Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Baxter Surgery Update

Posted by BrianJ on 1/27/03 at 08:26 (106940)

Hello all --

It has now been 4 months since my Baxter surgery. I have noticed no improvement so far. I talked with Dr. Baxter last week, and he said recovery sometimes takes longer for people who had heel pain for a long time before the surgery (I've had it for 4.5 years). Thus, he recommended I wait several more months before drawing any conclusions.

I will no longer bore you with monthly updates, but will post if there is any change for better or worse. Let's hope it's better.

Re: Baxter Surgery Update

Sharon W on 1/27/03 at 09:36 (106956)

Actually I LIKE the monthy updates, and I had hoped that you would continue them.

I'm really sorry to hear it's not going well for you, though.

Sharon

kay on 1/27/03 at 10:25 (106967)

i'm sorry to hear that too. i really do want to hear good news from people who have suffered like i have. i may be a little jealous, ok a lot jealous but i still want ya all to get better.

kay

BrianG on 1/28/03 at 21:38 (107209)

At least you had no nerve type complications from your surgery. That in itself is a plus!

Good luck
BrianG

DJ on 2/03/03 at 17:01 (107844)

I also hope you can continue the updates. Sorry you haven't seen the improvements yet. Good luck with your recovery!

Bev N on 2/08/03 at 15:30 (108491)

Brian, What is Baxter surgery? Thanks, Bev N

BrianJ on 2/08/03 at 22:00 (108532)

Baxter surgery (named for Don Baxter, a surgeon in Houston)is a nerve-release procedure that sometimes decreases or eliminates chronic heel pain. The surgeon cuts open the medial aspect of the heel, dissects down to a specific nerve, and then cuts tissue away from the nerve, thus 'releasing' it. The procedure is somewhat contoversial, and even Baxter admits that most heel pain is NOT related to this nerve.

I had this surgery about 4 months ago, and have not felt any decrease in pain thus far.

Sharon W on 1/27/03 at 09:36 (106956)

Actually I LIKE the monthy updates, and I had hoped that you would continue them.

I'm really sorry to hear it's not going well for you, though.

Sharon

kay on 1/27/03 at 10:25 (106967)

i'm sorry to hear that too. i really do want to hear good news from people who have suffered like i have. i may be a little jealous, ok a lot jealous but i still want ya all to get better.

kay

BrianG on 1/28/03 at 21:38 (107209)

At least you had no nerve type complications from your surgery. That in itself is a plus!

Good luck
BrianG

DJ on 2/03/03 at 17:01 (107844)

I also hope you can continue the updates. Sorry you haven't seen the improvements yet. Good luck with your recovery!

Bev N on 2/08/03 at 15:30 (108491)

Brian, What is Baxter surgery? Thanks, Bev N

BrianJ on 2/08/03 at 22:00 (108532)

Baxter surgery (named for Don Baxter, a surgeon in Houston)is a nerve-release procedure that sometimes decreases or eliminates chronic heel pain. The surgeon cuts open the medial aspect of the heel, dissects down to a specific nerve, and then cuts tissue away from the nerve, thus 'releasing' it. The procedure is somewhat contoversial, and even Baxter admits that most heel pain is NOT related to this nerve.

I had this surgery about 4 months ago, and have not felt any decrease in pain thus far.