Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what shoe can be used like a slipper?

Posted by JoAnn on 2/03/03 at 00:57 (107778)

I've been wearing Birks for over a year, they are hurting the bottom of my feet and causing calluses on the sides. I bought the 'wide' (Reg) and they seem to still dig in. Is anyone else having this problem? I would also like to know if there is any other shoe that can be worn at home that would be comfortable plus supportive? I have PF and calluses on the balls of my feet. Thank you

Re: what shoe can be used like a slipper?

Julie on 2/03/03 at 03:54 (107784)

JoAnn

I wonder if your Birks are too small for you. The correct size often strikes people as 'too big' when they try a pair of Birks on for the first time! If it's the Arizona sandals that you have, they should overlap the foot all around and clear the toes by half an inch. Perhaps the next size up would be all right? Just a thought.

You might also try a different style of Birk - they have hundreds now, though the basic Arizona is the one lots of (but not all) people here have used.

A chiropodist would be able to remove the calluses so that pressure on those areas doesn't cause pain.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/03/03 at 06:43 (107793)

JoAnn,

Julie's ideas are good ones.

I would recommend that you go to a Birkenstock store, if there is one within an hour or two of your location. Explain the problem to the fitter there and see if they can fit you a little better.

I have several different styles of Birkenstock. Because my feet are also wide like yours, I was wearing a size 40 that was really too long for me so the 'bumps' hit my foot in the wrong place. I went to a Birkenstock store and mentioned that fact to one of their fitters, who found that in my case I could wear a 39 in a certain style with the same classic footbed, due to the way the upper positioned my foot. I also got some in another footbed.

I've found that alternating between my various pairs of Birkenstocks gives my feet a rest and is a lot more comfortable than any one pair of them would be.

Some people here have liked Dansko clogs, so you might want to try them too.

Carole C

Barb C on 2/03/03 at 18:52 (107851)

Hi JoAnn,
Funny you should ask. I just got home from buying my new 'slippers'. I bought Haflinger wool clogs. They felt lighter than Birks, and are very roomie. I was laughing with the salesperson. Other people get to buy $18 Isotoners - and here I am with $80 things that no one will ever see! Let me wear them for a few days and I'll give you an update.

Mar on 2/04/03 at 13:10 (107938)

I use Clark clogs - soft, molded footbed and easier to get used to than the birks. Mar

Barb C on 2/10/03 at 22:08 (108762)

Hi JoAnn,
An update on my Haflinger clogs. I LOVE them! Very comfie. I would totally recommend them.

JoAnn on 2/12/03 at 01:01 (108899)

Thanks for the update. Do these clogs support your feet? Are there any other clogs I can look into that would be less expensive?

Mar on 2/12/03 at 06:58 (108903)

I don;t think any clogs totally support your foot, but any with the molded foot bed and sunker heel cup would be better than without. Mar

Julie on 2/03/03 at 03:54 (107784)

JoAnn

I wonder if your Birks are too small for you. The correct size often strikes people as 'too big' when they try a pair of Birks on for the first time! If it's the Arizona sandals that you have, they should overlap the foot all around and clear the toes by half an inch. Perhaps the next size up would be all right? Just a thought.

You might also try a different style of Birk - they have hundreds now, though the basic Arizona is the one lots of (but not all) people here have used.

A chiropodist would be able to remove the calluses so that pressure on those areas doesn't cause pain.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/03/03 at 06:43 (107793)

JoAnn,

Julie's ideas are good ones.

I would recommend that you go to a Birkenstock store, if there is one within an hour or two of your location. Explain the problem to the fitter there and see if they can fit you a little better.

I have several different styles of Birkenstock. Because my feet are also wide like yours, I was wearing a size 40 that was really too long for me so the 'bumps' hit my foot in the wrong place. I went to a Birkenstock store and mentioned that fact to one of their fitters, who found that in my case I could wear a 39 in a certain style with the same classic footbed, due to the way the upper positioned my foot. I also got some in another footbed.

I've found that alternating between my various pairs of Birkenstocks gives my feet a rest and is a lot more comfortable than any one pair of them would be.

Some people here have liked Dansko clogs, so you might want to try them too.

Carole C

Barb C on 2/03/03 at 18:52 (107851)

Hi JoAnn,
Funny you should ask. I just got home from buying my new 'slippers'. I bought Haflinger wool clogs. They felt lighter than Birks, and are very roomie. I was laughing with the salesperson. Other people get to buy $18 Isotoners - and here I am with $80 things that no one will ever see! Let me wear them for a few days and I'll give you an update.

Mar on 2/04/03 at 13:10 (107938)

I use Clark clogs - soft, molded footbed and easier to get used to than the birks. Mar

Barb C on 2/10/03 at 22:08 (108762)

Hi JoAnn,
An update on my Haflinger clogs. I LOVE them! Very comfie. I would totally recommend them.

JoAnn on 2/12/03 at 01:01 (108899)

Thanks for the update. Do these clogs support your feet? Are there any other clogs I can look into that would be less expensive?

Mar on 2/12/03 at 06:58 (108903)

I don;t think any clogs totally support your foot, but any with the molded foot bed and sunker heel cup would be better than without. Mar