Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Physical Therapy and TTS

Posted by Susan T on 2/01/03 at 21:10 (107665)

I was recently dx with TTS and PT was recommended. During the 1st tx they did elec. stimulation and ultra sound and then stretching during which time the therapist pulled my foot downward. It was gentle and done in intervals but the day after my TTS was awful. Any comments. Any suggestions on good and bad tx techniqes for PT. Thanks This is all new to me. Can use all and any suggestions.

Re: Physical Therapy and TTS

marie e on 2/02/03 at 16:43 (107731)

I had both good and bad experiences with PT. First ask your physical theropist if he has ever treated anyone withh tts. My PT assumed he could treat my feet the same way as someone with PF. I was his first victim for tts. He massaged directly over the tarsal tunnel area. My feet swelled and have never been the same. He did do a great job at improving the pain and numbness in my meta tarsals...I attribute all of that to him. I do my own exercises now and my husband massages my feet and calves. I do better when I work at my own pace....tts recovery is slow. Overuse or activity seems to make my tts worse. I won't return to a doctor or PT if they are unwilling to take them time to read about tts.....I am the client and I expect them to give me my monies worth.

marie

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/03/03 at 14:25 (107826)

Susan:
Your PT may want to consider iontophoresis.
Ed

Lara T on 2/03/03 at 15:10 (107831)

I just got back from my PT and showed her this thread. She said that stretching aggravates nerves, so if stretching aggravates it, you might want to look at issues related to nerves. She also said going over the nerves with anything stimulating will aggravate the nerves. She does massage & uses her machine (I forget if it's ultrasound or elec stim - I think it's ultrasound) on my feet - but never over the nerves. HOpe this helps.

eileenc on 2/05/03 at 08:03 (108061)

What is iontoporesis?
(dx TTs over 6 years ago; one unsuccessful TTs surgery;pain/swelling now down into the arch)

marie e on 2/02/03 at 16:43 (107731)

I had both good and bad experiences with PT. First ask your physical theropist if he has ever treated anyone withh tts. My PT assumed he could treat my feet the same way as someone with PF. I was his first victim for tts. He massaged directly over the tarsal tunnel area. My feet swelled and have never been the same. He did do a great job at improving the pain and numbness in my meta tarsals...I attribute all of that to him. I do my own exercises now and my husband massages my feet and calves. I do better when I work at my own pace....tts recovery is slow. Overuse or activity seems to make my tts worse. I won't return to a doctor or PT if they are unwilling to take them time to read about tts.....I am the client and I expect them to give me my monies worth.

marie

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/03/03 at 14:25 (107826)

Susan:
Your PT may want to consider iontophoresis.
Ed

Lara T on 2/03/03 at 15:10 (107831)

I just got back from my PT and showed her this thread. She said that stretching aggravates nerves, so if stretching aggravates it, you might want to look at issues related to nerves. She also said going over the nerves with anything stimulating will aggravate the nerves. She does massage & uses her machine (I forget if it's ultrasound or elec stim - I think it's ultrasound) on my feet - but never over the nerves. HOpe this helps.

eileenc on 2/05/03 at 08:03 (108061)

What is iontoporesis?
(dx TTs over 6 years ago; one unsuccessful TTs surgery;pain/swelling now down into the arch)

Lolly O on 3/06/03 at 09:58 (111994)

I have been going to PT and having elec. stimulation and ultra sound also.
He also rubs my feet and found tissues knots in the bottom of my feet.
He rubs them (trying to dissolve them) This is very painful. Anyone else have these tissue knots?

Thanks