Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Differentiating ESWT Machines

Posted by BruceF on 2/01/03 at 18:52 (107650)

I have been researching ESWT and need some help as it relates to the different manufacturers. I've read about the Ossatron and Dornier's Epos Ultra. In Germany the equivalent of Lithotripsy has been successfully used on heelspurs, but I am not finding an approved site in the States. I was hoping to see a modality that reduces or eliminates the calcification that causes the heelspur through the use of ESWT rather than just working on the soft tissue surrounding the heelspur. I would appreciate some help. I live in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago and you would think in this large metro area there would be a provider that can do this procedure and provide relief. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks to all who respond.

Re: Differentiating ESWT Machines

Dr. Z on 2/01/03 at 19:25 (107653)

Hi
The entire concept is based on stimulating the torn and or injured plantar fascia at the insertion, leading to a repair of new tissue and thus healing with removal of pain There are no ESWT devices in the world that break up the heel spur or calcification. There is need to destroy or removal the heel spur. Both the ossatron and the epos are high energy machines that micro-trauma the torn or damaged plantar fascia at its insertion. Why do you desire the calcification to be broken up when we know this isn't someting that is needed. Be very happy to answer any and all questions that you may have about ESWT and or feet.

BruceF on 2/02/03 at 11:51 (107704)

Dr. Z Thanks for the response. My thought was to look into a procedure that is similar to a lithotripsy for kidney stones (crush thenm through shock waves and void the remnants). As history, about 6 months ago I experienced plantar fasciatiis and heel spur. The DPM recommended orthotics (No x-ray was taken)and do stretching of the calf muscles. No appreciable relief was obtained. In between the DPM and MD (orthopod) I was at my YMCA were the masseur said give me three visits and I'll take of the plantar pain. After three vigourous massages of the the plantar (each one being less painful, the pain from the plantar was gone but the heel spur pain remained) Next step was an orthopod who took x-rays and saw a heel spur and gave me a cortisone injection with the possibility of a second injection. I am ready for the second injection but was also exploring ESWT as an alternative. I am quite active and the inability to play (handball) is affecting my emotional well being. Any thoughts?

Dr. Z on 2/02/03 at 12:32 (107711)

So the pain has been getting less and less. If it has you are on the right track. If the pain is over six months then the ESWT could be the trick. The key is pain and pain on examination where the plantar fascia inserts into the bottom of the heel pain.

BrianG on 2/02/03 at 17:27 (107745)

Hi Bruce,

If the ESWT treatment could break up your calcified spurs, how would you be able to 'void' them?

BrianG

Dr. Z on 2/02/03 at 18:40 (107756)

It does dissolve the calcification with eswt used in the treatment of insertional pain for the shoulder and sometimes the elbow. The dissolving had nothing to do with pain resolution

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/03/03 at 14:14 (107823)

Brian:

Most heel 'spurs' are composed of bone, not just calcium deposits so it would not be possible to break them up via ESWT -- not to mention, as you know, the cause of pain does not emanate from the 'spur.'
Ed

Dr. Z on 2/01/03 at 19:25 (107653)

Hi
The entire concept is based on stimulating the torn and or injured plantar fascia at the insertion, leading to a repair of new tissue and thus healing with removal of pain There are no ESWT devices in the world that break up the heel spur or calcification. There is need to destroy or removal the heel spur. Both the ossatron and the epos are high energy machines that micro-trauma the torn or damaged plantar fascia at its insertion. Why do you desire the calcification to be broken up when we know this isn't someting that is needed. Be very happy to answer any and all questions that you may have about ESWT and or feet.

BruceF on 2/02/03 at 11:51 (107704)

Dr. Z Thanks for the response. My thought was to look into a procedure that is similar to a lithotripsy for kidney stones (crush thenm through shock waves and void the remnants). As history, about 6 months ago I experienced plantar fasciatiis and heel spur. The DPM recommended orthotics (No x-ray was taken)and do stretching of the calf muscles. No appreciable relief was obtained. In between the DPM and MD (orthopod) I was at my YMCA were the masseur said give me three visits and I'll take of the plantar pain. After three vigourous massages of the the plantar (each one being less painful, the pain from the plantar was gone but the heel spur pain remained) Next step was an orthopod who took x-rays and saw a heel spur and gave me a cortisone injection with the possibility of a second injection. I am ready for the second injection but was also exploring ESWT as an alternative. I am quite active and the inability to play (handball) is affecting my emotional well being. Any thoughts?

Dr. Z on 2/02/03 at 12:32 (107711)

So the pain has been getting less and less. If it has you are on the right track. If the pain is over six months then the ESWT could be the trick. The key is pain and pain on examination where the plantar fascia inserts into the bottom of the heel pain.

BrianG on 2/02/03 at 17:27 (107745)

Hi Bruce,

If the ESWT treatment could break up your calcified spurs, how would you be able to 'void' them?

BrianG

Dr. Z on 2/02/03 at 18:40 (107756)

It does dissolve the calcification with eswt used in the treatment of insertional pain for the shoulder and sometimes the elbow. The dissolving had nothing to do with pain resolution

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/03/03 at 14:14 (107823)

Brian:

Most heel 'spurs' are composed of bone, not just calcium deposits so it would not be possible to break them up via ESWT -- not to mention, as you know, the cause of pain does not emanate from the 'spur.'
Ed