Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Increasing shoe sensitivity

Posted by Andrue on 1/30/03 at 10:37 (107351)

I'm continuing my trial of reduced foot activity and I've noticed that my feet are becoming very 'picky' about what footwear they'll accept. The 'reduced activity' just means only walking when there's a good reason whereas previously I went for the occasional stroll and shopping. Thanks to the Internet I haven't had to go shopping for nearly two months :)

Anyway - what I'm intrigued about is that shoes that I was quite happy with six months ago (I've had PF for over 18 months now) are uncomfortable or just feel unpleasant. I've also noticed that instead of an overall soreness to the bottom of my feet I have developed very specific pressure points. The previously sore areas are now fine.

The result is lower day to day pain (almost none some days) but occasional stronger pain that can last a few days.

Does anyone think these changes have any significance? A sign of recovery? Things getting worse? Or just 'another odd feature of PF'?

Hopefully the results of my MRI scan will come through soon.

Re: Increasing shoe sensitivity

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/03 at 11:40 (107361)

Andrue,

I've noticed that when healing, an overall soreness of the bottom of my feet does diminish into soreness of specific points before it disappears. The same is true of many kinds of pain. When pain is severe, the sensation is that it covers a much larger area. But, as it begins to go away, it's easier to tell exactly what spots hurt.

Since your feet are being 'picky', pay attention to them and alternate good, supportive footwear of different kinds that feel good to you.

When you get the occasional stronger pain, think of what you did that might have caused it. It is probably causing you setbacks. As you begin to isolate the reasons for it, you can eliminate that pain. Then your healing will be much, much faster.

I'm glad to hear that you are healing!

Carole C

Re: Increasing shoe sensitivity

Carole C in NOLA on 1/30/03 at 11:40 (107361)

Andrue,

I've noticed that when healing, an overall soreness of the bottom of my feet does diminish into soreness of specific points before it disappears. The same is true of many kinds of pain. When pain is severe, the sensation is that it covers a much larger area. But, as it begins to go away, it's easier to tell exactly what spots hurt.

Since your feet are being 'picky', pay attention to them and alternate good, supportive footwear of different kinds that feel good to you.

When you get the occasional stronger pain, think of what you did that might have caused it. It is probably causing you setbacks. As you begin to isolate the reasons for it, you can eliminate that pain. Then your healing will be much, much faster.

I'm glad to hear that you are healing!

Carole C