Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

High Heels to cure Planter Facititas???

Posted by Kristen H. on 1/31/03 at 09:34 (107475)

I was just diagnosed with PLanter Facititas (Sp?. My docotr gave me a cortizone shot and said to wear only high heels for the next month...no flat shoes or bare feet. He said I should feel fine after that as long as I vary my heel heights. Does this make sense???

Re: High Heels to cure Planter Facititas???

Julie on 1/31/03 at 14:37 (107491)

I don't think he meant HIGH heels. He probably meant that you shouldn't wear absolutely flat shoes. What is usually recommended is a low heel, no more than an inch.

Kristen H. on 1/31/03 at 14:52 (107495)

He said at least an and inch and half.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/31/03 at 15:51 (107503)

I have not heard of doctors recommending heels that are quite so high for PF. Sometimes they recommend one half to one inch heels.

This does sound unusual.

Carole C

Julie on 2/01/03 at 04:02 (107573)

There are two possibilities.

Your doctor knows something we don't know (very likely, as he has seen you and we haven't) .

His opinion on heels differs from that of many others.

Or both.

Try what he suggests but be very observant as to how it makes you feel, and go back to him with any problems or questions.

Mar on 2/01/03 at 07:31 (107589)

Yes, as Julie says - be observant how it feels. After bunion surgery , I had a lot of pain, my pod at the time told me to wear heels also!! I couldn't even put full weight on the ball of my foot and he wanted me to wear heels!! So keep a mix of what your doctor says and what your body says. Mar

Kathy G on 2/01/03 at 09:54 (107614)

Kristen,

Why don't you call your doctor back and ask him why he said what he did? Hopefully, he's approachable and won't mind being asked. He must have a specific reason, perhaps based on experience with feet like yours, for why he suggested heels.

Kristen H. on 2/01/03 at 10:35 (107618)

Thanks for all the great input and suggestions. I have been wearing very comfy shoes about an inch high for a couple of days now. I do not have and pain when I walk this way so far. I am going to give it the month and follow up with him. I find it hard to believe that this will be the cure but we will see.

I found out my brother has been suferring from this for several years...(he is very private)...and he finally got relief by wearing this boot thing at night for several months, that pointed his toes up. So he thought the raising the heel thing seemed backwards..so who knows!

I have been discouraged looking at this website, because my doctor was so matter-a-fact that this would get better and be no big deal...and now I see this may be an ongoing problem. Bummer!! I love to be barefoot!!!

Dr. Z on 2/01/03 at 19:34 (107657)

You have to be very careful with just wearing high heels. The reason for wearing an elevated high is to shift the weight off your heel bone/pf insertion.. This can cause problems with the forefoot of your foot. You can develop neuroma pain, metatatarsl bone pain etc.

I would recommend a slight heel or adding a heel lift. Also wearing a high heel for too long will place the achilles tendon in a shortened position .
So what i am trying to say is be very careful with this easy, quick treatment. It can cause more trouble then already had.

Julie on 1/31/03 at 14:37 (107491)

I don't think he meant HIGH heels. He probably meant that you shouldn't wear absolutely flat shoes. What is usually recommended is a low heel, no more than an inch.

Kristen H. on 1/31/03 at 14:52 (107495)

He said at least an and inch and half.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/31/03 at 15:51 (107503)

I have not heard of doctors recommending heels that are quite so high for PF. Sometimes they recommend one half to one inch heels.

This does sound unusual.

Carole C

Julie on 2/01/03 at 04:02 (107573)

There are two possibilities.

Your doctor knows something we don't know (very likely, as he has seen you and we haven't) .

His opinion on heels differs from that of many others.

Or both.

Try what he suggests but be very observant as to how it makes you feel, and go back to him with any problems or questions.

Mar on 2/01/03 at 07:31 (107589)

Yes, as Julie says - be observant how it feels. After bunion surgery , I had a lot of pain, my pod at the time told me to wear heels also!! I couldn't even put full weight on the ball of my foot and he wanted me to wear heels!! So keep a mix of what your doctor says and what your body says. Mar

Kathy G on 2/01/03 at 09:54 (107614)

Kristen,

Why don't you call your doctor back and ask him why he said what he did? Hopefully, he's approachable and won't mind being asked. He must have a specific reason, perhaps based on experience with feet like yours, for why he suggested heels.

Kristen H. on 2/01/03 at 10:35 (107618)

Thanks for all the great input and suggestions. I have been wearing very comfy shoes about an inch high for a couple of days now. I do not have and pain when I walk this way so far. I am going to give it the month and follow up with him. I find it hard to believe that this will be the cure but we will see.

I found out my brother has been suferring from this for several years...(he is very private)...and he finally got relief by wearing this boot thing at night for several months, that pointed his toes up. So he thought the raising the heel thing seemed backwards..so who knows!

I have been discouraged looking at this website, because my doctor was so matter-a-fact that this would get better and be no big deal...and now I see this may be an ongoing problem. Bummer!! I love to be barefoot!!!

Dr. Z on 2/01/03 at 19:34 (107657)

You have to be very careful with just wearing high heels. The reason for wearing an elevated high is to shift the weight off your heel bone/pf insertion.. This can cause problems with the forefoot of your foot. You can develop neuroma pain, metatatarsl bone pain etc.

I would recommend a slight heel or adding a heel lift. Also wearing a high heel for too long will place the achilles tendon in a shortened position .
So what i am trying to say is be very careful with this easy, quick treatment. It can cause more trouble then already had.