Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF, tingling

Posted by Tom on 2/03/03 at 13:06 (107819)

I have had PF for three years. I have high arches. I don't have the common morning PF pain, but my feet start to ache after being on them for over 5 minutes.
I have tingling when my feet are on the ground or I am up. The tingling is in the ball of the foot and the toes.
I wear night splints.
I have four pair of orthotics.
I ice after heavey use.
I just start to tape my feet most of the day.
I have tried several sets of injections.
I stretch the calf daily. I just realized that after I pull back on my toes for 30 seconds or more that I get more tingling. So I stopped this type of stretch.
I am not on my feet much during the day.
Any suggestions?
TG

Re: PF, tingling

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/03/03 at 14:23 (107825)

Tom:

Occasionally PF that seems difficult to resolve is not just PF. You are secribing some symptoms consistent with tarsal tunnel syndrome so I would get that checked out.
Ed

Tom on 2/03/03 at 17:00 (107843)

Thanks for the reply. Should I go to a nueralogist to check for TTS?

Tom on 2/03/03 at 17:06 (107846)

Dr. Davis,
I just want to add that the tingling is in the ball of the foot and the toes. This does not seem consistant with TTS. Or is it the case that the entrapment is in another part other than the tarsal Tunnel?
As I said when I stretch and pull back my toes, the tingling is there.
Thanks.
Tom

Julie on 2/04/03 at 04:31 (107892)

Tom

Tingling is usually an indication of nerve entrapment, but the question is, which nerve, and where is it being impinged? I would suggest that you have your spine checked out. One possibility is your sciatic nerve (which originates in the lower lumbar and has various branches ending in the foot), Do you have a history of back problems?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/04/03 at 15:21 (107974)

Tom:

Is the tingling in all the toes or just certain toes?

You could see a neurologist or a podiatrist. They may order a nerve conduction velocity tesst to try to pinpoint the prolematic area.
Ed

Tom on 2/05/03 at 08:11 (108063)

The tingling is mostly in the ball of my feet and the first three big toes. It could be in all of them though- for it is hard to tell exactly.
Thanks. TG

Tom on 2/05/03 at 15:55 (108105)

Ed,
After doing some more research, I realized that I could also have ATTS, beside PF. ATTS has been problematic with skiers with tight boots. Since I have very high arches, my orthotics support the arches high and my shoes fit very tightly in the top front of the foot. In fact, the tighter the shoe the more tingling I have.
Do you have any ideas?
I still get achy after 5 minutes on my feet.
Tom

Tom on 2/06/03 at 11:29 (108211)

Here is more information on my problem:
I have seen three different Podiatrists. The last one said that he was confident that it was not TTS. Another suggested relief surgery, cutting the plantar fascia near the heal. I have had three series of quartozone injections.
I have two types of orthotics and another type coming, and have bought over 10 pair of shoes.
I tried the TTS test, tapping near my ankle and have no Tinel's sign. Moreover, I have never had any achiness near that part of the anckle. My feet get achy after I am on them for a few minutes, as if I have been on them for a hour or longer.
I tried to golf(with a cart) yesterday for the first time in four months. My feet were a little sore. I noticed that they felt hot the rest of the day.
I wore my night splints and they felt better in the morning. But, after I took the splints off, I felt a slight bit of heat in them still. So, I can tell they have not completely recovered from the golf. So, I am not ready for that yet. Before I would just keep playing, hoping that I would just work through the pain. I know better now.
Do you have any suggestions?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/03/03 at 14:23 (107825)

Tom:

Occasionally PF that seems difficult to resolve is not just PF. You are secribing some symptoms consistent with tarsal tunnel syndrome so I would get that checked out.
Ed

Tom on 2/03/03 at 17:00 (107843)

Thanks for the reply. Should I go to a nueralogist to check for TTS?

Tom on 2/03/03 at 17:06 (107846)

Dr. Davis,
I just want to add that the tingling is in the ball of the foot and the toes. This does not seem consistant with TTS. Or is it the case that the entrapment is in another part other than the tarsal Tunnel?
As I said when I stretch and pull back my toes, the tingling is there.
Thanks.
Tom

Julie on 2/04/03 at 04:31 (107892)

Tom

Tingling is usually an indication of nerve entrapment, but the question is, which nerve, and where is it being impinged? I would suggest that you have your spine checked out. One possibility is your sciatic nerve (which originates in the lower lumbar and has various branches ending in the foot), Do you have a history of back problems?

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/04/03 at 15:21 (107974)

Tom:

Is the tingling in all the toes or just certain toes?

You could see a neurologist or a podiatrist. They may order a nerve conduction velocity tesst to try to pinpoint the prolematic area.
Ed

Tom on 2/05/03 at 08:11 (108063)

The tingling is mostly in the ball of my feet and the first three big toes. It could be in all of them though- for it is hard to tell exactly.
Thanks. TG

Tom on 2/05/03 at 15:55 (108105)

Ed,
After doing some more research, I realized that I could also have ATTS, beside PF. ATTS has been problematic with skiers with tight boots. Since I have very high arches, my orthotics support the arches high and my shoes fit very tightly in the top front of the foot. In fact, the tighter the shoe the more tingling I have.
Do you have any ideas?
I still get achy after 5 minutes on my feet.
Tom

Tom on 2/06/03 at 11:29 (108211)

Here is more information on my problem:
I have seen three different Podiatrists. The last one said that he was confident that it was not TTS. Another suggested relief surgery, cutting the plantar fascia near the heal. I have had three series of quartozone injections.
I have two types of orthotics and another type coming, and have bought over 10 pair of shoes.
I tried the TTS test, tapping near my ankle and have no Tinel's sign. Moreover, I have never had any achiness near that part of the anckle. My feet get achy after I am on them for a few minutes, as if I have been on them for a hour or longer.
I tried to golf(with a cart) yesterday for the first time in four months. My feet were a little sore. I noticed that they felt hot the rest of the day.
I wore my night splints and they felt better in the morning. But, after I took the splints off, I felt a slight bit of heat in them still. So, I can tell they have not completely recovered from the golf. So, I am not ready for that yet. Before I would just keep playing, hoping that I would just work through the pain. I know better now.
Do you have any suggestions?