Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fascia release

Posted by Bob B on 1/27/03 at 10:58 (106975)

Can somebody clear this up for me please. Is plantar fascia release an ailment or a proceedure. And, if it is a proceedure, why is it done?
thanks
Bob

Re: plantar fascia release

SteveG on 1/27/03 at 13:06 (107001)

Bob - when the phrase 'plantar fascia release' is used on these boards it refers to a surgical procedure. It is used on intractable cases of pf that have not responded to any other treatment.

Bob B on 1/27/03 at 15:22 (107030)

Steve G - Thank you. My doctor lead me to believe my fascia was totally torn, gone, not there. Sounds the same as a release procedure. I will be seeing him Wednesday and this will help me get more info out of him. Bob B

D.Thomas on 1/28/03 at 12:33 (107144)

Bob,

When someone has a plantar fascia release, I would say that on average from what I have been told and read, that 1/3 to 2/3 of the fascia is cut near the heel. There are other methods that also cut the fascia in one form or another, but this method has the highest use. I have heard the doctor's here state that it is very rare and something that shouldn't be done in that the whole fascia is cut (it is considered a very important structure - that's why it's there in the first place). There are also different methods that the doctor's debate on the best way to make incisions to make the cut - so you don't injury the nerves.

Some doctors' are actually against the cutting of the fascia at all. They believe it is a very important structure and if it is cut, it can lead to further complications down the road or you could end up worse than you were before the operation.

In my experience, I would say this type of surgery is very controversial in its success rate and if it really should be done in the first place. I have been to ten different doctors and half like the procedure when everything else has been tried and the other half don't like it at all.

Pauline on 1/28/03 at 16:08 (107164)

Having P.F. surgery is like removing the pilings from under a bridge.

Bob B on 1/28/03 at 16:56 (107177)

Pauline - From what I have learned I agree with your statement. I just wanted to understand what it was. Thanks - Bob B

Bob B on 1/28/03 at 17:00 (107180)

D Thomas - Thank you. I've learned a lot. Sounds like an ugly thing to do to a foot. At least now I know what pf release is. Bob B

SteveG on 1/27/03 at 13:06 (107001)

Bob - when the phrase 'plantar fascia release' is used on these boards it refers to a surgical procedure. It is used on intractable cases of pf that have not responded to any other treatment.

Bob B on 1/27/03 at 15:22 (107030)

Steve G - Thank you. My doctor lead me to believe my fascia was totally torn, gone, not there. Sounds the same as a release procedure. I will be seeing him Wednesday and this will help me get more info out of him. Bob B

D.Thomas on 1/28/03 at 12:33 (107144)

Bob,

When someone has a plantar fascia release, I would say that on average from what I have been told and read, that 1/3 to 2/3 of the fascia is cut near the heel. There are other methods that also cut the fascia in one form or another, but this method has the highest use. I have heard the doctor's here state that it is very rare and something that shouldn't be done in that the whole fascia is cut (it is considered a very important structure - that's why it's there in the first place). There are also different methods that the doctor's debate on the best way to make incisions to make the cut - so you don't injury the nerves.

Some doctors' are actually against the cutting of the fascia at all. They believe it is a very important structure and if it is cut, it can lead to further complications down the road or you could end up worse than you were before the operation.

In my experience, I would say this type of surgery is very controversial in its success rate and if it really should be done in the first place. I have been to ten different doctors and half like the procedure when everything else has been tried and the other half don't like it at all.

Pauline on 1/28/03 at 16:08 (107164)

Having P.F. surgery is like removing the pilings from under a bridge.

Bob B on 1/28/03 at 16:56 (107177)

Pauline - From what I have learned I agree with your statement. I just wanted to understand what it was. Thanks - Bob B

Bob B on 1/28/03 at 17:00 (107180)

D Thomas - Thank you. I've learned a lot. Sounds like an ugly thing to do to a foot. At least now I know what pf release is. Bob B