Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ball of foot/arch burning

Posted by Micki Q on 1/27/03 at 23:23 (107085)

When I'm on my feet or have shoes on no problem. Within 10 minutes after removing shoes my arches and ball of foot burn. Also the top of my foot aches and toes are somewhat tingly. When I wake up in the AM my feet and legs are burning until I walk. I have no heel pain. If I walk barefoot I feel like I'm walking on rocks or bumps and it hurts. No OTC helps the burning and aching. I was told I have PF about 2 years ago and have used good shoes with inserts to no avail. What is your opinion? I am going to a DR in a couple of weeks but would like some preliminary info.

Re: Ball of foot/arch burning

Kim C. on 2/01/03 at 18:24 (107646)

When you say that it feels tingly, and like you are walking on a stone--it sounds like you have a neuroma. I just had one surgically removed on one foot, and about to be done on the other foot. My podiatrist has tried many conservative treatments such as injections of dehydrated alcohol, but none have worked for me. (The injections work in about 85% of people.)
Also, when you say it hurts until you first walk in the morning, you might have plantar fascitis too. That is easy to take care of, I had it on my right foot last year and it went away with one cortisone shot. It was very tight and painful, until I walked around a little, and the first step was always the worst.
There are a lot of websites which explain what these problems are, check them out, learning more about your condition will help. In the meantime, take ibuprofen or naprosyn until you get to the doctor, and ice might help too. Even the smallest amount of walking and standing makes the ball of my feet extremely painful, I am sure you know the feeling. Good luck to you, wear your orthotics if you have them, and stay off your feet as much as possible!

Micki Q on 2/02/03 at 17:46 (107746)

Thanks for your response and helpful information. I will try the Ice and trying to stay off my feet. (I have twin boys grandsons that are 5 and it's really hard to sit when they are here).
I did go to my GP and he said he doubted that I had PF as when he pressed near me heal I did not feel any pain. Having a Nerve Conductivity and blood test for diabetes and excess B12/folic acid in my system. Sure hope it's not diabetes. Never had anyone in my family with diabetes and I don't have any of the common symptons. I'll post in two weeks when I get my results. Oh, I am taking 100 mg of Neurontin 1-3 X a day as needed at it is helping alot.

Kim C. on 2/12/03 at 11:56 (108921)

I hope you are feeling better, it sure is no fun being in pain. Are you still taking the Neurontin, does it work for you? My doc just gave me a scrip for it, at 300 mg 3x daily. So far it seems to be working, but I am very sleepy. I just found out I also have a herniated disc in my back, and it may be contributing to my foot pain! I have had lower back pain for the last seven months, but I paid little attention to it as I thought it was a result of using crutches or being on my feet too much. Now I wish I had investigated the back pain sooner, but what can you do, as they say, hindsight is 20-20, right? I also have severe tarsal tunnel syndrome and neuromas (nerve tumors) in both feet, and I find out on Saturday if I need surgery for that. I have my fingers crossed that I can return to work soon, I have been out since October! Best wishes to you, and I hope you'll have a speedy recovery.

Micki Q on 2/12/03 at 12:12 (108922)

Thanks for your comments. The neurontin is working good now. I have been taking 100 mg 3X a day for only 12 days now and most of the pain is gone. I only have a little pull from my heel to my toes and no burning or aching. I still don't know what caused this as all my testing is not done yet. I'm curious as to whether I will have to keep on medication or bare the pain. Maybe they will find out what the cause is so I'm not just 'band-aiding' the pain. I hope so. I have heard of people who found out that they had a back problem that was causing foot problems before. I think it is not unusual. Hopefully you won't need surgery as that will take a while to heal too. Good luck on your return to good health. Keep in touch.

Kim C. on 2/01/03 at 18:24 (107646)

When you say that it feels tingly, and like you are walking on a stone--it sounds like you have a neuroma. I just had one surgically removed on one foot, and about to be done on the other foot. My podiatrist has tried many conservative treatments such as injections of dehydrated alcohol, but none have worked for me. (The injections work in about 85% of people.)
Also, when you say it hurts until you first walk in the morning, you might have plantar fascitis too. That is easy to take care of, I had it on my right foot last year and it went away with one cortisone shot. It was very tight and painful, until I walked around a little, and the first step was always the worst.
There are a lot of websites which explain what these problems are, check them out, learning more about your condition will help. In the meantime, take ibuprofen or naprosyn until you get to the doctor, and ice might help too. Even the smallest amount of walking and standing makes the ball of my feet extremely painful, I am sure you know the feeling. Good luck to you, wear your orthotics if you have them, and stay off your feet as much as possible!

Micki Q on 2/02/03 at 17:46 (107746)

Thanks for your response and helpful information. I will try the Ice and trying to stay off my feet. (I have twin boys grandsons that are 5 and it's really hard to sit when they are here).
I did go to my GP and he said he doubted that I had PF as when he pressed near me heal I did not feel any pain. Having a Nerve Conductivity and blood test for diabetes and excess B12/folic acid in my system. Sure hope it's not diabetes. Never had anyone in my family with diabetes and I don't have any of the common symptons. I'll post in two weeks when I get my results. Oh, I am taking 100 mg of Neurontin 1-3 X a day as needed at it is helping alot.

Kim C. on 2/12/03 at 11:56 (108921)

I hope you are feeling better, it sure is no fun being in pain. Are you still taking the Neurontin, does it work for you? My doc just gave me a scrip for it, at 300 mg 3x daily. So far it seems to be working, but I am very sleepy. I just found out I also have a herniated disc in my back, and it may be contributing to my foot pain! I have had lower back pain for the last seven months, but I paid little attention to it as I thought it was a result of using crutches or being on my feet too much. Now I wish I had investigated the back pain sooner, but what can you do, as they say, hindsight is 20-20, right? I also have severe tarsal tunnel syndrome and neuromas (nerve tumors) in both feet, and I find out on Saturday if I need surgery for that. I have my fingers crossed that I can return to work soon, I have been out since October! Best wishes to you, and I hope you'll have a speedy recovery.

Micki Q on 2/12/03 at 12:12 (108922)

Thanks for your comments. The neurontin is working good now. I have been taking 100 mg 3X a day for only 12 days now and most of the pain is gone. I only have a little pull from my heel to my toes and no burning or aching. I still don't know what caused this as all my testing is not done yet. I'm curious as to whether I will have to keep on medication or bare the pain. Maybe they will find out what the cause is so I'm not just 'band-aiding' the pain. I hope so. I have heard of people who found out that they had a back problem that was causing foot problems before. I think it is not unusual. Hopefully you won't need surgery as that will take a while to heal too. Good luck on your return to good health. Keep in touch.

Kim C. on 11/22/03 at 15:37 (138379)

How are you doing now? Are you still having pain, what treatments have you had? My problem was originally mis-diagnosed as plantar fascitis, and then several other things. I wish I could say that I am better but at least I finally found a Dr that understands my condition. They say that my nerve damage is permanent and not curable but treatable. They recommended a neurostimulator implanted device that helps with the burning electric pain-it 'tames the pain'. I am very nervous though because it is kind of invasive surgery and they connect the unit to your spinal cord-that's scary. B
efore they do that though, they have me on a tricyclic antidepressant(Elavil), not for depression but for the pain, it seems that the anti-depressants inhibit the pain signals somehow. Hey, if it works, I would be thrilled-anything has to be better than chronic pain!
You might want to research RSD-Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, tricyclic antidepressants and peripheral neuropathy. There is a lot of info online on these topics, try a search engine. The more I read about my condition, the better I feel, well sort of...

I hope that this post finds you well, maybe in the last nine months you have found some relief-I hope so.

Take care,
Kim