Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A weekend we will never forget

Posted by Necee on 2/02/03 at 21:38 (107768)

I'm sure all of you have heard the tragic news about the space shuttle.
As many of you know, I live in Texas, so this weekend is one we will never forget.

My husband and I were a witness to the tragedy. He was outside our cabin Saturday morning and I was inside. At about 8:03am we heard this horrific boom, and then another, followed by a very lound rumbling sound. It was unlike anything we had ever heard before. The boom was so lound that it rattled the windows and scared our neighbors dog, she came running to the cabin, wanting to hide inside. I ran to the door and yelled at my husband, who was running towards the cabin. Since our ranch is in a rural area, and with a very large propane tank just over the next hill from us, we thought it had exploded. He jumped in the pickup and drove that direction, I stayed outside and began looking around, as I searched the clear blue sky, my eyes caught a glimpse of a series of vapor trails, and something just didn't seem right. My husband returned and we both stood and watched in amazement as the vapor trails drifted in all different directions. By this time, my cousin who lives down the hill called, she had heard the explosion too. We turned on the TV, they were giving reports that NASA had lost contact with the space shuttle. And the rest is history. There was a piece of the shuttle found about 8 miles to the north of us, and about 100 or more pieces to the east about 10 miles.
The main debris field is to the south east of where our ranch is.
I'm just completely shocked that there were no injuries on the ground from falling debris. One farmer had a large flatbed trailer parked near his home, a large piece of the shuttle fell and crashed through the middle of his trailer.
We drove over our pasture searching for anything that might have come from the shuttle, but so far have found nothing.

This all seems so unreal.
My thoughts and prayers go to the many families who are devasted because of this horrible accident.

God bless this great nation!!

Necee

Re: A weekend we will never forget

nancy s. on 2/03/03 at 03:57 (107785)

necee, you certainly had a trying and scary day. like you, i find it absolutely amazing that no one on the ground was injured. i read that a piece even crashed through the roof of a dentist's office -- while he and other people were in there! amazing, and very fortunate. you were too close for comfort yourself -- glad you're ok.

nancy

Julie on 2/03/03 at 04:06 (107787)

Necee, I was thinking of you yesterday as we watched the news on TV. There was an interview with a woman who must have been as close to the blast as you were, and she said very similar things. It must have been absolutely terrifying. And yes, what a miracle that no-one on the ground was killed or badly injured.

Looking at the pictures now, of those brave people walking towards the shuttle in their orange space suits before the flight is heartbreaking.

Necee on 2/03/03 at 08:29 (107797)

Yes Julie, those pictures are heartbreaking to watch now. At least we can all find comfort in knowing that they died doing something they strongly believed in.

As night fell Saturday night, we went outside and looked towards the black Texas sky. As billions of stars twinkled above us, I said a prayer, and reflected on the events of the day, thankful that everyone around us was ok, and asked God to give all the families, as well as NASA, the many law enforcements agencies, and hundreds of volunteers the strength to make it through the days that lie ahead.

Necee

Suzanne D on 2/03/03 at 15:14 (107833)

I kept thinking of you Saturday, Necee. I believed you lived near the area where the shuttle remains were found, but I couldn't quite remember.

I, too, am thankful no one was hurt from the wreckage. It has been a sobering weekend. We began school with a moment of silence for the lives lost, and our flag is at half-staff in front of the school.

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 2/03/03 at 03:57 (107785)

necee, you certainly had a trying and scary day. like you, i find it absolutely amazing that no one on the ground was injured. i read that a piece even crashed through the roof of a dentist's office -- while he and other people were in there! amazing, and very fortunate. you were too close for comfort yourself -- glad you're ok.

nancy

Julie on 2/03/03 at 04:06 (107787)

Necee, I was thinking of you yesterday as we watched the news on TV. There was an interview with a woman who must have been as close to the blast as you were, and she said very similar things. It must have been absolutely terrifying. And yes, what a miracle that no-one on the ground was killed or badly injured.

Looking at the pictures now, of those brave people walking towards the shuttle in their orange space suits before the flight is heartbreaking.

Necee on 2/03/03 at 08:29 (107797)

Yes Julie, those pictures are heartbreaking to watch now. At least we can all find comfort in knowing that they died doing something they strongly believed in.

As night fell Saturday night, we went outside and looked towards the black Texas sky. As billions of stars twinkled above us, I said a prayer, and reflected on the events of the day, thankful that everyone around us was ok, and asked God to give all the families, as well as NASA, the many law enforcements agencies, and hundreds of volunteers the strength to make it through the days that lie ahead.

Necee

Suzanne D on 2/03/03 at 15:14 (107833)

I kept thinking of you Saturday, Necee. I believed you lived near the area where the shuttle remains were found, but I couldn't quite remember.

I, too, am thankful no one was hurt from the wreckage. It has been a sobering weekend. We began school with a moment of silence for the lives lost, and our flag is at half-staff in front of the school.

Take care,
Suzanne :-)