Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstock work shoes?

Posted by Shari V on 1/27/03 at 07:06 (106932)

Does anybody know if Birkenstock makes a steel toe work shoe. It would be wonderful if they did. I suffer from very painful feet,especially my heels form standing at work, and would love to wear my Birky's to work.

Re: Birkenstock work shoes?

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 07:19 (106933)

If they make a steel toe work shoe, I don't know about it. BUT... Birkenstock makes some sort of insert that apparently feels a lot like the Birkenstock footbed. Suzanne, who posts here regularly, uses the blue one and it has worked pretty well for her.

It might be worth a try!

Carole C

Re: link

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 07:22 (106934)

I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/Products/Style.cfm?id=270120030518-108043&style=Blue%20Footbed%20for%20Casual%20Shoes&collectionsub1=Insoles&collection=Insoles

Carole C

john h on 1/27/03 at 09:43 (106958)

Birk makes an Airizona non static sandal Carole and I have a pair. I guess some medical people and anyone who would work around electroics could use them. I orderd mine by accident and just kept them. the have a small metal rod about the circumference of a medium nail that goes thru the heel to the inside of the bed so your body is always grounded to what ever you are walking on. The rod is flush with the bed and bottom of the sandal so you really do not feel it.Since I work inside a computer on occasion they are good for that. If my wife tries to slide her feet on the floor and create static electricity and zap me I am protected just like Superman. Also if lighting strikes me I am toast..

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 11:26 (106982)

John, that sounds really neat! Watch out for that lightning. :)

She said she requires steel toes, though.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/27/03 at 15:21 (107029)

Yes, Shari, if Birks help you, then quite possibly the Birk inserts in other shoes could work well. I can't check the link Carole provided because I'm at school after hours (I'm a teacher) and we have a proxy which keeps us from most internet sites.

The ones I have experience with are the light blue, 3/4 length, semi-rigid inserts. They fit well in a lot of shoes, and I found them to be comfortable in my 'snow boots' which I have on now.

If there is a Birkenstock store near you, I would urge you to check these out. If not, perhaps you could order a pair and see how you do with them. Being 3/4 length, you don't have to worry about needing extra toe room in the shoe. That would probably be good since you have to have the steel toes. I would think they could be quite uncomfortable if they were tight in that area.

Good luck to you!
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 15:36 (107032)

Suzanne, the link said it was the Birkenstock Blue Footbed for Casual Shoes:

'Our most popular arch support. Recommended for shoes, flats, in-line skates, golf shoes, and low-heeled boots. Lightweight, high sides, deep heel cup and contoured arches balance foot pressure and reduce fatigue. The silk liner absorbs moisture while the cork/EVA underside provides shock absorbtion. Sizes 35-48 priced at $50, sizes 24-34 (kids sizes) priced at $36. Available in three widths.'

In the drawing it looks like it's 3/4 length though it's not stated. There is different Blue Footbed that's for dressy shoes.

There's also another one that's expressly for boots, but it says that this one works for low heeled boots.

Carole C

Shari V on 1/27/03 at 17:18 (107037)

Thanks everyone..I will try to get a pair of the inserts for my work shoes.

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 17:42 (107046)

non-static arizonas, john?? that's a new one on me. leave it to you to inadvertently have a pair! never heard of them. if you become toast, i hope you'll still post.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 07:19 (106933)

If they make a steel toe work shoe, I don't know about it. BUT... Birkenstock makes some sort of insert that apparently feels a lot like the Birkenstock footbed. Suzanne, who posts here regularly, uses the blue one and it has worked pretty well for her.

It might be worth a try!

Carole C

Re: link

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 07:22 (106934)

I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/Products/Style.cfm?id=270120030518-108043&style=Blue%20Footbed%20for%20Casual%20Shoes&collectionsub1=Insoles&collection=Insoles

Carole C

john h on 1/27/03 at 09:43 (106958)

Birk makes an Airizona non static sandal Carole and I have a pair. I guess some medical people and anyone who would work around electroics could use them. I orderd mine by accident and just kept them. the have a small metal rod about the circumference of a medium nail that goes thru the heel to the inside of the bed so your body is always grounded to what ever you are walking on. The rod is flush with the bed and bottom of the sandal so you really do not feel it.Since I work inside a computer on occasion they are good for that. If my wife tries to slide her feet on the floor and create static electricity and zap me I am protected just like Superman. Also if lighting strikes me I am toast..

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 11:26 (106982)

John, that sounds really neat! Watch out for that lightning. :)

She said she requires steel toes, though.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 1/27/03 at 15:21 (107029)

Yes, Shari, if Birks help you, then quite possibly the Birk inserts in other shoes could work well. I can't check the link Carole provided because I'm at school after hours (I'm a teacher) and we have a proxy which keeps us from most internet sites.

The ones I have experience with are the light blue, 3/4 length, semi-rigid inserts. They fit well in a lot of shoes, and I found them to be comfortable in my 'snow boots' which I have on now.

If there is a Birkenstock store near you, I would urge you to check these out. If not, perhaps you could order a pair and see how you do with them. Being 3/4 length, you don't have to worry about needing extra toe room in the shoe. That would probably be good since you have to have the steel toes. I would think they could be quite uncomfortable if they were tight in that area.

Good luck to you!
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 15:36 (107032)

Suzanne, the link said it was the Birkenstock Blue Footbed for Casual Shoes:

'Our most popular arch support. Recommended for shoes, flats, in-line skates, golf shoes, and low-heeled boots. Lightweight, high sides, deep heel cup and contoured arches balance foot pressure and reduce fatigue. The silk liner absorbs moisture while the cork/EVA underside provides shock absorbtion. Sizes 35-48 priced at $50, sizes 24-34 (kids sizes) priced at $36. Available in three widths.'

In the drawing it looks like it's 3/4 length though it's not stated. There is different Blue Footbed that's for dressy shoes.

There's also another one that's expressly for boots, but it says that this one works for low heeled boots.

Carole C

Shari V on 1/27/03 at 17:18 (107037)

Thanks everyone..I will try to get a pair of the inserts for my work shoes.

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 17:42 (107046)

non-static arizonas, john?? that's a new one on me. leave it to you to inadvertently have a pair! never heard of them. if you become toast, i hope you'll still post.
nancy