheet of bisquine next time just to be safe. If the ground didn't freeze to deeply some of your bannana trees may come back. My parents lost theirs in a freeze and they used to live in Sarasota. Sounds like you have a beautiful piece of property. I loved the photo you posted.

marie

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 19:03 (106909)

what's wrong with the plant in the photo? i don't see anything wrong. it all looks just fine to me.

but then, i am a plant idiot. most plants look fine to me, including a huge one we had growing in our tiny yard all summer, leaning out over the fence and touching summer tourists on the sidewalk and so on. turned out to be 'giant hogweed,' a toxic plant that the federal gov't and a number of state gov'ts have outlawed. it's on their plant 'Most Wanted' posters: kill on sight. i was horrified when i found out! phil covered himself with plastic and dug the thing out as best he could. we're hoping it doesn't reappear in the spring, but it probably will.

you should listen to marie -- she sounds like she knows what she's talking about.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 19:21 (106916)

I've lived in Louisiana for six years, and no, we haven't had this weather at all since I've been here. I think they did maybe 10-15 years ago but I'm not sure. Now that I have a good idea of which of these unknown plants can survive a freeze and which ones can't, it makes a little more sense to cover those that can't like I used to do for years with the more tender plants when I lived in Texas. I really couldn't see covering the entire yard.

Thanks for the compliments on the photo. To someone else it might be just another house, but to me it's my new house and home and I am trying to learn about it. I wish the two hurricanes one week after the other, and the two 13 hour hard freezes one day after the other, could have waited until the second year that I had the place. Maybe I am just lucky to have so many 'learning experiences' all in one six month period.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 19:22 (106917)

The photo was taken last fall.

Carole C

marie e on 1/26/03 at 20:27 (106922)

Too funny!!! I am sorry I didn't mean for you to cover your whole yard. Just the delicate plants. I suppose it was at least 15 years ago that my folks lived in FL. Can't believe it has been that long.

New Orleans is a beautiful area...I bet you like it.

later marie

Kathy G on 1/27/03 at 08:23 (106939)

Carole,

If you haven't already yanked the plants, why don't you go to the local garden supply store and ask the people there what you should do? I'll bet someone at even a Home Depot type place would know. The plants that have been affected by the freeze might just throw up some new shoots on their own and then you can eliminate the brown. Just a thought.....but gardeners love to give advice to us novices, so if you can find one with experience, you're in luck.

Once again, I have to tell you how beautiful your house is. It is just exactly the way I think a house in New Orleans should look! It's too bad you've had so many different types of odd weather this first year. I wish we had banana trees in NE. We have some tall pines tha we need to replace and I want to replace them with something that grows fast but doesn't have water-seeking roots.

Oh, I just thought of something. Give me a while and I'll give you the address of a great gardening website with message boards I used to go to. The posters were amazing and if you post your question, along with your picture, you'll get a ton of ideas. The people on it helped me a couple of years ago when I had a large group of lillies-of-the-valley to transplant. I don't have it bookmarked on this computer, though, so I'll have to think and search a bit to find it. When I do, I'll let you know.

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 08:44 (106942)

oops, sorry! apparently i lost some extra brain cells yesterday. i'll be quiet now.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 10:45 (106969)

I haven't yanked them. I think your idea is probably a good one. Maybe if I take in a leaf, someone there will know what it is and be able to advise me.

I noticed that the plant(s) of that type that were closest to the house appear undamaged... it's just the half that are closer to the lawn, in that bed. That's encouraging. Maybe they will recover, or if not maybe the plant(s) closer to the house would just spread some.

I've heard that there is a banana plant that grows in climates such as Boston, but I think that you have to yank it out and store it over the winter in pots inside. I've been doing searches on 'banana trees' and 'freeze', and I noticed that when reading the articles that I found. With all these banana trees, I asked a lot of people around here a few months ago whether or not the roots would disturb the foundation of my house. Everyone said emphatically 'no', that banana roots just aren't a problem in the way that other tree roots can be. That was good to know.

That sounds like a good gardening website! I found one for Louisiana gardening, but they had only had one or two posts since last summer so I didn't try posting about it. Thanks. :)

Although I have no material on Louisiana gardening at all, I have some old books about gardening in California. I plan to browse through them today. Maybe one of them has a photo of this same plant.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 10:51 (106972)

(giggle) Nancy, you can't have lost many brain cells. After all, you're just a youngster. I think it was me who lost a few brain cells, because I never did say when the photo was taken. Yesterday I was kind of steamed about the table, and the freeze damage, and a bunch of stuff. So, pardon my terse response!

Today when the alarm rang, I decided that it was a good day to use some sick leave and regain my good humor. (No, Julie, not the ice cream! my good mood. LOL) So maybe I can refrain from being so terse in my responses today.

Carole C

Re: Carole

Kathy G on 1/27/03 at 13:39 (107009)

Carole,

Thw only website I can remember is Gardenweb.com. That's not the one that I got the help on my lilies from but I just checked and they have a forum on banana trees!

Hope it helps! And I do think that that plant may come back on its own. Plants like that, and I'm guessing it's a Bromeliad of some sort, are very resilient.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 14:34 (107022)

Thanks, Kathy! :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 19:08 (107059)

carole, let's say we both miss a few brain cells! no worry about your 'terse' response. you have more important things to tend to here, like your most helpful posts to people on the treatments board.

it's now 8:04 here, which i THINK means 7:04 your time, and although i'm extremely tired, i 'm hoping to read before i go to bed that your table was delivered in fine condition.

nancy

Re: Table delivered! (whew) End of story!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 19:51 (107068)

They got here right on time, and delivered the table. It has some minor damage but nothing that I can't live with, given the fact that it was so inexpensive. At one end, it looks like it got a little wet sometime in the past which made the wood a little darker. It's not damp now, though. Also, there's a scratch on the leg at that end. However I will never see the scratch because it's in a corner, and the slightly darker part of the top will be under my printer. I think he tried to get rid of it by waxing, and the waxing just made everything (including the dark spot) darker. The end leaves that pull out are lighter in color. But, overall, the part of the table top that people will normally see looks lovely.

I'm pleased with my table; overall, it is very pretty. And, I'll never buy anything from this dealer again. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 21:07 (107076)

congratulations, carole, i'm very glad it all turned out okay and you have the table you wanted. i know you were looking forward to it. right, though, try another store next time you want something old!

nancy

Necee on 1/28/03 at 08:36 (107114)

I'm happy for you Carole!! Thank goodness you don't have to hassle with that guy anymore.
Now you can enjoy your desk, and forget about that unpleasant experience.

Happy trails...

Necee

Suzanne D on 1/28/03 at 10:23 (107130)

Good! I'm so glad; I was wondering how it went and checked quickly here at lunchtime to see if you got the table.

Enjoy it!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/03 at 12:27 (107140)

Thanks, Necee! I have to say that it is so much more pleasant to be typing these words here on my beautiful French table, than it was to type on that ugly old metal desk. I guess whoever said, 'All's well that ends well' was right (Shakespeare, if I'm not mistaken).

The table is just perfect for this small bedroom, with its gracefully flowered wallpaper and lovely wall sconce, display cabinet, and details. Not only that, it didn't cost thousands of dollars so I'm not afraid to use it. Of course, I'll use coasters on it, but I'm not afraid to write on it.

Amazingly, in the long run I guess it was worth the aggravation. Next time I need antiques, I'll skip this guy and instead, go back to the nice people that sold me my old barrister's bookcase.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/03 at 12:27 (107141)

Thanks, Suzanne! I'm so glad to be able to report a happy ending. :)

Carole C

wendyn on 1/26/03 at 13:50 (106857)

Can't access that page Carole....?

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 14:43 (106864)

i can't access your photo either, carole. i think you haven't paid your yahoo dues or something.

now, my bigger problem is this: i'm trying to imagine the size of a yard that has had 30-40 banana trees cut down, and the cutter isn't even done yet. plus i'm assuming that some banana trees are left uncut. is your house on 450 acres or what? you neglected to tell us when you bought this house that you were buying a ranch or plantation or whatever it is you've got there!

but it sounds like you're having fun and getting a good workout, so more power to you! i still think you should order that machete brian found for you, though.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 15:31 (106879)

Drat! Sorry about the photo. I don't pay dues to yahoo since it's a free account, but I know what's wrong now that I'm thinking. They don't let people go to graphics there. I'll put it on an html page as soon as I finish this post, and that should cure the problem.

My yard is really not very big! My lot is a regular 50x100 city lot, and my house and front yard take up a lot of that. The prior owner just had beautiful banana trees all along the fence in the back yard, and a lot of them had babies and so on. I didn't think there were as many as there were. The smaller ones, with 2' trunks, are only about 5' tall and only took one or two swipes with the box-cutter. Lots of times the small ones grow pretty close to one another, too, just a foot or so apart and sometimes less. The larger ones are harder to chop off. It only took me an hour, but it's definitely a good work-out! I stopped when my heart was 'pitty-pat'-ing hard enough to tell me it was time. No need to over-do.

People in this area say that you can't be too 'mean' to banana trees, because they always come back and are kind of a pest. I like the foliage, so I hope they're right because I just chopped 'em off mercilessly at a yard high! lol

I just went to Home Depot and got a box of 50 trash bags. I also got a small handsaw, thinking that I might have other uses for it (besides sawing down banana trees), and that it might possibly work. We'll see. :)

Rather than ordering the machete, I think that next year if/when the tree trimming service comes to the door I'll hire them. This year they said they were already in the area, and would give me a discount, but I sent them away. How foolish of me! LOL

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 15:40 (106881)

http://www.geocities.com/clcinnola/frontplantings.html

marie e on 1/26/03 at 15:55 (106887)

Cut it back. Cut all of the brown foilage off. and give it a good trim. Is it mushy? Is there anything healthy and green looking left? Don't know the name of the plant...loooks like it has waxy leaves. Aeriate the soil about a foot around. Wait for it to heel a little bit before you fertilize it. Wait for spring....or you can yank it now and replace with a new plant. Me I'd yank it...sorry I'm a ruthless gardner. If it didn't withstand this cold...what will happen the next you guys get cold? And there will be cold...mabie a few years but it will happen. I prefer hardy step on, cold and drought tolerant plants.

marie

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 16:09 (106892)

It's not mushy, but then the freeze was only during the past two nights. The leaves are about half brown. How does one aeriate the soil? It's heavily and deeply mulched with a wood chip type mulch.

If I'm going to yank it and replace it, I'll wait for a few weeks until I'm sure the weather is going to stay about 50 or above.

A lot of plants seem to have been hurt by this hard freeze, that haven't had problems every year. I am not sure how many years or decades it's been since New Orleans saw such a freeze. Probably if I had been aware that it needed to be covered during the freeze, it would be fine. I feel like I'm learning about gardening here the hard way!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/26/03 at 16:39 (106896)

Carole, I really don't know much about plants and am not very good with them. But I just wanted to tell you how pretty the front of your house is! I love the combination of the brick color and the shutters. Do you know what the color name is for the shutters? 'Seafoam green' or 'willow green' come to mind. I love colors and their names.

Good luck with bringing your plants around. I wish I had better luck with them. My grandmother would stick every little twig or start of a plant she found in an old washtub or pot that was cracked or had the handle missing. And they would all grow and be beautiful! I should have paid more attention to what she did!

I just wanted to tell you how pretty your photo was.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 18:00 (106905)

Thank you, Suzanne! I think the previous owner did a wonderful job of the colors. The side door has New Orleans style iron grill work that's painted the same seafoam green color as the shutters, though I don't know the actual name of that color. Inside, the den is basically taupe but I added a carpet and sofa that use much of the seafoam green color too. I love the taupe, too, though I may someday paint the crown molding and elaborate framework around the French doors a slightly lighter or somehow different color, so that it shows up more.

You can see the entry to the front door area in the photo, beyond the gas lamp, but you can't see the cute little 'jumping frog' bronze doorbell. The previous owner was a widow my age who lived there alone, and who sadly was killed by a drunk driver. I think I would have liked her a lot. I constantly enjoy finding new details and such things about the house, that I like. I hope I didn't butcher the banana trees that she had in the back. LOL

Carole C

marie e on 1/26/03 at 18:50 (106908)

Hey that's the only way to learn how to garden. To aeriate the soil pull back the mulch and take a hand rake...or small garden shovel, or weed puller...stab the soil about 1-2 inches deep aaaall around. Don't use the machette or the box cutter. Rake lightly. Replace the mulch.

How long have you lived in New Oreleans? It seems they are getting this type of crazy weather more often. Cover your plants with a thick sheet of bisquine next time just to be safe. If the ground didn't freeze to deeply some of your bannana trees may come back. My parents lost theirs in a freeze and they used to live in Sarasota. Sounds like you have a beautiful piece of property. I loved the photo you posted.

marie

nancy s. on 1/26/03 at 19:03 (106909)

what's wrong with the plant in the photo? i don't see anything wrong. it all looks just fine to me.

but then, i am a plant idiot. most plants look fine to me, including a huge one we had growing in our tiny yard all summer, leaning out over the fence and touching summer tourists on the sidewalk and so on. turned out to be 'giant hogweed,' a toxic plant that the federal gov't and a number of state gov'ts have outlawed. it's on their plant 'Most Wanted' posters: kill on sight. i was horrified when i found out! phil covered himself with plastic and dug the thing out as best he could. we're hoping it doesn't reappear in the spring, but it probably will.

you should listen to marie -- she sounds like she knows what she's talking about.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 19:21 (106916)

I've lived in Louisiana for six years, and no, we haven't had this weather at all since I've been here. I think they did maybe 10-15 years ago but I'm not sure. Now that I have a good idea of which of these unknown plants can survive a freeze and which ones can't, it makes a little more sense to cover those that can't like I used to do for years with the more tender plants when I lived in Texas. I really couldn't see covering the entire yard.

Thanks for the compliments on the photo. To someone else it might be just another house, but to me it's my new house and home and I am trying to learn about it. I wish the two hurricanes one week after the other, and the two 13 hour hard freezes one day after the other, could have waited until the second year that I had the place. Maybe I am just lucky to have so many 'learning experiences' all in one six month period.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/03 at 19:22 (106917)

The photo was taken last fall.

Carole C

marie e on 1/26/03 at 20:27 (106922)

Too funny!!! I am sorry I didn't mean for you to cover your whole yard. Just the delicate plants. I suppose it was at least 15 years ago that my folks lived in FL. Can't believe it has been that long.

New Orleans is a beautiful area...I bet you like it.

later marie

Kathy G on 1/27/03 at 08:23 (106939)

Carole,

If you haven't already yanked the plants, why don't you go to the local garden supply store and ask the people there what you should do? I'll bet someone at even a Home Depot type place would know. The plants that have been affected by the freeze might just throw up some new shoots on their own and then you can eliminate the brown. Just a thought.....but gardeners love to give advice to us novices, so if you can find one with experience, you're in luck.

Once again, I have to tell you how beautiful your house is. It is just exactly the way I think a house in New Orleans should look! It's too bad you've had so many different types of odd weather this first year. I wish we had banana trees in NE. We have some tall pines tha we need to replace and I want to replace them with something that grows fast but doesn't have water-seeking roots.

Oh, I just thought of something. Give me a while and I'll give you the address of a great gardening website with message boards I used to go to. The posters were amazing and if you post your question, along with your picture, you'll get a ton of ideas. The people on it helped me a couple of years ago when I had a large group of lillies-of-the-valley to transplant. I don't have it bookmarked on this computer, though, so I'll have to think and search a bit to find it. When I do, I'll let you know.

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 08:44 (106942)

oops, sorry! apparently i lost some extra brain cells yesterday. i'll be quiet now.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 10:45 (106969)

I haven't yanked them. I think your idea is probably a good one. Maybe if I take in a leaf, someone there will know what it is and be able to advise me.

I noticed that the plant(s) of that type that were closest to the house appear undamaged... it's just the half that are closer to the lawn, in that bed. That's encouraging. Maybe they will recover, or if not maybe the plant(s) closer to the house would just spread some.

I've heard that there is a banana plant that grows in climates such as Boston, but I think that you have to yank it out and store it over the winter in pots inside. I've been doing searches on 'banana trees' and 'freeze', and I noticed that when reading the articles that I found. With all these banana trees, I asked a lot of people around here a few months ago whether or not the roots would disturb the foundation of my house. Everyone said emphatically 'no', that banana roots just aren't a problem in the way that other tree roots can be. That was good to know.

That sounds like a good gardening website! I found one for Louisiana gardening, but they had only had one or two posts since last summer so I didn't try posting about it. Thanks. :)

Although I have no material on Louisiana gardening at all, I have some old books about gardening in California. I plan to browse through them today. Maybe one of them has a photo of this same plant.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 10:51 (106972)

(giggle) Nancy, you can't have lost many brain cells. After all, you're just a youngster. I think it was me who lost a few brain cells, because I never did say when the photo was taken. Yesterday I was kind of steamed about the table, and the freeze damage, and a bunch of stuff. So, pardon my terse response!

Today when the alarm rang, I decided that it was a good day to use some sick leave and regain my good humor. (No, Julie, not the ice cream! my good mood. LOL) So maybe I can refrain from being so terse in my responses today.

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/27/03 at 13:39 (107009)

Carole,

Thw only website I can remember is Gardenweb.com. That's not the one that I got the help on my lilies from but I just checked and they have a forum on banana trees!

Hope it helps! And I do think that that plant may come back on its own. Plants like that, and I'm guessing it's a Bromeliad of some sort, are very resilient.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 14:34 (107022)

Thanks, Kathy! :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 19:08 (107059)

carole, let's say we both miss a few brain cells! no worry about your 'terse' response. you have more important things to tend to here, like your most helpful posts to people on the treatments board.

it's now 8:04 here, which i THINK means 7:04 your time, and although i'm extremely tired, i 'm hoping to read before i go to bed that your table was delivered in fine condition.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 19:51 (107068)

They got here right on time, and delivered the table. It has some minor damage but nothing that I can't live with, given the fact that it was so inexpensive. At one end, it looks like it got a little wet sometime in the past which made the wood a little darker. It's not damp now, though. Also, there's a scratch on the leg at that end. However I will never see the scratch because it's in a corner, and the slightly darker part of the top will be under my printer. I think he tried to get rid of it by waxing, and the waxing just made everything (including the dark spot) darker. The end leaves that pull out are lighter in color. But, overall, the part of the table top that people will normally see looks lovely.

I'm pleased with my table; overall, it is very pretty. And, I'll never buy anything from this dealer again. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 21:07 (107076)

congratulations, carole, i'm very glad it all turned out okay and you have the table you wanted. i know you were looking forward to it. right, though, try another store next time you want something old!

nancy

Necee on 1/28/03 at 08:36 (107114)

I'm happy for you Carole!! Thank goodness you don't have to hassle with that guy anymore.
Now you can enjoy your desk, and forget about that unpleasant experience.

Happy trails...

Necee

Suzanne D on 1/28/03 at 10:23 (107130)

Good! I'm so glad; I was wondering how it went and checked quickly here at lunchtime to see if you got the table.

Enjoy it!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/03 at 12:27 (107140)

Thanks, Necee! I have to say that it is so much more pleasant to be typing these words here on my beautiful French table, than it was to type on that ugly old metal desk. I guess whoever said, 'All's well that ends well' was right (Shakespeare, if I'm not mistaken).

The table is just perfect for this small bedroom, with its gracefully flowered wallpaper and lovely wall sconce, display cabinet, and details. Not only that, it didn't cost thousands of dollars so I'm not afraid to use it. Of course, I'll use coasters on it, but I'm not afraid to write on it.

Amazingly, in the long run I guess it was worth the aggravation. Next time I need antiques, I'll skip this guy and instead, go back to the nice people that sold me my old barrister's bookcase.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/03 at 12:27 (107141)

Thanks, Suzanne! I'm so glad to be able to report a happy ending. :)

Carole C