Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

doctors visit...fibromyalgia and tts

Posted by marie e on 1/27/03 at 20:04 (107071)

Well my visit with the gp went well today. As you may remember I gave my gp homework on tts. I am not eligible for surgery. so it was time for him to begin helping me cope with what I have.

We discussed all the other wild symptoms I have and he felt that I have a strong case for fibromyalgia. He said he could send me to a rhuematologist (that can't be spelled right) for an evaluation or he just begin treating me for it. He felt I've been through enough testing and I had enough of a case to just begin treating me for it.

The best news is that he is writing me a script for a scooter and a lift for the back of the suv. I am so excited. I get to get out and go. Yes I can wait in line on my scooter....it's wonderful. I had to buy a scooter for my classroom last august because none of my doctor's would write a script sense I was still getting tested...With a kid in college and bills piling up that was the last thing I needed to do. I am also getting a script for birkenstocks....hurray!!!!!! FINALLY!

marie

Re: doctors visit...fibromyalgia and tts

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 21:02 (107075)

marie, that's great news on the scripts for scooter, lift, birks. you're looking at them in the most constructive way: freedom! and that's what they provide. at my worst, i was in a scooter or wheelchair whenever i went out. at first, i felt self-conscious about it (during my first scooter outing, to home depot with my husband, i ran over his foot, nearly knocked over a huge light-bulb display, and backed into the wall while parking when i was done! i thought i'd never get it right, but it didn't take long).

i reluctantly took a wheelchair on two trips that we made. boy, was i glad i did! it freed him up from having to worry about my pain and about whether i could manage where we were going on any given day, and it freed me of all pain while we were out. it was freeing, all the way around! i'd do it again in a second if i needed to.

congrats, and i hope these things open life up more for you.

nancy

Kathy G on 1/28/03 at 09:05 (107121)

Great news, Marie! There's a columnist who writes for the Boston Globe on Tuesdays. His column is called 'Now and Then' and it deals with the issues of aging from his own personal perspective and many other interesting stories from his past and present. He's a retired English Professor from UNH and I really love to read his columns. Anyway, his wife has Parkinson's Disease and she's near 80 and it has started to worsen. She used to use a walker when they went out but has just recently started to use it around the house. His take on it was great and not unlike yours on your scooter. He said that it allowed her to be more independent not less. He said that without this, she wouldn't be able to pursue her normal activities but this empowers her to do so. I thought it was a wonderful take on the use of ancillary devices to help us function.

I'm so glad that you have some definitive diagnosis and will be able to proceed from here. I'm especially glad that you'll be able to get some return from your insurance company now.

Great to hear the news!

Lara T on 1/29/03 at 00:06 (107224)

YOu mean I can get a Rx for my Dansko & Birk slippers, and the wheelchair I bought for sightseeing occasions, and have it covered? I'll have to call my insurance Co. tomorrow and see if it's a covered expense.

marie e on 1/29/03 at 20:59 (107293)

My insurance will pay for up to $4000.00 a year for mobility devices...like scooters, wheel chairs. It just depends on your plan. I have to pay for 20%, that's not alot to ask for freedom. Good luck Lara.

marie

nancy s. on 1/27/03 at 21:02 (107075)

marie, that's great news on the scripts for scooter, lift, birks. you're looking at them in the most constructive way: freedom! and that's what they provide. at my worst, i was in a scooter or wheelchair whenever i went out. at first, i felt self-conscious about it (during my first scooter outing, to home depot with my husband, i ran over his foot, nearly knocked over a huge light-bulb display, and backed into the wall while parking when i was done! i thought i'd never get it right, but it didn't take long).

i reluctantly took a wheelchair on two trips that we made. boy, was i glad i did! it freed him up from having to worry about my pain and about whether i could manage where we were going on any given day, and it freed me of all pain while we were out. it was freeing, all the way around! i'd do it again in a second if i needed to.

congrats, and i hope these things open life up more for you.

nancy

Kathy G on 1/28/03 at 09:05 (107121)

Great news, Marie! There's a columnist who writes for the Boston Globe on Tuesdays. His column is called 'Now and Then' and it deals with the issues of aging from his own personal perspective and many other interesting stories from his past and present. He's a retired English Professor from UNH and I really love to read his columns. Anyway, his wife has Parkinson's Disease and she's near 80 and it has started to worsen. She used to use a walker when they went out but has just recently started to use it around the house. His take on it was great and not unlike yours on your scooter. He said that it allowed her to be more independent not less. He said that without this, she wouldn't be able to pursue her normal activities but this empowers her to do so. I thought it was a wonderful take on the use of ancillary devices to help us function.

I'm so glad that you have some definitive diagnosis and will be able to proceed from here. I'm especially glad that you'll be able to get some return from your insurance company now.

Great to hear the news!

Lara T on 1/29/03 at 00:06 (107224)

YOu mean I can get a Rx for my Dansko & Birk slippers, and the wheelchair I bought for sightseeing occasions, and have it covered? I'll have to call my insurance Co. tomorrow and see if it's a covered expense.

marie e on 1/29/03 at 20:59 (107293)

My insurance will pay for up to $4000.00 a year for mobility devices...like scooters, wheel chairs. It just depends on your plan. I have to pay for 20%, that's not alot to ask for freedom. Good luck Lara.

marie