Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question for podiatrist

Posted by DanielleO on 2/01/03 at 13:56 (107628)

I've been wearing Dansco shoes which have helped with the heel pain tremendously. However I have noticed lately upon waking that my toes seem to be tingly progressing to painful lately when I first stand up to walk. Then it goes a way after a minute. Should I be concerned about this? what could be the cause? Could it be from wearing the shoes?
Thanks for any comments!!

Re: question for a podiatrist.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/31/03 at 07:15 (107461)

Mary, I am not a podiatrist but until one answers, I'd like to point out that a lot of podiatrists recommend Birkenstocks for their PF patients.

Perhaps your podiatrist is concerned about the 'lowered heel' of Birkenstocks, which is tough on those with Achilles tendonitis if they are worn constantly. I had Achilles tendonitis along with my PF, and was told to wear my SAS shoes with custom orthotics during the day at work and so on, and Birkenstocks for a few hours in the evening for variety.

Another concern might be due to some individual foot problem that you have. Birkenstocks are helpful for most feet with PF, but I'm sure that neither they nor any other shoe are helpful for all feet with all foot conditions.

Carole C

Dr. Z on 1/31/03 at 07:46 (107462)

I have found that SAS is an excellent shoe for patient with plantar fasciitis, pronation and who stand on hard surfaces such as cement floor.
Which is better is a personal choice. If you have abnormal pronation this needs to be controlled and SAS with an orthosis is very good

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/31/03 at 19:32 (107528)

Mary:
This is an area where there are not absolute right or wrong answers. If the Birks are comfortable and give you good support there may not be an advantage to the SAS shoes. The SAS shoes are good for accomodating orthotics but without orthotics would have less support than the Birks. Occasionally the counter of the shoe can place pressure against the tarsal tunnel area and cause pain. Patients who encounter that situation may feel better with an open back shoe such as Birks.
Ed

Julie on 2/01/03 at 04:48 (107579)

Mary

There is no one shoe that is right for all PF or TTS patients. SAS shoes are highly thought of here and have helped people, but so are/have Birkenstocks. They are both reputable makes of shoe. It sounds as though you've discovered this for yourself, and if both shoes make your feet feel better, I'd say carry on as you have been.

Re: question for podiatrist

Dr. Z on 2/01/03 at 19:36 (107658)

This could be nothing or it could be the start of tarsal tunnel syndrome.
Stretch your feet before you start to get out of bed for five minutes . If this continues time to have your podiatrist examine your feet

Carole C in NOLA on 1/31/03 at 07:15 (107461)

Mary, I am not a podiatrist but until one answers, I'd like to point out that a lot of podiatrists recommend Birkenstocks for their PF patients.

Perhaps your podiatrist is concerned about the 'lowered heel' of Birkenstocks, which is tough on those with Achilles tendonitis if they are worn constantly. I had Achilles tendonitis along with my PF, and was told to wear my SAS shoes with custom orthotics during the day at work and so on, and Birkenstocks for a few hours in the evening for variety.

Another concern might be due to some individual foot problem that you have. Birkenstocks are helpful for most feet with PF, but I'm sure that neither they nor any other shoe are helpful for all feet with all foot conditions.

Carole C

Dr. Z on 1/31/03 at 07:46 (107462)

I have found that SAS is an excellent shoe for patient with plantar fasciitis, pronation and who stand on hard surfaces such as cement floor.
Which is better is a personal choice. If you have abnormal pronation this needs to be controlled and SAS with an orthosis is very good

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/31/03 at 19:32 (107528)

Mary:
This is an area where there are not absolute right or wrong answers. If the Birks are comfortable and give you good support there may not be an advantage to the SAS shoes. The SAS shoes are good for accomodating orthotics but without orthotics would have less support than the Birks. Occasionally the counter of the shoe can place pressure against the tarsal tunnel area and cause pain. Patients who encounter that situation may feel better with an open back shoe such as Birks.
Ed

Julie on 2/01/03 at 04:48 (107579)

Mary

There is no one shoe that is right for all PF or TTS patients. SAS shoes are highly thought of here and have helped people, but so are/have Birkenstocks. They are both reputable makes of shoe. It sounds as though you've discovered this for yourself, and if both shoes make your feet feel better, I'd say carry on as you have been.

Re: question for podiatrist

Dr. Z on 2/01/03 at 19:36 (107658)

This could be nothing or it could be the start of tarsal tunnel syndrome.
Stretch your feet before you start to get out of bed for five minutes . If this continues time to have your podiatrist examine your feet