Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotic cured my Plantar Fasciaitis

Posted by Matt V. on 2/03/03 at 21:15 (107871)

After I armed myself with all the knowledge from the HEELSPURS.COM website, I went to visit a podiatrist. He couldn't tell me anything I didn't already know. But he did offer some great advice.

This is what worked for me:
--Take it easy for awhile - this meant instead of me walking 2 miles every day, I layed off the walk, took a bike to work.
--He prescribed a blood thinner, to 'work the blood past the injury.' His description was that an inflamed fascia was like a big bruise, and you want to clear it up by moving the 'old blood' away from the injury.
--The BEST PART was he told me to go down to R.E.I. (or any good sporting goods/outdoors/running shop) and buy a pair of Super Feet (green) orthotics. At first, they really don't feel that comfortable, (kind of stiff, in fact) and they don't look that impressive. But after about 6-8 weeks HEY- I noticed that I didn't have any more pain. NOW, I can walk all I want. I leave those Super Feet in my shoes because they feel just fine. I just wanted everyone to know what I found to work best for me. Try a pair. I think it cost me about $28-$30, but what a great relief! I consider myself CURED - all because of SUPER FEET. Be sure and get the green ones!

Re: Orthotic cured my Plantar Fasciaitis

Dr. Z on 2/03/03 at 21:28 (107872)

Hi

Great that you have no pain. Don't stop with the inserts. Many have to replace them in six months. I don't understand the blood thinner. What was the name of the medication?

nancy s. on 2/03/03 at 22:32 (107881)

thanks very much for your post, matt -- very thoughtful of you to write.

i usually wear birkenstocks, but sometimes have to wear snow boots or athletic shoes. so far, spenco inserts have felt the best to me when i have to wear non-birks, but i haven't tried super feet. your post has inspired me to try them. thanks again.

nancy

IanJ on 2/04/03 at 01:52 (107891)

Funny, I just received my green Super Feet today. I have been using PowerStep inserts which are similar but have a more pronounced arch and support. They're about the same price. I really like the PowerSteps but I thought I'd try Super Feet to see if I improve at all with them. I'm just wearing them around the house for now to break them in. So far they feel okay but not great. We'll see. The PowerSteps were uncomfortable at first too.

IanJ on 2/06/03 at 17:23 (108258)

Ok, the Super Feet are starting to become more comfortable now. They feel quite a bit different than the Powersteps. I would say the Super Feet have less of an arch but a more pronounced heel cup. My forefeet feel more 'scrunched up' with the Super Feet and maybe that is from the heelcup scrunching up the heel which passes that forward?

Overall I'm starting to like them now. It feels a bit like I have my feet taped up but more comfortable.

More later...

nancy s. on 2/06/03 at 17:38 (108263)

ian, when you say the superfeet have a more pronounced heel cup than the powersteps, do you mean that the heel of the insert is thicker and sets your heel up higher in your shoe?

also, how do you feel about the superfeet having less of an arch? do you have high, medium, or low arches? did the powersteps arch bother you at all?

and another question! (i'll run out of them soon.) have you by any chance tried spenco inserts? that's what i wear when i'm not in my birks, but i feel i need a bit more of an arch; however, my arches are low and can't take TOO much arch either.

i'm interested because i'd like to try something other than the spencos, and can't figure out which to try. if you can do any more comparing, i'd appreciate anything you can tell me.

thanks from nancy
p.s. Are you still in pt and how is it going?

IanJ on 2/08/03 at 00:04 (108437)

'do you mean that the heel of the insert is thicker and sets your heel up higher in your shoe?' No, I mean that the heel section of the Superfeet has more of a cup and supports the heel quite a bit better.

'also, how do you feel about the superfeet having less of an arch? do you have high, medium, or low arches? did the PowerSteps arch bother you at all?' Yes the Superfeet have significantly less of an arch. I have medium-high to high arches. The Powersteps bothered me the first time I tried them but I let them rest then tried them again. My feet got used to them. Currently the Superfeet are now very comfortable and now the Powerstep arch seems too pronounced to me.

I have some Spencos I bought when my feet first became injured but now can't go near them. No support at all. Spencos retail for about $20 while both the Superfeet and Powerstep retail for $30 which is all pretty cheap considering the pain from PF. I think you should definitely try the Superfeet.

I am still in PT and have about 4 more treatments. I think my feet might be healing and I'm hoping these Superfeet might also be beneficial (also I don't wear socks!). I am currently getting ultrasound and T.E.N.S. (i think it's tens, anyway some sort of electrical stimulation). My podiatrist said that if the 12 PT treatments in total don't work, he would have me consider casting my feet (hopefully 1 at a time!). Also I have arch pain, not heal pain.

Good luck!

nancy s. on 2/08/03 at 07:23 (108441)

thanks so much, ian; your info is very helpful. if you found the spencos too low in the arch, and the powersteps a bit high, i think you're right that the superfeet are the next thing for me to try. i need more arch than the spencos, but not a lot more. also, i like the sound of the superfeet heel support. i definitely need that.

i'm so glad to hear that the superfeet and your p.t. are helping you and that you feel like you're healing. that's great news!

thanks again from nancy

Dr. Z on 2/03/03 at 21:28 (107872)

Hi

Great that you have no pain. Don't stop with the inserts. Many have to replace them in six months. I don't understand the blood thinner. What was the name of the medication?

nancy s. on 2/03/03 at 22:32 (107881)

thanks very much for your post, matt -- very thoughtful of you to write.

i usually wear birkenstocks, but sometimes have to wear snow boots or athletic shoes. so far, spenco inserts have felt the best to me when i have to wear non-birks, but i haven't tried super feet. your post has inspired me to try them. thanks again.

nancy

IanJ on 2/04/03 at 01:52 (107891)

Funny, I just received my green Super Feet today. I have been using PowerStep inserts which are similar but have a more pronounced arch and support. They're about the same price. I really like the PowerSteps but I thought I'd try Super Feet to see if I improve at all with them. I'm just wearing them around the house for now to break them in. So far they feel okay but not great. We'll see. The PowerSteps were uncomfortable at first too.

IanJ on 2/06/03 at 17:23 (108258)

Ok, the Super Feet are starting to become more comfortable now. They feel quite a bit different than the Powersteps. I would say the Super Feet have less of an arch but a more pronounced heel cup. My forefeet feel more 'scrunched up' with the Super Feet and maybe that is from the heelcup scrunching up the heel which passes that forward?

Overall I'm starting to like them now. It feels a bit like I have my feet taped up but more comfortable.

More later...

nancy s. on 2/06/03 at 17:38 (108263)

ian, when you say the superfeet have a more pronounced heel cup than the powersteps, do you mean that the heel of the insert is thicker and sets your heel up higher in your shoe?

also, how do you feel about the superfeet having less of an arch? do you have high, medium, or low arches? did the powersteps arch bother you at all?

and another question! (i'll run out of them soon.) have you by any chance tried spenco inserts? that's what i wear when i'm not in my birks, but i feel i need a bit more of an arch; however, my arches are low and can't take TOO much arch either.

i'm interested because i'd like to try something other than the spencos, and can't figure out which to try. if you can do any more comparing, i'd appreciate anything you can tell me.

thanks from nancy
p.s. Are you still in pt and how is it going?

IanJ on 2/08/03 at 00:04 (108437)

'do you mean that the heel of the insert is thicker and sets your heel up higher in your shoe?' No, I mean that the heel section of the Superfeet has more of a cup and supports the heel quite a bit better.

'also, how do you feel about the superfeet having less of an arch? do you have high, medium, or low arches? did the PowerSteps arch bother you at all?' Yes the Superfeet have significantly less of an arch. I have medium-high to high arches. The Powersteps bothered me the first time I tried them but I let them rest then tried them again. My feet got used to them. Currently the Superfeet are now very comfortable and now the Powerstep arch seems too pronounced to me.

I have some Spencos I bought when my feet first became injured but now can't go near them. No support at all. Spencos retail for about $20 while both the Superfeet and Powerstep retail for $30 which is all pretty cheap considering the pain from PF. I think you should definitely try the Superfeet.

I am still in PT and have about 4 more treatments. I think my feet might be healing and I'm hoping these Superfeet might also be beneficial (also I don't wear socks!). I am currently getting ultrasound and T.E.N.S. (i think it's tens, anyway some sort of electrical stimulation). My podiatrist said that if the 12 PT treatments in total don't work, he would have me consider casting my feet (hopefully 1 at a time!). Also I have arch pain, not heal pain.

Good luck!

nancy s. on 2/08/03 at 07:23 (108441)

thanks so much, ian; your info is very helpful. if you found the spencos too low in the arch, and the powersteps a bit high, i think you're right that the superfeet are the next thing for me to try. i need more arch than the spencos, but not a lot more. also, i like the sound of the superfeet heel support. i definitely need that.

i'm so glad to hear that the superfeet and your p.t. are helping you and that you feel like you're healing. that's great news!

thanks again from nancy