Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Infrared

Posted by john h on 1/28/03 at 10:21 (107129)

I recetnly received a flyer on a product that claimed to help arthritis,back pain,PF,etc. It is an infrared heat pad. it states that infrared heats all the way to the bone and causes blood vessels to expand allowing more blood to flow into a given area therefore reducing inflamtion whereas a typical heat pad heats only the surface. The expansion of the vessels allowing for more blood flow makes sense and the deep heat penetration to reach deep blood vessles makes sense. The procuct is made in Canada and is FDA approved. Claims to be the only such heat pad in he world. Anyone have any scientifice thoughts on such a product. Seems like I recall infrared heat thearpy lamps somewhere along the way. I think I also remember an infrared heat wand in the Sharper Image. Have any of you Doctors ever applied infrared heat to the fascia?.

Re: Infrared

JenL on 1/28/03 at 12:29 (107142)

Does the flyer say how much it costs? Is it for use at home? I guess we can give it a try. Could you tell me their number if available?
Thank you for the info.

john h on 1/28/03 at 16:04 (107163)

You bet it says how much it cost Jen. Would you believe $245? Of course it has a 30 money back deal. Sort of like the price of an orthotic.

john h on 1/28/03 at 16:25 (107169)

jen: the name of the company is Biotech Research and the name of the product is Thermotex. Toll free number is 1-800-466-7688. there is a 30 day unconditional,no risk, full purchase retun policy. $224 using their discount code. Literature states that there is no limit on how long you cn use it unlike a heating pad. I would call them Jen and ask for the literature so you can read it all as there is to much to try an go into it here. I find the literature very intesting. Deep hear of any sort is used to treat many problems but any device that can deliver deep heat is usually at a physical thearapy center.

john h on 1/28/03 at 16:39 (107171)

jen: I did a search and found the web site for this device which is a registered medical device in the U.S. and Canada. the URL is
http://www.thermotex.com
it has a lot of info including pharmacies in the U.S. where the pad can be purchased. there are two near me. the site explains the use of infrared in the the treatment of various diseases including carpal tunnel, fibromylgia, PF, back,hip pain etc. Interesting reading. I emailed the two local pharmacies to ask what their price was to compare with the mailout I received and if they had the 30 day return policy. If they will let you return it locally I will give it a go as everyone knows i try anything.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/29/03 at 16:20 (107265)

John:
It is a form of heat -- nothing special. I think that deep moist heat in the form of a warm wet towel (hydrocolator in PT) works somewhat better than radiant heat for musculoskeletal conditions. They are forms of superficial heat. Ultrasound and diathermy can generate deeper heat which works better yet.
Ed

JudyS on 1/30/03 at 11:33 (107359)

Dr. Ed - can you recommend some ways we can get that deep moist heat therapy at home? Are there any products on the market available to us for that purpose?

JenL on 1/30/03 at 16:31 (107392)

Thanks very much John, It's very good idear to try it and return it if not like it. The price sounds so scary, but we certainly keep an eye on it.
I had used the wet towel thing at a physical therapy place, and I have to say it's not better than my heating gel pad at home.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/30/03 at 19:46 (107416)

It is possible to get moist heat from warm wet towels wrapped around the area but not 'deep' as that requires special equipment.
Ed

JenL on 1/28/03 at 12:29 (107142)

Does the flyer say how much it costs? Is it for use at home? I guess we can give it a try. Could you tell me their number if available?
Thank you for the info.

john h on 1/28/03 at 16:04 (107163)

You bet it says how much it cost Jen. Would you believe $245? Of course it has a 30 money back deal. Sort of like the price of an orthotic.

john h on 1/28/03 at 16:25 (107169)

jen: the name of the company is Biotech Research and the name of the product is Thermotex. Toll free number is 1-800-466-7688. there is a 30 day unconditional,no risk, full purchase retun policy. $224 using their discount code. Literature states that there is no limit on how long you cn use it unlike a heating pad. I would call them Jen and ask for the literature so you can read it all as there is to much to try an go into it here. I find the literature very intesting. Deep hear of any sort is used to treat many problems but any device that can deliver deep heat is usually at a physical thearapy center.

john h on 1/28/03 at 16:39 (107171)

jen: I did a search and found the web site for this device which is a registered medical device in the U.S. and Canada. the URL is
http://www.thermotex.com
it has a lot of info including pharmacies in the U.S. where the pad can be purchased. there are two near me. the site explains the use of infrared in the the treatment of various diseases including carpal tunnel, fibromylgia, PF, back,hip pain etc. Interesting reading. I emailed the two local pharmacies to ask what their price was to compare with the mailout I received and if they had the 30 day return policy. If they will let you return it locally I will give it a go as everyone knows i try anything.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/29/03 at 16:20 (107265)

John:
It is a form of heat -- nothing special. I think that deep moist heat in the form of a warm wet towel (hydrocolator in PT) works somewhat better than radiant heat for musculoskeletal conditions. They are forms of superficial heat. Ultrasound and diathermy can generate deeper heat which works better yet.
Ed

JudyS on 1/30/03 at 11:33 (107359)

Dr. Ed - can you recommend some ways we can get that deep moist heat therapy at home? Are there any products on the market available to us for that purpose?

JenL on 1/30/03 at 16:31 (107392)

Thanks very much John, It's very good idear to try it and return it if not like it. The price sounds so scary, but we certainly keep an eye on it.
I had used the wet towel thing at a physical therapy place, and I have to say it's not better than my heating gel pad at home.

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/30/03 at 19:46 (107416)

It is possible to get moist heat from warm wet towels wrapped around the area but not 'deep' as that requires special equipment.
Ed