Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Looking for Dr. Wander

Posted by Joe B. on 1/27/03 at 13:07 (107002)

Dr. Wander,
You had mentioned to me, in another post, that you are familiar with HMO coverage and 'capitation.' Do you know how the 'opt out of capitation' procedure works?? Will the HMO continue to let me see another 'in network' podiatrist or do I have to constantly apply for their blessings??? Thanks for your time.

Re: Looking for Dr. Wander

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/29/03 at 19:10 (107279)

You must seen your 'capitated' podiatrist, otherwise you must get special 'permission' to see another in network provider. This usually only is allowed if you were under the care of this doctor prior to switching to HMO (for continuity) or you are unhappy with the capitated provider. The HMO will usually approve an initial consultation with another podiatrist if the above criteria were met.

Re: Looking for Dr. Wander

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/29/03 at 19:10 (107279)

You must seen your 'capitated' podiatrist, otherwise you must get special 'permission' to see another in network provider. This usually only is allowed if you were under the care of this doctor prior to switching to HMO (for continuity) or you are unhappy with the capitated provider. The HMO will usually approve an initial consultation with another podiatrist if the above criteria were met.