Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

neurontin cream??????

Posted by kay on 2/03/03 at 18:00 (107850)

i just got home from seeing my pain doctor today. i want P.T. but she says she only wants to deal with one thing at a time. she says there is no proof that there is a scar tissue problem, but my ortho said there was, she said he didn't say it in the records. besides he dumped me and sent me to her, i feel like he just wanted to get rid of me. i am not content to settle for pain meds for the rest of my life.

this is what she is going to do. get a special cream made up that has neurontin in it. i already take 1500 a day of neurontin in pill form. now i will put this cream on my scar area.

i am so upset thinking that i was going to go there today and tell her what other doctors have said to me. that i need physical therapy. both my company doctor, and my gynecologist told me this. LOL,,, well she is a doctor.

so i said to the pain doctor what about the rest of my pain? i have pain besides the burning. i ask if the nerve being inflamed could cause the rest of my foot to hurt. is this true?
is this true? if she can fix the burning the rest of my foot could stop hurting?

i am so discouraged. i feel like we are not treating my foot agressively enough.

please....anyones thoughts?
kay

Re: neurontin cream??????

Julie on 2/04/03 at 04:47 (107894)

Kay

Reading your post makes me feel that you should trust your pain doctor. It sounds as though she has your interests very much at heart. She is trying to help you get your pain under control as the first priority. 'Aggressive' treatment, whether PT or something else, could make matters worse, complicating the situation and making it more difficult to deal with.

I have been reading and contributing to these boards for more than two years. In that time I have read of many people's experiences of physical therapy. Some have been helped by it, some have been made worse. Much depends on the experience and skill of the treating therapist, and much depends on what exactly is being treated. You may or may not need PT eventually, but in the short term my guess is that aggressive massage to break up scar tissue would very likely exacerbate your pain.

Be patient: I know it's easy to say and hard to do, but you've got to.

Nerve inflammation can cause referred pain elsewhere. I hope that if you and your doctor get this aspect under control, the result will be that your overall pain will be relieved to some extent. I don't 'know' this, it is my guess. All the more reason why your doctor is sensible to be taking it one step at a time.

kay on 2/05/03 at 08:40 (108069)

ok i decided that i am going to try to be patient, you are right.

but what really pee's me off is the fact that my orth doc kept blaming scar tissue for me not getting better and put nothing in my records about it. it doesn't make since.

kay

Julie on 2/05/03 at 08:47 (108071)

Good! It sounds as though you're on the right track.

Many things don't make sense - maybe he was wrong. Anyway, try to forget it now and concentrate on getting out of pain.

Julie on 2/04/03 at 04:47 (107894)

Kay

Reading your post makes me feel that you should trust your pain doctor. It sounds as though she has your interests very much at heart. She is trying to help you get your pain under control as the first priority. 'Aggressive' treatment, whether PT or something else, could make matters worse, complicating the situation and making it more difficult to deal with.

I have been reading and contributing to these boards for more than two years. In that time I have read of many people's experiences of physical therapy. Some have been helped by it, some have been made worse. Much depends on the experience and skill of the treating therapist, and much depends on what exactly is being treated. You may or may not need PT eventually, but in the short term my guess is that aggressive massage to break up scar tissue would very likely exacerbate your pain.

Be patient: I know it's easy to say and hard to do, but you've got to.

Nerve inflammation can cause referred pain elsewhere. I hope that if you and your doctor get this aspect under control, the result will be that your overall pain will be relieved to some extent. I don't 'know' this, it is my guess. All the more reason why your doctor is sensible to be taking it one step at a time.

kay on 2/05/03 at 08:40 (108069)

ok i decided that i am going to try to be patient, you are right.

but what really pee's me off is the fact that my orth doc kept blaming scar tissue for me not getting better and put nothing in my records about it. it doesn't make since.

kay

Julie on 2/05/03 at 08:47 (108071)

Good! It sounds as though you're on the right track.

Many things don't make sense - maybe he was wrong. Anyway, try to forget it now and concentrate on getting out of pain.