Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dread getting out of bed!

Posted by Deb on 2/01/03 at 21:30 (107669)

I had a heel fusion 9 mths. ago. Since being out of the cast I have severe pain when I get up in the morning. I can put NO weight on my foot. This pain does not go away. If I sit for even a few minutes and get up, it is bery painful to get going again.....therefore I stay on my feet all day at work...that pain is more tolerable. If anyone has any idea what this is, please let me know. Thank You.

Re: Dread getting out of bed!

Dr. Z on 2/02/03 at 10:18 (107695)

What kind of fusion did you have? It sounds like either plantar fasciitis or achilles tenonditis. May need physical Therapy, orthosis. What has your treating doctor told you so far ?

Julie on 2/02/03 at 12:15 (107706)

Deb, I don't know what the problem is with your feet, but 'first step pain' on getting out of bed or when getting up from sitting is typical of plantar fasciitis and occurs because the feet have been in a plantar flexed position. You may be able to minimise, if not completely avoid, the pain by doing a few simple exercises before you get out of bed, and before getting up from sitting. If you click on the word yoga here, you'll be taken to a post of mine that describes some gentle exercises that you may find helpful.

If you do have PF, standing all day is probably not a very good idea. See if you can't deal with the getting-up pain through gentle exercise.

Deb on 2/03/03 at 21:03 (107869)

Thank you for replying. I had a subtalar heel fusion. I read the symptoms of plantar fascitis and achilles tendonitis, and I dont seem to have those symptoms. My pain is not on the bottom of my foot, it is concentrated around my ankle. Both sides of my foot in the back (under the ankle bone)are swollen, even in the morning. I go back to my Dr. tomorrow.

Deb on 2/03/03 at 21:10 (107870)

Hi Julie, thanks for replying to my message. I had heel spur surgery 51/2 years ago and have had 4 corrective surgeries since then. My last surgery was a subtalar heel fusion. I've had constant pain around my ankle since the cast came off. I read the symptoms of plantar fascitis and it is not the bottom of my foot that hurts, it is on both sides of my foot, under the ankle bone. I go back to my Pod. tomorrow. Im so worried he'll say I may need another surgery. Anyway, I will be using the excercises I read from youre post. Thanks again.

Dr. Z on 2/03/03 at 23:04 (107885)

The fusion may need be completely fused.

Julie on 2/04/03 at 05:03 (107897)

Deb

Wow. That's a lot of surgery.

With regard to the exercises - please go gently, and don't expect them to take care of the pain. What they will do is loosen your joints and gently stretch the muscles so that the part of your pain that may be coming from stiffness (caused by not moving during the night) may be reduced. I hope they help you a little bit, and I hope there is a non-surgical solution to your problems.

Good luck!

Dr. Z on 2/04/03 at 06:57 (107904)

It should read that our fusion may NOT be completely fused

Deb on 2/11/03 at 20:56 (108884)

Thanks Dr. Z....you were right. The fusion is not completely healed and My Dr. said I have to take a disability from work. I hope I dont get denied disability.....I really need it.

Dr. Z on 2/11/03 at 21:03 (108885)

You may want to consider a bone stimulator. This is used for fusions that aren't healing or aren't completely healed. How long has it been since the fusion surgery?

Dr. Z on 2/02/03 at 10:18 (107695)

What kind of fusion did you have? It sounds like either plantar fasciitis or achilles tenonditis. May need physical Therapy, orthosis. What has your treating doctor told you so far ?

Julie on 2/02/03 at 12:15 (107706)

Deb, I don't know what the problem is with your feet, but 'first step pain' on getting out of bed or when getting up from sitting is typical of plantar fasciitis and occurs because the feet have been in a plantar flexed position. You may be able to minimise, if not completely avoid, the pain by doing a few simple exercises before you get out of bed, and before getting up from sitting. If you click on the word yoga here, you'll be taken to a post of mine that describes some gentle exercises that you may find helpful.

If you do have PF, standing all day is probably not a very good idea. See if you can't deal with the getting-up pain through gentle exercise.

Deb on 2/03/03 at 21:03 (107869)

Thank you for replying. I had a subtalar heel fusion. I read the symptoms of plantar fascitis and achilles tendonitis, and I dont seem to have those symptoms. My pain is not on the bottom of my foot, it is concentrated around my ankle. Both sides of my foot in the back (under the ankle bone)are swollen, even in the morning. I go back to my Dr. tomorrow.

Deb on 2/03/03 at 21:10 (107870)

Hi Julie, thanks for replying to my message. I had heel spur surgery 51/2 years ago and have had 4 corrective surgeries since then. My last surgery was a subtalar heel fusion. I've had constant pain around my ankle since the cast came off. I read the symptoms of plantar fascitis and it is not the bottom of my foot that hurts, it is on both sides of my foot, under the ankle bone. I go back to my Pod. tomorrow. Im so worried he'll say I may need another surgery. Anyway, I will be using the excercises I read from youre post. Thanks again.

Dr. Z on 2/03/03 at 23:04 (107885)

The fusion may need be completely fused.

Julie on 2/04/03 at 05:03 (107897)

Deb

Wow. That's a lot of surgery.

With regard to the exercises - please go gently, and don't expect them to take care of the pain. What they will do is loosen your joints and gently stretch the muscles so that the part of your pain that may be coming from stiffness (caused by not moving during the night) may be reduced. I hope they help you a little bit, and I hope there is a non-surgical solution to your problems.

Good luck!

Dr. Z on 2/04/03 at 06:57 (107904)

It should read that our fusion may NOT be completely fused

Deb on 2/11/03 at 20:56 (108884)

Thanks Dr. Z....you were right. The fusion is not completely healed and My Dr. said I have to take a disability from work. I hope I dont get denied disability.....I really need it.

Dr. Z on 2/11/03 at 21:03 (108885)

You may want to consider a bone stimulator. This is used for fusions that aren't healing or aren't completely healed. How long has it been since the fusion surgery?

Deb on 2/23/03 at 20:56 (110552)

I do use a bone stimulator ten hours a day. I had the fusion done 7 months ago. What makes it so painful to get up on my feet? I wonder if you could also tell me any possible reason why this didnt heal yet. Thank you for your replies.