Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Small fonts

Posted by Scott R on 2/02/03 at 12:09 (107705)

Does the message board show up in really small fonts on anyone's computer?

Re: Small fonts

Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/03 at 12:18 (107707)

The fonts are averaged sized on mine.

Some people were talking on the Social/Support board about how they change the size of the fonts here. I think they all had Macs.

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/02/03 at 12:24 (107710)

Well, as you know, Scott, they do on mine. And what's interesting is that when I click on a message, it goes back to its usual form but then goes back to the small font when the message appears. And yes, there was discussion of fonts on the social board but I never did anything to my computer because I didn't understand what they were talking about!!

nancy s. on 2/02/03 at 15:18 (107722)

no.

Re: It's my computer - don't buy an HP!

Kathy G on 2/02/03 at 16:46 (107735)

Lonog story made short. My optical mouse with scroll wheel has been acting up of late - it keeps scrolling on its own. Found out from AOL that if you accidentally hit Control while it's scrolling it will affect your font size. They told me how to fix it but it's not working on this site. Will get help next week.

This is the FOURTH optical mouse that HP has sent me since June. They insist that I keep getting defective mice. Now I ask you????

Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/03 at 22:06 (107772)

Sorry to hear about your defective mice! (mouses? LOL) Can you use a regular mouse with an HP? I know they are kind of different from other computers in some ways. A mouse that works does not cost too much, unless you have to use the HP brand.

I have a Sony Vaio computer, which you might like to look at the next time you buy a computer if you decide not to get another HP. Sony Vaio isn't one of the top rated computers, but I'm happy with it.

Carole C

Re: I take it back - HP helped me but....

Kathy G on 2/05/03 at 18:21 (108118)

it was still their stupid mouse that was to blame. At any rate, I have hooked up my old mouse, which doesn't scroll, and I'll use that one and my husband can take his chances with the scrolling mouse. The computer is still on guarantee and I called HP and a very nice service tech in Nova Scotia helped me out and got the text on this board back to normal. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I followed his directions and everything is find and dandy now. It was because I was on this site when the mouse went crazy that this was the only site on which the small text continued. I'm telling you - it was at about a 4 font and I couldn't read a thing!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/03 at 20:26 (108138)

I'm glad it's fixed now! :) I am so old fashioned that I prefer non-scrolling mouses (mice?)

Carole C

nancy s. on 2/06/03 at 13:48 (108231)

kathy, what is a scrolling mouse???

i'm trying to picture a 4 font. it would look like a straight line to me!

nancy

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 14:08 (108236)

Well, I might have exaggerated. I could read it - but barely. Actually, just for fun, I just checked what an 8 font would look like on Microsoft Works and that's about what it was set at.

A scrolling mouse is a regular mouse that has a wheel on it. You control the wheel with your finger and it scrolls up and down the page you're reading. The idea is that you don't have to move the mouse around. I just read that scrolling mice (or mouses??) can exacerbate or cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Needless to say, the scrolling mouse, which doesn't work anyhow, has been detached from the computer.

The guy I talked to at HP was really nice and after I told him all I'd tried to do to rectify the problem, he thought a long time and finally decided to create a new user on my computer. So now, there's an Owner and an Admininstrator on my computer. I'm the administrator and he says I have much more power. I don't have a clue what administators can do but I think you can control the computer. Like it matters in our house! Neither of us really knows what we're doing! What is interesting is that if I log on as the Owner and go to this page, the text is small. If I log on as Administrator, it's normal size. My computer just set the smaller type as default when the mouse went mad. Along with the fact that he was helpful, I got to listen to his delightful Novia Scotia accent!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/03 at 12:18 (107707)

The fonts are averaged sized on mine.

Some people were talking on the Social/Support board about how they change the size of the fonts here. I think they all had Macs.

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/02/03 at 12:24 (107710)

Well, as you know, Scott, they do on mine. And what's interesting is that when I click on a message, it goes back to its usual form but then goes back to the small font when the message appears. And yes, there was discussion of fonts on the social board but I never did anything to my computer because I didn't understand what they were talking about!!

nancy s. on 2/02/03 at 15:18 (107722)

no.

Kathy G on 2/02/03 at 16:46 (107735)

Lonog story made short. My optical mouse with scroll wheel has been acting up of late - it keeps scrolling on its own. Found out from AOL that if you accidentally hit Control while it's scrolling it will affect your font size. They told me how to fix it but it's not working on this site. Will get help next week.

This is the FOURTH optical mouse that HP has sent me since June. They insist that I keep getting defective mice. Now I ask you????

Carole C in NOLA on 2/02/03 at 22:06 (107772)

Sorry to hear about your defective mice! (mouses? LOL) Can you use a regular mouse with an HP? I know they are kind of different from other computers in some ways. A mouse that works does not cost too much, unless you have to use the HP brand.

I have a Sony Vaio computer, which you might like to look at the next time you buy a computer if you decide not to get another HP. Sony Vaio isn't one of the top rated computers, but I'm happy with it.

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/05/03 at 18:21 (108118)

it was still their stupid mouse that was to blame. At any rate, I have hooked up my old mouse, which doesn't scroll, and I'll use that one and my husband can take his chances with the scrolling mouse. The computer is still on guarantee and I called HP and a very nice service tech in Nova Scotia helped me out and got the text on this board back to normal. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I followed his directions and everything is find and dandy now. It was because I was on this site when the mouse went crazy that this was the only site on which the small text continued. I'm telling you - it was at about a 4 font and I couldn't read a thing!

Carole C in NOLA on 2/05/03 at 20:26 (108138)

I'm glad it's fixed now! :) I am so old fashioned that I prefer non-scrolling mouses (mice?)

Carole C

nancy s. on 2/06/03 at 13:48 (108231)

kathy, what is a scrolling mouse???

i'm trying to picture a 4 font. it would look like a straight line to me!

nancy

Kathy G on 2/06/03 at 14:08 (108236)

Well, I might have exaggerated. I could read it - but barely. Actually, just for fun, I just checked what an 8 font would look like on Microsoft Works and that's about what it was set at.

A scrolling mouse is a regular mouse that has a wheel on it. You control the wheel with your finger and it scrolls up and down the page you're reading. The idea is that you don't have to move the mouse around. I just read that scrolling mice (or mouses??) can exacerbate or cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Needless to say, the scrolling mouse, which doesn't work anyhow, has been detached from the computer.

The guy I talked to at HP was really nice and after I told him all I'd tried to do to rectify the problem, he thought a long time and finally decided to create a new user on my computer. So now, there's an Owner and an Admininstrator on my computer. I'm the administrator and he says I have much more power. I don't have a clue what administators can do but I think you can control the computer. Like it matters in our house! Neither of us really knows what we're doing! What is interesting is that if I log on as the Owner and go to this page, the text is small. If I log on as Administrator, it's normal size. My computer just set the smaller type as default when the mouse went mad. Along with the fact that he was helpful, I got to listen to his delightful Novia Scotia accent!