Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

water exercise

Posted by diana on 1/31/03 at 23:38 (107571)

Has anyone ever had there feet get worse after doing water exercise classes? Diana

Re: water exercise

eileenc on 2/01/03 at 08:05 (107593)

Yes.
(Tarsal Tunnel for 6 1/2 years with an unsuccessful surgery 5 1/2 years ago)

Kathy G on 2/01/03 at 09:51 (107613)

Well, I don't have TTS but I do have PF. And yes, my feet are worse after I swim. I've never tried the exercise classes. I still continue to swim because I love it so much and if I'm going to have pain, it may as well come from something I just love!

I believe it's something you might have to try. I have a friend with RA and she says that the water exercise for people with arthritis helps her immensely. She does them in the deep end of the pool, wearing a belt that keeps her from putting any weight on her feet.

Julie on 2/01/03 at 11:04 (107620)

This is interesting. I wonder if it's because the feet are plantarflexed while swimming. Also there would be the pressure of the water, as one kicks against it. Just a guess - I'll have to think about this one next time I go swimming!

diana on 2/01/03 at 19:53 (107661)

I'm wondering if it's the water pressure too and also flexing your feet so much. I thought water exercise was suppposed to be good for anything that ails you but I used to think the same thing about walking. Diana

Dr. Z on 2/01/03 at 20:50 (107664)

This is the first time I have heard that Water exercises made feet feel worse. The action of gravity is gone or also gone with water. Very important to try to go into RA classes only. They keep the pool water warmer with RA classes

diana on 2/02/03 at 00:07 (107681)

This is a RA class with warm water. I think it is all the twisting and flexing your feet do when you are in the water that hurt mine. It feels like stinging sensations in my feet and ankle. Diana

carynz on 2/03/03 at 09:28 (107806)

this is interesting info because my doctor just suggested that i thimk about taking a water exercise class since there would be little or no pressure on my foot being in the pool.

will hav to watch that.

cheers,

carynz

SteveG on 2/03/03 at 23:13 (107887)

Yes - I noticed when I was swimming my feet would bother me. I think it might have come from having my foot flexed
downward for such a long period of time. Now that I do water running and keep my feet in a more neutral position, I have not experienced any problems

Mar on 2/04/03 at 13:16 (107941)

Wow I am surprised! I have severe PF and water is one of the few things that gives me relief for a little while. I do at least 3 hours of water exercise/swimming per week and it is wonderful. I do not walk on the bottom of the pool at all and only use birkis around pool - no barefeet. Even a shower gives me slight relief. Mar

diana on 2/04/03 at 22:22 (108029)

Thanks for the comments. I have done nothing different except start water exercises so I think that is what has to be the cause of this relapse all of a sudden. My theory is that if it is only plantar Fascitis swimming loosens up your feet and makes them feel better. I think if it's a nerve problem it stimulates the nerves and they maybe fire off more and cause pain. After my feet feel better, I will try the water again but try not to flex so much. I have noticed my feet get worse if I stand on my tiptoes or so down steps alot and they aren't so bad if I just walk normally. Believe it or not my feet have improved over the years. they got better when I stopped stretching them and stopped wearing orthotics. I don't hike as much as I used to but I do walk around the neighbborhood and go on a level hike ever so often. I had surgery for PF and TT and it didn't help a bit. Before that I tried every thing almost that has been mentioned on this board. I have taken Nuerotin and it helped too but I never take the full dosage. (Don't like pills). Thanks, Diana

Mar on 2/05/03 at 17:22 (108110)

Well, you know, the body is a mystery and each person reacts differently. For example, in the summer I biked 10-15 miles a day with no additional pain. I bought a stationary bike in November and after using it for 10 minutes, the pain level increased dramatically. Tried it a few times more, and the same thing happened. Go figure! That's when I switched to swimming. Good luck -- Mar

eileenc on 2/01/03 at 08:05 (107593)

Yes.
(Tarsal Tunnel for 6 1/2 years with an unsuccessful surgery 5 1/2 years ago)

Kathy G on 2/01/03 at 09:51 (107613)

Well, I don't have TTS but I do have PF. And yes, my feet are worse after I swim. I've never tried the exercise classes. I still continue to swim because I love it so much and if I'm going to have pain, it may as well come from something I just love!

I believe it's something you might have to try. I have a friend with RA and she says that the water exercise for people with arthritis helps her immensely. She does them in the deep end of the pool, wearing a belt that keeps her from putting any weight on her feet.

Julie on 2/01/03 at 11:04 (107620)

This is interesting. I wonder if it's because the feet are plantarflexed while swimming. Also there would be the pressure of the water, as one kicks against it. Just a guess - I'll have to think about this one next time I go swimming!

diana on 2/01/03 at 19:53 (107661)

I'm wondering if it's the water pressure too and also flexing your feet so much. I thought water exercise was suppposed to be good for anything that ails you but I used to think the same thing about walking. Diana

Dr. Z on 2/01/03 at 20:50 (107664)

This is the first time I have heard that Water exercises made feet feel worse. The action of gravity is gone or also gone with water. Very important to try to go into RA classes only. They keep the pool water warmer with RA classes

diana on 2/02/03 at 00:07 (107681)

This is a RA class with warm water. I think it is all the twisting and flexing your feet do when you are in the water that hurt mine. It feels like stinging sensations in my feet and ankle. Diana

carynz on 2/03/03 at 09:28 (107806)

this is interesting info because my doctor just suggested that i thimk about taking a water exercise class since there would be little or no pressure on my foot being in the pool.

will hav to watch that.

cheers,

carynz

SteveG on 2/03/03 at 23:13 (107887)

Yes - I noticed when I was swimming my feet would bother me. I think it might have come from having my foot flexed
downward for such a long period of time. Now that I do water running and keep my feet in a more neutral position, I have not experienced any problems

Mar on 2/04/03 at 13:16 (107941)

Wow I am surprised! I have severe PF and water is one of the few things that gives me relief for a little while. I do at least 3 hours of water exercise/swimming per week and it is wonderful. I do not walk on the bottom of the pool at all and only use birkis around pool - no barefeet. Even a shower gives me slight relief. Mar

diana on 2/04/03 at 22:22 (108029)

Thanks for the comments. I have done nothing different except start water exercises so I think that is what has to be the cause of this relapse all of a sudden. My theory is that if it is only plantar Fascitis swimming loosens up your feet and makes them feel better. I think if it's a nerve problem it stimulates the nerves and they maybe fire off more and cause pain. After my feet feel better, I will try the water again but try not to flex so much. I have noticed my feet get worse if I stand on my tiptoes or so down steps alot and they aren't so bad if I just walk normally. Believe it or not my feet have improved over the years. they got better when I stopped stretching them and stopped wearing orthotics. I don't hike as much as I used to but I do walk around the neighbborhood and go on a level hike ever so often. I had surgery for PF and TT and it didn't help a bit. Before that I tried every thing almost that has been mentioned on this board. I have taken Nuerotin and it helped too but I never take the full dosage. (Don't like pills). Thanks, Diana

Mar on 2/05/03 at 17:22 (108110)

Well, you know, the body is a mystery and each person reacts differently. For example, in the summer I biked 10-15 miles a day with no additional pain. I bought a stationary bike in November and after using it for 10 minutes, the pain level increased dramatically. Tried it a few times more, and the same thing happened. Go figure! That's when I switched to swimming. Good luck -- Mar