Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bone scan

Posted by Rachel W. on 2/01/03 at 10:16 (107615)

I had a bone scan last week due to pain in my left ankle, right big toe, right knee, wrists, back and chest.

It all started about a year ago with pain in my right heel which has now passed but spread to other places which I'm still suffering from.

My question is the bone scan showed up white areas on the screen which is where my pain is. Can someone tell me what that means?

Blood tests and X-rays show nothing abnormal by the way.

Thankyou.

Rachel.

Re: Can someone answer me please. I'm worried.Re: Bone scan

Rachel W. on 2/02/03 at 11:35 (107703)

I should have asked the people that carried the bone scan out at the time but I was relieved to see that where I was having pain, you could see that I wasn't making it up.

I made an appointment to see the rheumatologist who sent me for the bone scan but the earliest appointment for him is 3rd March. So I have to wait until then for the results. Also for the results of more bloodtests that I've had.

I've searched on the internet about white areas on bone scans but I keep seeing the word 'Cancer' which is freaking me out.

Could someone reassure me that it could be something else.

I'd appreciate an answer very much.

Thankyou.

Rachel.

Julie on 2/02/03 at 12:20 (107709)

Rachel

White areas on bone scans can mean cancer, but they can mean other things too - the site of a previous injury, for example, would show up as a white spot. If you're worried, don't wait until 3 March: call the rheumatologist who ordered the scan now. I hope he'll be able to reassure you.

I'm not a doctor, but wanted to offer this while you're waiting for one of the doctors to respond.

Dr. Z on 2/02/03 at 13:03 (107712)

I agree call your doctor asap to get this out of your mine. I doubt if is anything serious.

Rachel W. on 2/02/03 at 16:04 (107726)

Can it mean arthritis, which is what I've suspected all along.

Thanks.

Rachel.

Dr. Z on 2/02/03 at 18:13 (107752)

Yes. What you have to understand a bone scan if very general with regards to a diagnosis. It only measure blood flow to the area . Usually when a bone scan for pf is order is too rule out stress fracture.

Rachel W. on 2/02/03 at 11:35 (107703)

I should have asked the people that carried the bone scan out at the time but I was relieved to see that where I was having pain, you could see that I wasn't making it up.

I made an appointment to see the rheumatologist who sent me for the bone scan but the earliest appointment for him is 3rd March. So I have to wait until then for the results. Also for the results of more bloodtests that I've had.

I've searched on the internet about white areas on bone scans but I keep seeing the word 'Cancer' which is freaking me out.

Could someone reassure me that it could be something else.

I'd appreciate an answer very much.

Thankyou.

Rachel.

Julie on 2/02/03 at 12:20 (107709)

Rachel

White areas on bone scans can mean cancer, but they can mean other things too - the site of a previous injury, for example, would show up as a white spot. If you're worried, don't wait until 3 March: call the rheumatologist who ordered the scan now. I hope he'll be able to reassure you.

I'm not a doctor, but wanted to offer this while you're waiting for one of the doctors to respond.

Dr. Z on 2/02/03 at 13:03 (107712)

I agree call your doctor asap to get this out of your mine. I doubt if is anything serious.

Rachel W. on 2/02/03 at 16:04 (107726)

Can it mean arthritis, which is what I've suspected all along.

Thanks.

Rachel.

Dr. Z on 2/02/03 at 18:13 (107752)

Yes. What you have to understand a bone scan if very general with regards to a diagnosis. It only measure blood flow to the area . Usually when a bone scan for pf is order is too rule out stress fracture.