Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

food feet/orthodics and pain

Posted by Mildred on 1/27/03 at 18:32 (107053)

I have spent MUCH money thru the years trying to keep the ball of my feet from hurting and burning when I walk. I an currently using Good Feet products, have used doctor prescribed orthodics made of hard and soft materials. Good Feet has helped the most but NONE has releived the pain in the ball of my foot. Any suggestions?? THANKS.

Mildred

Re: food feet/orthodics and pain

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 20:14 (107073)

Mildred, I am so sorry to hear that you are having this pain in the ball of your feet. I am not a doctor or a foot professional of any kind, and thank goodness I've never had pain in the ball of my foot.

Sometimes the DPMs and C.Peds here tell us that certain ball-of-the-foot pain is due to Morton's neuroma, which some people have in addition to PF. But I am not sure that that can affect both feet as in your case. So, I don't know what could be causing your ball-of-the-feet pain.

Can one of the foot professionals here jump in and help me out? Thanks. :)

Mildred, I'm thinking that maybe you need to see another foot professional and get your ball of the foot pain properly diagnosed, and then see what can be done to treat that problem. Maybe more than orthotics are necessary to treat it.

Do you wear high heels? I would imagine that might make things a lot harder on the ball of the feet.

Carole C

Richard, C.Ped on 1/28/03 at 08:08 (107110)

I know what you are going through Mildred. Have you been given a specific diagnosis? Are you losing fat pad in that area?
Richard

Mildred on 1/28/03 at 17:39 (107187)

No, I have not been given a REAL diagnosis. Just that wearing high heels for so many years put too much pressure on the ball of my foot and that there is no more padding left. What do you do to keep your feet from hurting when you are walking?
Thanks for sharing.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/03 at 21:46 (107211)

Mildred, if wearing high heels caused the problem, the first step is to throw all of your high heels away. I really mean it. Then wear supportive flat shoes with some cushioning. That should help.

Carole C

Mar on 1/29/03 at 13:18 (107252)

I have ball of foot pain also and no one has yet been able to relieve it. I am trying to have a pair of orthotics made similar to a birk footbed with the little shelf for the toes and the slight well for the ball of foot. The company has been working on them for 3 months, but I am still trying to remain hopeful. Maybe if they ever get it done, it will help -- I can only hope! Mar

Richard, C.Ped on 1/29/03 at 13:28 (107253)

I would recommend either having another pair made with a possible three layer material called Tri-lam, or having a strip of plastazote put across your current orthotics...that is assuming that you do not have a 3/4 lenght orthosis. That should give you good cushion.

Also, it may be worth trying a metarsal bar on the bottom of your shoes. What this does is cause the pressure to be distributed just proximal to the met heads. It will also cause you to 'roll over' the met heads during toe off. If done correctly, the pressure should stay off of the ball of your foot.
Richard

Mildred on 1/29/03 at 21:20 (107294)

Thanks for your suggestions. My orthodics are 3/4 length, so I would need to have another pair made. What is a metarsal bar? Are all of these things gotten thru an orthopedist?

Mildred

Richard, C.Ped on 1/30/03 at 08:34 (107323)

A c.ped can easily add a metataral bar to your shoes. It is placed on the sole of your shoes and again, it allows you to keep pressure off the met heads while walking. You may or may not need this.

If it were me, I would make you a full lenght orthosis out of the material I use for my diabetic and severe foot pain patients.
Richard

Jeff A. on 2/04/03 at 10:39 (107920)

Which Goodfeet product are you wearing? What other symptoms did they help?
Dr. Jeff

Mildred on 2/04/03 at 10:43 (107922)

The Good Feet Alzner orthodic is what I am wearing. It realigns your entire body for better health and keeps pressure off the ball of my foot. Recently the ball of the foot is becoming a problem again, so I may need something different.

Jeff A. on 2/04/03 at 13:23 (107945)

Since the alznner arch support has done the most good so far, it probably is due to the amount of support in the metetarsal arch which is quite aggressive in the alznner. You could take the alznner to a c.ped and see if some modifications can be made to your shoes to use in conjunction with the arch support or add cushioning to the metatarsal arch which might comfortably take more weight bearing off the met heads(ball).
Also, you could try the arch max at the good feet store and exchange if it feels better. The max is slightly more agressive than the alznner. Good luck.
Dr. Jeff

Carole C in NOLA on 1/27/03 at 20:14 (107073)

Mildred, I am so sorry to hear that you are having this pain in the ball of your feet. I am not a doctor or a foot professional of any kind, and thank goodness I've never had pain in the ball of my foot.

Sometimes the DPMs and C.Peds here tell us that certain ball-of-the-foot pain is due to Morton's neuroma, which some people have in addition to PF. But I am not sure that that can affect both feet as in your case. So, I don't know what could be causing your ball-of-the-feet pain.

Can one of the foot professionals here jump in and help me out? Thanks. :)

Mildred, I'm thinking that maybe you need to see another foot professional and get your ball of the foot pain properly diagnosed, and then see what can be done to treat that problem. Maybe more than orthotics are necessary to treat it.

Do you wear high heels? I would imagine that might make things a lot harder on the ball of the feet.

Carole C

Richard, C.Ped on 1/28/03 at 08:08 (107110)

I know what you are going through Mildred. Have you been given a specific diagnosis? Are you losing fat pad in that area?
Richard

Mildred on 1/28/03 at 17:39 (107187)

No, I have not been given a REAL diagnosis. Just that wearing high heels for so many years put too much pressure on the ball of my foot and that there is no more padding left. What do you do to keep your feet from hurting when you are walking?
Thanks for sharing.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/28/03 at 21:46 (107211)

Mildred, if wearing high heels caused the problem, the first step is to throw all of your high heels away. I really mean it. Then wear supportive flat shoes with some cushioning. That should help.

Carole C

Mar on 1/29/03 at 13:18 (107252)

I have ball of foot pain also and no one has yet been able to relieve it. I am trying to have a pair of orthotics made similar to a birk footbed with the little shelf for the toes and the slight well for the ball of foot. The company has been working on them for 3 months, but I am still trying to remain hopeful. Maybe if they ever get it done, it will help -- I can only hope! Mar

Richard, C.Ped on 1/29/03 at 13:28 (107253)

I would recommend either having another pair made with a possible three layer material called Tri-lam, or having a strip of plastazote put across your current orthotics...that is assuming that you do not have a 3/4 lenght orthosis. That should give you good cushion.

Also, it may be worth trying a metarsal bar on the bottom of your shoes. What this does is cause the pressure to be distributed just proximal to the met heads. It will also cause you to 'roll over' the met heads during toe off. If done correctly, the pressure should stay off of the ball of your foot.
Richard

Mildred on 1/29/03 at 21:20 (107294)

Thanks for your suggestions. My orthodics are 3/4 length, so I would need to have another pair made. What is a metarsal bar? Are all of these things gotten thru an orthopedist?

Mildred

Richard, C.Ped on 1/30/03 at 08:34 (107323)

A c.ped can easily add a metataral bar to your shoes. It is placed on the sole of your shoes and again, it allows you to keep pressure off the met heads while walking. You may or may not need this.

If it were me, I would make you a full lenght orthosis out of the material I use for my diabetic and severe foot pain patients.
Richard

Jeff A. on 2/04/03 at 10:39 (107920)

Which Goodfeet product are you wearing? What other symptoms did they help?
Dr. Jeff

Mildred on 2/04/03 at 10:43 (107922)

The Good Feet Alzner orthodic is what I am wearing. It realigns your entire body for better health and keeps pressure off the ball of my foot. Recently the ball of the foot is becoming a problem again, so I may need something different.

Jeff A. on 2/04/03 at 13:23 (107945)

Since the alznner arch support has done the most good so far, it probably is due to the amount of support in the metetarsal arch which is quite aggressive in the alznner. You could take the alznner to a c.ped and see if some modifications can be made to your shoes to use in conjunction with the arch support or add cushioning to the metatarsal arch which might comfortably take more weight bearing off the met heads(ball).
Also, you could try the arch max at the good feet store and exchange if it feels better. The max is slightly more agressive than the alznner. Good luck.
Dr. Jeff